Setup & Software Discussions
Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  4
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

0. Start with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Build 1803. (It may work with another build or not-so-fresh installation, but this is confirmed. And this is best way to avoid dreaded Error 12).

A) nVidia cards:
1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system into the right side TB3 ports.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself.
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but yellow banged (Error 14 or 43)

YellowbangedNvidiaCard

4. Right-click on it and "Disable device", followed by "Enabled device". No reboot necessary.
5. Finished. If you have an external monitor, it will display a windows desktop.
6. Before you boot next time => go to Step C7!
(Note: With nVidia cards Step C7 can be avoided, by unplugging the eGPU during boot and hotplugging it after Windows is fully loaded)

B) AMD cards:

1. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
(Important Note: Why bootcampdrivers drivers? Because standard AMD drivers (eGPU) and Apple AMD drivers (dGPU) collide, bootcampdrivers support both.)

2. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
3. Uninstall all AMD Drivers with the Tool "DDU" which is coming with the Bootcampdrivers.
4. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 1, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters". Reboot without eGPU.

5. HotPlug eGPU => AMD eGPU will be yellow banged with error 12.
6. Reboot, but before you reboot => Go to Step C7.

C) AMD+nVidia: Preparation that internal display will be working after reboot:

7. Uninstall the eGPU directly from Device Manager: (Do not delete the drivers)

UninstallDeviceError12
UninstgallDeviceError12B

8) Reboot immediately. Done:

UninstgallDeviceError12C

This topic was modified 1 month ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

Squuiid and sabrefv liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

How do you uninstall the 560x drivers? IS that what the screen shots are showing? When I run DDU on my 2016 (ok, not the models listed here) I lose output to my LG 5K so I need a different solution...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Stupid_Mac
(@stupid_mac)

Hardware: mid 2017 15"MBP Radeon Pro 555 model, with HP omen accelerator, the best I Can tell is my Omen is basically non responsive when plugged into my system at any point. This is in bootcamp as well, is there any fancy step to getting the system detected?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

How do you uninstall the 560x drivers? IS that what the screen shots are showing? When I run DDU on my 2016 (ok, not the models listed here) I lose output to my LG 5K so I need a different solution...

How are you connecting the 5k to your laptop? Through the eGPU video card? or through your Laptop?

In any case, I never thought of this! I will definitively try it!

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

ReplyQuote
(@albatraoz)

Hmm, I've noticed this method seems to work for me initially (most of the time). However I've found after a period of about 10 minutes the whole Windows 10 OS seems to freeze / lock up. Has anybody else experienced this behaviour before? 

Strange as when testing this the first couple of times it wouldn't lock up after any time period.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

There are two ways.
1) Using the Software DDU (the safe and recommended way)
2) Uninstalling from DeviceManager, it is not what is displayed in the screenshots, but similar and you have to check "Delete the drivers software for this device".

Posted by: Stupid_Mac

Hardware: mid 2017 15"MBP Radeon Pro 555 model, with HP omen accelerator, the best I Can tell is my Omen is basically non responsive when plugged into my system at any point. This is in bootcamp as well, is there any fancy step to getting the system detected?

When you hotplug your eGPU, it is automatically detected. Sometimes the system seems to stop, but only for a few second and then it's normal again. If your eGPU is not detected or your system doesn't respond anymore, there is something wrong with either software or hardware.

@mac_editor, are there any news on an automatically uninstall of eGPUs on shutdown?

This post was modified 6 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb haven’t had time to work on it further. Dealing with a busy college schedule at the moment.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Stupid_Mac
(@stupid_mac)

Thank you very Much I'm Presuming there is something up with the Enclosure itself, HP released a Firmware update for it to address this sort of issue but without the station being detected let alone the eGPU it makes it a little difficult for me to update the firmware but ill find a way. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Sideflap
(@sideflap)

Hi everyone,

I followed these steps and was able to get my Vega 64 to work properly on my 2017 MBP 15", with an external monitor. My only (large) caveat is that I'm unable to use an peripherals - about 30 seconds after I plug in a mouse or keyboard, the computer freezes and requires a restart.

I'm plugging the EGPU thunderbolt in the left side of the computer on its own, and attempt to plug my mice/keyboard on the right side.

Tips? Is there a USB controller that I need to install/uninstall/disable in device manager? I see these by default, but aren't sure if they're at the root of the issue:

1. Apple USB Composite Device
2. Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
3. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

1803 is what I got, I didn't have to DSDT and this was the only way to get both dGPU and eGPU working. Also wonder if the BIOS version in the MAC(updated by OSX) also affects this. For some reason bootcampdrivers.com manages to allocate the eGPU properly, so what happens about that 32 space addressing as being the root case of code 12? Is bootcampdrivers doing the same thing as DSDT?

