Setup & Software Discussions
Sonnet 650w / Radeon 580RX XFX / 2018 Mac Mini / OS X Catalina / Win 10 / Bootca...

Sonnet 650w / Radeon 580RX XFX / 2018 Mac Mini / OS X Catalina / Win 10 / Bootcamp  

RSS

ucs308
(@ucs308)

Trying to setup BootCamp on a 2018 Mac mini, with Windows 10 and Mac OS I had problems on various levels. Using Catalina I have a stable system provided I don't try to use the eGPU. The moment the eGPU comes into play I have problems on the Mac and on Windows. I reduced the number of Thunderbolt devices connected to just 1xSamsung X5 drive in the far right TB port (looking from the front) and the Sonnet 650w box plugged into the far left TB port. 

I decided to install the developer edition of Catalina, simply because Mojave was so painful. Rather than list all the issues I have had I want to start by asking this one question. 

I have 2 display port monitors plugged into the 580x. When I can actually boot into windows and have windows see the eGPU, the card and the monitors ( 1 out of 5 times), I end up with windows thinking I have 3 monitors. My mouse will disappear and apparently traverse this phantom monitor. I can pull up display settings and I can rearrange all three monitors including the phantom monitor. Occasionally the phantom monitor is the main display for windows, which means any applications I open, cannot be seen, or interacted with. If I plug a HDMI cable into the 3rd port on the RX580 and the other end into the one of the monitors that already has a DisplayPort Cable, Windows then thinks I have 4 monitors. The output to the HDMI screen can be seen by selecting the HDMI input on the monitor. The Radeon Settings App recognizes there are only 2 or three monitors attached to the card, even though windows thinks there is an additional monitor attached. 

I don't really know how to start with diagnosing this, I don't know what info would be needed in order to get an idea of what is going. 

My question? Why is this happening and how can I stop it? Is it a driver issue, a windows issue, an Apple Issue, a Sonnet Issue? 

System 1: Mac Mini 2018 / i7 16GB / iGPU Intel 630 / eGPU Radeon RX 580 (XFX varient) + Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W / Windows 10 via Bootcamp / Mac OS Catalina ( beta 8)

ReplyQuote
ucs308
(@ucs308)

I think my problem may lie somewhere here https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/ So I'll follow that thread and post again if I am still stuck.

System 1: Mac Mini 2018 / i7 16GB / iGPU Intel 630 / eGPU Radeon RX 580 (XFX varient) + Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W / Windows 10 via Bootcamp / Mac OS Catalina ( beta 8)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ucs308 Yes I was going to say check your Windows 10 OS Build to make sure it’s not the bad version. If that doesn’t work it might be the XFX card you have. Some XFX have firmware that’s incompatible with Macs.

This post was modified 2 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ucs308
(@ucs308)

@itsage Do you recall which firmware is bad? My return window for the 580x ends in a couple of days and I do have the option to change it for a sapphire 580x. I have read in places that the Sapphire is a better card for eGPU attached yo a mac. 

Thanks for your comments. I’ll check out the Windows version tomorrow. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ucs308 What’s the model number of your XFX RX 580?

ReplyQuote
ucs308
(@ucs308)

@itsage According to Amazon this is the card i bought  

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6)

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

It has a dual BIOS switch. Maybe toggle the switch to the other position and see whether it works in macOS.

ReplyQuote
ucs308
(@ucs308)

OK. I am going to go back to Window 18326.295 and see how things work.

ReplyQuote