Setup & Software Discussions
Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  4
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

If you're using the internal display for gaming, seeing dGPU activity is normal. Your issues in CS:GO might be due to very high FPS against the bandwidth/latency constraints on Thunderbolt. For testing, does capping FPS in CS:GO alleviate the issue?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Hello,

First off thank you for the prompt reply. It appears as if CS:GO is automatically capping the frames since whenever I change the settings it bumps up to 60 fps and stays there. 

The dGPU activity spikes significantly just like the eGPU whenever I load up the CS:GO window. However, the dGPU isn't pushing out any video encoding or anything since that activity is null.

EDIT: Something that I did see with another thread was using NVIDIA Control Panel and changing something to do w/ refresh rate. However, whenever I open up Control Panel it says that a Nvidia GPU is not detected. 

This post was modified 1 week ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: @d3monw3st

The dGPU activity spikes significantly just like the eGPU whenever I load up the CS:GO window. However, the dGPU isn't pushing out any video encoding or anything since that activity is null.

The dGPU is responsible for displaying the renders done on the eGPU (framebuffer copy) for any display connected to it so it’s activity is not null. This is of course avoidable by connecting an external monitor to the eGPU.

NVIDIA Control Panel is only accessible when a display is directly connected to the NVIDIA GPU.

Look up console commands to increase cap on CS:GO and test.

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Okay, will do and report back. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Hey,

So I've launched back into CS:GO and updated some drivers. The issue still persists, but it is not nearly as bad as before. I found a command to set the fps limit - fps_max 999 . Turned off Vertical Sync and tried it out. Seems to be somewhat faded, however, the areas of pixels visible from where the stutters occurred last time has distinct lines going through them with a bunch of tearing now.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Not sure why that's happening. Does running the game on just the dGPU not cause issues?

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Well, the game is kind of broken when I run it on the dGPU, but from even the menu when you load up other screens it doesn’t have the glitchy pixels/tearing. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Need to fix the game as is then. Not an egpu-specific issue. 

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

I did get the same exact tearing issues with Apex legends though.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

No, it uses the power of the eGPU; however, I still have the exact same issue being replicated. Where I see activity of the dGPU doing the 3D imaging or something, but all of the power is going to the eGPU. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Sorry, what I meant to ask was: when running Apex Legends without eGPU, do you get these issues?

ReplyQuote
(@amor_mai)

@oliverb

I successfully installed the AMD driver and completed the process in your way, but bootcamp still can't detect egpu. My device is mantiz vega64, which is Windows 1903.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @amor_mai

@oliverb

I successfully installed the AMD driver and completed the process in your way, but bootcamp still can't detect egpu. My device is mantiz vega64, which is Windows 1903.

You don't need any driver for eGPU detection. It is supposed to display an extra Display Adapter in Device Manager, no matter which eGPU or drivers.
Can you make a screenshot please of your Display Adapters in Device Manager?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
 of  4