[Solved] Simultaneous gtx 1080 & older titan x tb2?  

RSS

alexco
(@alexco)
January 14, 2017 7:21 pm  

Anyone seeing the infinite circle of dots during boot?

tl;dr:

I got a new setup - razer pro - & I'm am trying to get it running with my old akitio tb2 titan x setup.

after I install the cuda 8 driver package with the eGPU card visible via the apple tb3 converter the system hangs on boot.

Any ideas why this might be hanging?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
alexco
(@alexco)
January 16, 2017 12:38 am  

I finally solved this problem after a few re-installs.

I think the key is to only install the driver - don't let cuda or the driver package install all of the extras.

For some reason, probably unrelated, I couldn't get bash under Ubuntu under windows working if I installed the drivers first.

I first installed developer mode & bash, then basic cuda, then the drivers.

Otoy octane benchmark (3.04) comes in at 211  

Uningine Heaven comes in at 2349 - the strange thing to me is that it performs better on the thunderbolt display than the native laptop display.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Morv
 Morv
(@morv)
Eminent Member
January 16, 2017 10:43 pm  
Posted by: alexco

Uningine Heaven comes in at 2349 - the strange thing to me is that it performs better on the thunderbolt display than the native laptop display.

Using the eGPU on external displays always yields better performance than using the eGPU on the internal display of a notebook. That's eGPU basics 101 😉

ReplyQuote
alexco
(@alexco)
January 16, 2017 10:53 pm  

Yes - I would expect that if you drove the external monitor from the eGPU

My external monitor is on the thunderbolt 2 bus.

e.g:

laptop -> eGPU -> monitor via hdmi

my setup was:

laptop -> internal gtx 1080

-> tb3 2 tb2 adapter ->  AKiTio Tb2 -> Titan X -> no monitor

->  tb pass-through bus -> Thunderbolt 2 Display

I would have guessed that the internal gtx 1080 would have more bandwidth to the internal display than the tb2 pass-through.   Both cards are used for compute. 

If I had a non-tb display attached to the titan x, I'd expect that would be the fastest.

ReplyQuote