Thanks so much @oliverb for jumping on my thread and helping out. I didn't have to do a DSDT!

Sytem InfoiMAC Late 2015. dGPU AMD M390, OSX 10.12.6, Windows 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804(1803). GYGABYTE AORUS RX580 miniITX eGPU my signature

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Sideflap

Hi everyone,

I followed these steps and was able to get my Vega 64 to work properly on my 2017 MBP 15", with an external monitor. My only (large) caveat is that I'm unable to use an peripherals - about 30 seconds after I plug in a mouse or keyboard, the computer freezes and requires a restart.

I'm plugging the EGPU thunderbolt in the left side of the computer on its own, and attempt to plug my mice/keyboard on the right side.

Tips? Is there a USB controller that I need to install/uninstall/disable in device manager? I see these by default, but aren't sure if they're at the root of the issue:

1. Apple USB Composite Device
2. Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
3. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Thanks!

My peripherals work, but I noticed one of the "extra function" keys on my keyboard doesn't anymore.

Sytem InfoiMAC Late 2015. dGPU AMD M390, OSX 10.12.6, Windows 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804(1803). GYGABYTE AORUS RX580 miniITX eGPU my signature

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Albatraoz

Hmm, I've noticed this method seems to work for me initially (most of the time). However I've found after a period of about 10 minutes the whole Windows 10 OS seems to freeze / lock up. Has anybody else experienced this behaviour before? 

Strange as when testing this the first couple of times it wouldn't lock up after any time period.

I've only done it ONCE and the only things I noticed were:

• Function key on my Kinesis keyboard stopped working,
  • When in GAME MODE I take a screenshot, the internal screen flickers with a purple color ATOP the game as if drawing and redrawing the overlay with something other than full transparency.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: abelviking

1803 is what I got, I didn't have to DSDT and this was the only way to get both dGPU and eGPU working. Also wonder if the BIOS version in the MAC(updated by OSX) also affects this. For some reason bootcampdrivers.com manages to allocate the eGPU properly, so what happens about that 32 space addressing as being the root case of code 12? Is bootcampdrivers doing the same thing as DSDT?

Thanks so much @oliverb for jumping on my thread and helping out. I didn't have to do a DSDT!

I am still wondering why you though in the first place you need a DSDT. There is a lot of confusion about this topic.

To your question about the bootcampdrivers doing a DSDT: No, they aren't. It's Windows itself that is allocating the resources correctly when you boot with the AMD eGPU plugged in.

Only (and big) problem is, that the internal screen goes black, normally. But with this "uninstall trick" you can avoid this. The bootcampdrivers are necessary, because they support both AMD GPUs at once (dGPU and eGPU). The default Apple dGPU drivers go havoc with another AMD (e)GPU and so they can't be used in this setup.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: OliverB

There are two ways.
2) Uninstalling from DeviceManager, it is not what is displayed in the screenshots, but similar and you have to check "Delete the drivers software for this device".

I think I could clarify this, but unfortunately I am not able to edit my opening post anymore?! @itsage?

I missed this reply! Will try the second method and see if that gets me any further.

@teltersat the only way to connect the 5K is to the laptop directly as its TB3 and non GPU's have TB3.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I missed this reply! Will try the second method and see if that gets me any further.

Ah funny, I was prosing you try this guide seconds ago in another thread.

What problems did you encounter in removing the GPU drivers? This should work for any model and DDU is very reliable. I am doing this very often.

ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

@teltersat the only way to connect the 5K is to the laptop directly as its TB3 and non GPU's have TB3.

Good point! I forgot that panel is TB3-only...

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Posted by: abelviking

I am still wondering why you though in the first place you need a DSDT. There is a lot of confusion about this topic.

To your question about the bootcampdrivers doing a DSDT: No, they aren't. It's Windows itself that is allocating the resources correctly when you boot with the AMD eGPU plugged in.

Only (and big) problem is, that the internal screen goes black, normally. But with this "uninstall trick" you can avoid this. The bootcampdrivers are necessary, because they support both AMD GPUs at once (dGPU and eGPU). The default Apple dGPU drivers go havoc with another AMD (e)GPU and so they can't be used in this setup.

Well that answers what I posted on my original thread to which you replied to with this one. Thanks!
Still wondering why the keyboard is wonky but solid stable performance so far. I get about 120% increase in performance I would say and I don't even know if the firmware is optimized for HD2.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

There are two ways.

I think I could clarify this, but unfortunately I am not able to edit my opening post anymore?! @itsage?

"Uninstalling from DeviceManager, it is not what is displayed in the screenshots, but similar and you have to check "Delete the drivers software for this device"."

I've never uninstalled the drivers on mine....only have removed the device.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

This guide is as important as it can be. It never fails and always works. No hacks, no dangerous injections, no bootloaders.
The guide for every eGPU Fan!

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Other method to avoid internal black screen:

A) Hotplug eGPU after Windows has been fully loaded.

For nVidia cards it's done. AMD cards, however will be yellow banged with Error 12, so:

B) Uninstall it directly from Device Manager: (Do not delete the drivers)

UninstallDeviceError12
UninstgallDeviceError12B

C) Reboot. Done:

UninstgallDeviceError12C

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb you should put this guide in your signature, still need to give it a go with my 2016...

On every single MacBookPro I have tried (and there are a couple now) it worked perfectly. I haven't tried on 15-inch 2016 yet... do you have such one?

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Hey @oliverb
I am switching to an RTX 2070 and get stuck on Error 12 with either Windows Update drivers or NVIDA website's drivers. One thing the thread doesn't mention is that when you Disable a device in Device Manager Windows asks you to reboot. I cannot reboot with the 2070 attached because even the EFI won't boot and hotplugging afterwards just restarts the cycle with back to Code 12. Am I missing something?

Note: to Refresh the OS all I did was DDU the AMD drivers, and consequently the NVIDA and Windows Update drivers in further testing. I tried all four combinations with Bootcampdrivers.com/Windows Update for AMD and NVIDIA/Windows Update RTX 2070 drivers. So far, no luck. Would it be possible I have to reinstall the OS. That sounds painful and rather DSDT from Windows Registry.

P.S. This videocard has a usb-c port and driver, those devices also get Code 12.

Edit: Same brand - AORUS

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@abelviking,

When it's asking you to reboot, don't  do it. That's a giving, only reboot, when it's explicitely said.
e.g. "4. Right-click on it and "Disable device", followed by "Enabled device". No reboot necessary."

About your problem: I never had Error 12 with an nVidia card. I had a RTX2080Ti, which shouldn't be different to yours and no Error 12. Now there are two possibilities for this:

1) You have a defective hardware.
2) You have a faulty software.

As always 2) is the much more common thing. You can rule out 1) by changing something. For eGPUs I like to change the OS or computer. If this doesn't on both, hardware is defective.
I would guess on 2). The most important step of my guide is 0:
"Start with a fresh installation of windows".
Once I was permanently stuck with Error 12, too, and it was a faulty Windows, I restored a system image (always having such on an external NVMe SSD, 60EUR, the best invested money ever), and Error 12 was gone.

EDIT: What hardware do you have? I don't think DSDT Override helps. I never used it.

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

@abelviking,

When it's asking you to reboot, don't  do it. That's a giving, only reboot, when it's explicitely said.
e.g. "4. Right-click on it and "Disable device", followed by "Enabled device". No reboot necessary."

About your problem: I never had Error 12 with an nVidia card. I had a RTX2080Ti, which shouldn't be different to yours and no Error 12. Now there are two possibilities for this:

1) You have a defective hardware.
2) You have a faulty software.

As always 2) is the much more common thing. You can rule out 1) by changing something. For eGPUs I like to change the OS or computer. If this doesn't on both, hardware is defective.
I would guess on 2). The most important step of my guide is 0:
"Start with a fresh installation of windows".
Once I was permanently stuck with Error 12, too, and it was a faulty Windows, I restored a system image (always having such on an external NVMe SSD, 60EUR, the best invested money ever), and Error 12 was gone.

EDIT: What hardware do you have? I don't think DSDT Override helps. I never used it.

I have the iMAC late 2015 on a 6500k i5 with the AORUS 2070. Same brand as the 580 that we got to work thanks to you. Is brand new, but it could be faulty. I wouldn't know how to test the hardware to isolate the problem since the only other tb3 computer I've access to is on OSX and I can't make changes to it. I have messed with the OS since you helped me install the Radeon 580 by installing some PS3-> Xbox360 controller emulator. It is a possibility then that that is the cause. I have a system restore point before that, might want to give that I try and then re-install Windows (for a third time). I went the DSDT route and had to ask a question to clarify the compiling step on the guide.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I wouldn't recommend the DSDT route, it's an old trick, for older macs, older versions of Windows and above all: For AMD cards.

@abelviking Does your RX580 still work on your system? If yes, the RTX2070 could be defective.

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

I wouldn't recommend the DSDT route, it's an old trick, for older macs, older versions of Windows and above all: For AMD cards.

@abelviking Does your RX580 still work on your system? If yes, the RTX2070 could be defective.

Thanks for consistently getting back to me and helping me troubleshoot. Most every other inquiry I've done hasn't been replied to. I don't know why.

The RTX isn't defective. I managed to get it to work by disabling the PCI Express host that the M390 is attached to, then reboot then hotplug the NVIDIA BEFORE Windows finished booting.
Once I got that going I took some screenshots, then I re-enabled the AMD card but as of previous settings the internal screen didn't come up. I didn't think of unplugging the monitor at the moment but based on what I did before that's what I would get with the Radeon RX580 with Windows Update drivers.
Side Notes:
For some reason this system won't even post to UEFI when the NVIDIA is attached. Any reasons for that that anyone knows of?

I got the same symptoms some other users wrote about, where the main screen gets stuck in the loading circle with the Windows logo while the screen attached directly to the ePGU works just fine. When you take a screenshot the system thinks they're both on...go figure. Attaching pictures.

Screenshot (9)
Screenshot (8)
Screenshot (7)
Screenshot (6)

Screenshot cropped

I did a fresh install and that's the best I could get, all with Windows Update drivers.

IMPORTANT: The only way I could ever get the internal display to work while a eGPU was attached and allocated was by using the bootcampdrivers.com drivers but that doesn't work in this case.

So the GPU isn't defective, what else is left to think than to do a DSDT which was updated last on February this year?

One last question, since you've done so many combinations do you have any experience in performance between the RAdeon Vega VII and the RTX2070? I know AMD with AMD works thanks to the bootcampdrivers.com distro but also have heard that the older Vega models don't quite cut it at 4k/5k, even 1440p.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Why are so many people using bootcampdrivers.com drivers? I have never had issues with the official desktop drivers from AMD.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: goalque

Why are so many people using bootcampdrivers.com drivers? I have never had issues with the official desktop drivers from AMD.

@goalque, if you want to have an AMD dGPU active together with an AMD eGPU, you have no other choice. The official drivers of AMD go havoc with both AMD GPUs present and active.
I see from your signature you don't have an AMD dGPU, in this case I wouldn't recommend Bootcampdrivers.

But, there is a big drawback (for me): The AMF (VCE) support of bootcampdrivers is not as good as the one from the Apple Drivers. I got bad numbers when HEVC Encoding with my AMD dGPU. see also here.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, it won't work for Radeon Pro 555/560(X)/Vega20 and any AMD eGPU with standard drivers. Until very little ago it wasn't even possible to run both GPUs at once in Bootcamp. Please check corresponding builds.

In my case (15-inch MBP 2018):
I have dGPU Radeon Pro 560X and in the very moment you attach an AMD eGPU and install standard AMD drivers the internal display goes black, the Radeon Pro 560X goes yellow banged and you won't get it back no matter what you do. This problems hits everybody with an newer AMD dGPU. 

I am surprised that with the M370X it's supposed to be different, as you say.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@goalque, it won't work for Radeon Pro 555/560(X)/Vega20 and any AMD eGPU with standard drivers. Until very little ago it wasn't even possible to run both GPUs at once in Bootcamp. Please check corresponding builds.

Yeah, I have seen those posts but cannot confirm myself because I don’t own a MBP equipped with a newer AMD dGPU. @abelviking has an older, M390.

--

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Yeah, I have seen those posts but cannot confirm myself because I don’t own a MBP equipped with a newer AMD dGPU. @abelviking has an older, M390.

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so his system should behave differently.

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so his system should behave differently.

@goalque Is the M390 the same family as the M370x? I second what @oliverb says here, no bootcampdrivers.com, no internal screen with dGPU. I tried all other combinations, Apple's own 2015 drivers and AMD.com Apple drivers, I even tried the standard amd.com drivers. See my build post for details, I even have a table in the thread I started where I first heard about the guide in this one with the relevant combinations.
@oliverb FYI, Bootcampdrivers.com + RX580 + NVIDIA drivers = No dice. I had to DDU the NVIDIA drivers to get the RX580 back to work, even with a newer version of Adrenaline.

Again I was able to repro the Code 12 workaround for Nvidia while leaving the internal screen with its LED lights on and no graphics. This time around I used the bootcampdrivers 19.3.3 and the Latest NVIDIA 419.x.x drivers, last time it was all Windows Update. You basically disable the M390, then disable its PCI EXPRESS host, all this while the NVIDIA is connected. Then you reboot, disconnect the NVIDIA, connect it back while Windows is booting(reminiscent of what Pravalovios who had the same exact computer as I do did with his AORUS GTX1070, while mine is the AORUS GTX2070) and the external screen comes up. Right after you boot while the dGPU PCI express lane is disabled the internal screen will freeze at some point, it could be during the Windows logo or while the login screen shows up. 

I'm starting to wonder if all this is due to the AORUS BIOS, for example, why won't the mac even POST to UEFI while the NVIDIA is connected. I wonder if Windows would allocate both dGPU and eGPU if it could boot with both enabled. 
@goalque What's most interesting is that Device Manager is able to show both GPUs allocated in 32bit memory space, if and only if the NVIDIA gets allocated first which is only possible when we disable the PCI express lane for the AMD. I'm stuck at getting DSDT working at the moment and posted a question on @nando4 original DSDT guide thread. His work around for the compiler throwing syntax errors for Function(arg1, if()) did not work for me, I have no idea how to program in assembly so that's also throwing me off, I don't know where to look at for a return on the IF so I can pass it to the Function later on.

@oliverb Just to confirm, when you do AMD + NVIDIA do you use bootcampdrivers.com and Windows Update respectively or some other combination? If so, in which order do you install the drivers.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@abelviking No, they are not the same family. The M390 is Pitcairn and the M370X is Verde.

The first thing I noticed is your enclosure. I would almost claim that any enclosure with extra USB/LAN ports is not the best combo with an AMD dGPU equipped 2015 Mac. It doesn't POST (power-on self-test). This means that you must always delay the boot process (hot plug).

Not sure if DSDT is going to help you, but I recommend MaciASL, it's a very user friendly app.

Many forget one important factor: Win10 build. What's your version? How do you install drivers for the AMD eGPU? I only need to extract the package and manually point to the AMD folder in the device manager. The AMD dGPU (or M370X at least) with official Apple Boot Camp drivers can co-operate with the AMD eGPU out of the box. I have not used Windows for a while, so not sure if situation is the same with newer Win10 versions.

For Nvidia cards, I have always used apple_set_os.efi but I guess that's not an option with iMacs (no iMac experience at all).

--

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

@abelviking No, they are not the same family. The M390 is Pitcairn and the M370X is Verde.

The first thing I noticed is your enclosure. I would almost claim that any enclosure with extra USB/LAN ports is not the best combo with an AMD dGPU equipped 2015 Mac. It doesn't POST (power-on self-test). This means that you must always delay the boot process (hot plug).

Not sure if DSDT is going to help you, but I recommend MaciASL, it's a very user friendly app.

Many forget one important factor: Win10 build. What's your version? How do you install drivers for the AMD eGPU? I only need to extract the package and manually point to the AMD folder in the device manager. The AMD dGPU (or M370X at least) with official Apple Boot Camp drivers can co-operate with the AMD eGPU out of the box. I have not used Windows for a while, so not sure if situation is the same with newer Win10 versions.

For Nvidia cards, I have always used apple_set_os.efi but I guess that's not an option with iMacs (no iMac experience at all).

Thanks for getting back to me!
Let me break it down:

The AMD RX580 can POST, in fact that is the only way I can get it to work, the NVIDIA cannot. The enclosures are the same brand and they look similar although they have different logos. Haven't open them. The NVIDIA does require hotplug during Windows boot to work at all. There's also a bunch of Nvidia USB and USB-c drivers getting in the way so that's suspicious. I'm leaning towards an AKITIO or a Sonnet now.

I heard about it, I might give it a shot.

I'm on Windows 1803 which is what this guide is based on.

As for drivers I have done what you say, even with 2015 Official Bootcamp drivers but even on 1803 I cannot get the internal screen to work. That is exactly what @oliverb is saying. Refer to this thread if you're interested in the history of what I've done, there's a table in that post that describes the most relevant combinations I've tried:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/imac-dgpu-egpu-help-how-to-get-internal-screen-working/#post-56992

For bootcampdrivers.com mod I simply DDU my system in Safe Mode, reboot, then install the bootcampdrivers.com from the installer. Then reboot and hotplug the RX580, then follow this guide - uninstall from device manager, reboot with POST.
I read most of the relevant threads you @nando4 and @itsage have written with workarounds about code12, code 43 and getting the internal display working with clover and UEFI workarounds, even for USB external hard drives. Most of the information seems to be related to activating the iGPU which is DISABLED by Apple for their iMACs...like either you or @itsage said on a post and increasing the 32bit allocation side, which is why I was leaning towards the DSDT approach or switching over to a newer Radeon.
 All this just to get higher FPS in a 4 core/4 thread CPU.

ReplyQuote
 of  4