Sonnet Breakaway box with 2016 macbook pro 15" (touchbar)  

RSS

doobady
(@doobady)
May 23, 2018 1:31 pm  

Hello, new to this website.
I just ordered a Breakaway box for my macbook, primarily for bootcamp gaming. 
And only after that did I realize I needed an external display to get it to work...? 
Well, I don't have one and I am not planning to buy one. I was planning to use the box with a gtx 1070 card, but if I cannot use it with the internal display of my laptop I guess I will have to return it... 

If you have any thoughts or reliable guides, please help. I did look for my specific setup on the "builds" tab, but couldn't find any that were successful.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 23, 2018 2:56 pm  

If you were to game in macOS then an external monitor is a necessity. In Bootcamp Windows, it's possible to use eGPU internal display acceleration. Refer to my eGPU Bootcamp setup guide to get it going. I have the same 2016 15" MacBook Pro. The eGPU enclosures don't make much of a difference anymore because the majority of them share the same chipsets.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
doobady
(@doobady)
May 23, 2018 3:21 pm  

Wow! I love how active this website is. Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not going to cancel the order now 🙂

Two questions :
 - What would you choose between the breakaway box and the gaming box (given that both has a 1070)? The gaming box is definitely visually appealing but I have seen many reports of it malfunctioning after only a few months of use (from Amazon reviews). 
 - Do you know if I can put a mini (single fan, that is, 1070 in this case) gpu into the breakaway box and get it to work? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter but just to be sure...

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 23, 2018 3:36 pm  

The ITX 1070 inside the Gaming Box can work on any eGPU enclosure and desktop. In my observations, the Gigabyte Gaming Boxes have more unusual power issues than the other enclosures. This is likely related to the fATX power supply in these boxes. I have not had one died on me though. They typically need a power reset (unplug from wall for 10 minutes) to resume working.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
doobady
(@doobady)
May 23, 2018 11:22 pm  

Thanks for the help! Looking forward for my breakaway box to arrive. I'll do a review or something once I get it.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote