Sonnet Breakaway 350W + Yoga 920 = Power drain

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway 350W + Yoga 920 = Power drain  

RSS

niirb
(@niirb)

Hi there!

New eGPU owner here. I did some homework before buying an eGPU box and from my understanding the set up was supposed to be fine. 350W box with an RX 580.

The usage of the egpu box is pretty much plug and play, however, as I'm using the box I do not get any power delivery/get isufficent power delivery. The laptop registers it as a power delivery device and the battery icon does switching to "charing".

From my understanding the RX580 should use 220W at max, the Yoga has a 65W power adapter so that should be more than enough right? There should even be some headroom.

And even if this is not the option, when I plug in the power adapter as well that does not seem to help at all, the power drain keeps happening.

I've seen someone have a simillar issue with a MBP 13 but they stated that this was "fixed" at one point. https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-15-MacBook-pro-rp560x-gt1080-sonnet-egfx-breakaway-box-350-macos-10-14-windows-10-bootcamp/

Thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

According to https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html , there were two eGFX Breakaway Box 350W. One had up to 60W charging and the other only had 15W charging. The same numbers are listed in the eGPU.io Buyer's Guide.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
niirb
(@niirb)

@joevt, thanks Jovet. I bought my second hand so I suppose I ended up with the 15W model.

Interestingly enough, this one does charge the laptop while it is not active - this is not the case with other 15W chargers I've tried on the laptop.

To give a update for anyone who might stumble upon this topic. Plugging in the AC adapter first and then the egpu lets me use the egpu while getting power from the AC adapater. So while 2 cables are needed it still delivers are pretty great gaming expereince Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote