So what is the plan long term for Windows?

Notifications
Clear all

So what is the plan long term for Windows?  

RSS

Leon Woodward
(@leon_woodward)
Eminent Member

I've had my windows paralysed to version 1809 for months and months, waiting for a version to come out that will support eGPU's. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I never thought the issue would persist for more than a few weeks yet here we are almost a year later right?

I think in general the software support for eGPU is awful, and is the biggest factor pushing me away from my current set up. Anyone think the same?

Leon

Laptop: Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen1 w/ i7-8750H GTX 1050 Max-Q dGPU
eGPU Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma
eGPU: RX 5700XT
Cable: Caldigit 2m TB3 Active Cable

2018 15" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 960 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nutype
(@nutype)

@leon_woodward

I dont follow developments that closely, but you should definitely look around for more information. As far as I know, there isn't a need to stay on 1809. Personally I had no problems with 1909, and recently updated to 20H2, also no problems. 

2020 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

I've been opted-in to the beta channel of insider for a long time, never experienced any problems with my eGPU or Windows 10 in general. Seems perfectly stable to me. I suppose YMMV as it's not like I have not seen news once in a while about some bug of some sort, I just haven't seen them myself, and I'm obviously closer to the bleeding edge than major release distributions to general availability.

I'm currently on

[Please login to see this]

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote