Setup & Software Discussions
rEFind not work on 2018 13" MacBookPro

rEFind not work on 2018 13" MacBookPro  

RSS

(@mrgaolei)

When press option startup, I found that in 2018 MacBookPro, the Apple Logo show up before OS switch menu.
Did that means the T2 ship boot before OS switch menu?

So the rEFind does not work on it?

Has any one install success on 2018 MacBook?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

After you install rEFInd in terminal, you just reboot.

The computer will restart showing the Apple logo for about 3 seconds and automatically switch to the rEFInd menu.

No need to hold the option key at reboot.

Works on my 15” 2018 MBP

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@mrgaolei)

I know that rEFind will auto show when I restart, but it doesn't.

When I install rEFind and restart, no any menu.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Read the rEFInd documentation.

Check nvram boot variables to make sure they are pointing to the rEFInd partition and efi file.

Use the bless command to change the nvram boot variables to point to rEFInd.

You many need to disable SIP.

Usually, the Apple logo does not show unless macOS is booting. Therefore, if you see that then rEFInd won't boot. You must press the option key before the Apple logo appears if you want a chance to boot something else. But if what you're both saying about the 2018 MacBook Pro is true (that the Apple logo appears before anything is booting) then that's very interesting.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@mrgaolei)

csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

Btw, Mojave beta 5

ReplyQuote
(@yukinsnow)

I guess you need this~
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208330

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The 2018 MacBook Pros have a two-phase booting process. As soon as you hit the POWER button or open the lid, you’ll see the Apple logo (even if you hold down OPTION key). This first phase is the T2 chip checking over the subsystem.

The second phase is the similar to the boot process prior to Apple adding this T2 chip. You can engage option boot selector screen, boot into Recovery. In order to boot an external source or third party boot manager, you need to change the settings in Startup Security Settings [Utilities in Recovery].

I set my Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to allows booting from external media. rEFInd has been working fine on my 2018 13″ MacBook Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

mrgaolei liked
ReplyQuote
(@mrgaolei)

Thanks, that's fix.

ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member

Im actually having the same problem.
Secure boot and external media correctly configured but refind just isnt listed as an available boot option.
Either on the startup boot selector, or inside macos
using APFS & FIlevault if that matters.

ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member

So SIP is disabled.
Extrenal media boot is allowed
Secure boot is off
Tried running refind-install a few times ... 
I only see macOS and Bootcamp in the boot menu, no way of booting into refind.

ReplyQuote
ken902
(@ken902)

hey guys i had a kinda different issue with refin ,but couldn't seem to find someone with similar issue
when i boot in refind and to windows it works fine. but when boot to mac os ,it will be stuck in a white screen for like a minute
,and when finally booted in macos typing in in password and hit enter will cause it to freeze and have to shut it down by press and holding the power button.
do anyone have this problem or know how to fix it??
(i have a 2018 mbp 13" macos10.13.6)

ReplyQuote