Reinstalling Drivers to get NVIDIA GPU to Work
After lurking a while I decided to make them jump to an eGPU setup.
My set up is as follows:
13" HP Spectre
- Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
- Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB.
144Hz LG External Monitor plugged to eGPU with DP.
To get my monitor / GPU to work I always have to plug the thunderbolt 3 after my laptop is on. I also have to resintall the NVIDIA drivers using GeForce Experience.
Is this a common issue, and are there resources about this that I could read? I'm not even sure how to describe the problem properly so I'm not sure what to look under the How-To.
Thanks for the help, it's very appreciated!
@rontt, How did you install Nvidia drivers the first time? I'd recommend using DDU to remove all Nvidia graphics drivers and open OPTIONS to disable Windows auto detect and install of new devices. That way you can control the exact version of graphics drivers being used.
@itsage, thank you for the help.
I had to go to the GeForce website and select the card, my PC would not detect it otherwise. Peripherals plugged on the Core ports were working from the start, for what it's worth. Is the OPTIONS menu you're referring to on the DDU?
I looked into the DDU but I did not want to meddle too much into all those settings. I ended up just trying things out and experimenting a bit more.
In case it's helpful to anyone in the future these are a couple of things that work for me.
- Turn the computer on while the eGPU is unplugged and then plug it in.
- On the left-hand corner of Windows always disconnect/connect the eGPU before unplugging / plugging (like we were supposed to with USB sticks).
That basically fixed most of my issues.
A few last notes:
- For whatever reason my computer was not charging from the eGPU thunderbolt once and it completely drained. It has not happened again so haven't troubleshot more, I suspect it could be related to having a docking station plugged to the other thunderbolt port.
- I did get the blue screen + "Operating System did not shut down cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata..." once or twice. Also has not happened often enough to root cause it.
- Peripherals on eGPU stopped working and then started working. No idea why, has not happened often enough.
I'll try to post my built at some point with some of these notes.