RX 580 vs GTX 1070 over Thunderbolt 1. Will be noticeable the performance differ...

Notifications
Clear all

RX 580 vs GTX 1070 over Thunderbolt 1. Will be noticeable the performance difference?  

RSS

rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

Hi there.

I currently have an Akitio Thunder 2 with a Gigabyte 1070 SC mini and I'm using it perfectly with my 2012 MacbookPro over Thunderbolt 1. I can actually play VR games with my HTC Vive even using supersampling and play regular games with ultra settings (1080p) without any problem. The thing is I'd like to use my eGPU in macOS too and use the brand new features from High Sierra. (I'd like to be able to use Unity to developing VR apps without having to use Bootcamp) so I'm considering changing my 1070 for an ATI card.

Since Vega cards are insanely expensive and nearly impossible to find I'm thinking of getting a RX 580 but I'm concerned about performance issues. Then again, I know I'm loosing a certain percentage of graphic power because TB1 bandwidth so I wonder if I will actually notice the card change since they both could be limited by the TB1 bandwidth.

Am I right? Anyone has experience with this? Any resource where I could check the performance over TB1?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
chinsteig
(@chinsteig)
Trusted Member

You could try running a benchmark with the 1070 and comparing it with the benchmarks from other use cases. This can show how much loss you get from TB1. Until you have the RX 580 I'm not sure how to see the performance hit using TB1.

Edit: I looked for user guides and these guys use TB1 with a 580. You could try asking them for benchmarks after you do your own.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-mac-mini-rx-580-8g10g-tb2-tb3-adaptor-sonnet-breakaway-350/

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-13-15-macbook-pro-akitio-node-rx58010gbps-tb1-via-tb3-to-tb-adapter-macos/

Mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro > ASUS XG Station Pro > RX 5700 XT > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

Thank you, chinsteig. I'll try that approach. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote