Setup & Software Discussions
Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  4
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

If you're using the internal display for gaming, seeing dGPU activity is normal. Your issues in CS:GO might be due to very high FPS against the bandwidth/latency constraints on Thunderbolt. For testing, does capping FPS in CS:GO alleviate the issue?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Hello,

First off thank you for the prompt reply. It appears as if CS:GO is automatically capping the frames since whenever I change the settings it bumps up to 60 fps and stays there. 

The dGPU activity spikes significantly just like the eGPU whenever I load up the CS:GO window. However, the dGPU isn't pushing out any video encoding or anything since that activity is null.

EDIT: Something that I did see with another thread was using NVIDIA Control Panel and changing something to do w/ refresh rate. However, whenever I open up Control Panel it says that a Nvidia GPU is not detected. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @d3monw3st

The dGPU activity spikes significantly just like the eGPU whenever I load up the CS:GO window. However, the dGPU isn't pushing out any video encoding or anything since that activity is null.

The dGPU is responsible for displaying the renders done on the eGPU (framebuffer copy) for any display connected to it so it’s activity is not null. This is of course avoidable by connecting an external monitor to the eGPU.

NVIDIA Control Panel is only accessible when a display is directly connected to the NVIDIA GPU.

Look up console commands to increase cap on CS:GO and test.

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Okay, will do and report back. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Hey,

So I've launched back into CS:GO and updated some drivers. The issue still persists, but it is not nearly as bad as before. I found a command to set the fps limit - fps_max 999 . Turned off Vertical Sync and tried it out. Seems to be somewhat faded, however, the areas of pixels visible from where the stutters occurred last time has distinct lines going through them with a bunch of tearing now.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Not sure why that's happening. Does running the game on just the dGPU not cause issues?

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Well, the game is kind of broken when I run it on the dGPU, but from even the menu when you load up other screens it doesn’t have the glitchy pixels/tearing. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Need to fix the game as is then. Not an egpu-specific issue. 

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

I did get the same exact tearing issues with Apex legends though.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

No, it uses the power of the eGPU; however, I still have the exact same issue being replicated. Where I see activity of the dGPU doing the 3D imaging or something, but all of the power is going to the eGPU. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@d3monw3st

Sorry, what I meant to ask was: when running Apex Legends without eGPU, do you get these issues?

ReplyQuote
(@amor_mai)

@oliverb

I successfully installed the AMD driver and completed the process in your way, but bootcamp still can't detect egpu. My device is mantiz vega64, which is Windows 1903.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @amor_mai

@oliverb

I successfully installed the AMD driver and completed the process in your way, but bootcamp still can't detect egpu. My device is mantiz vega64, which is Windows 1903.

You don't need any driver for eGPU detection. It is supposed to display an extra Display Adapter in Device Manager, no matter which eGPU or drivers.
Can you make a screenshot please of your Display Adapters in Device Manager?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@OliverB So I followed all your steps and it has worked in the past.  Everytime I plugged it into the upper left Thunderbolt 3 port in my MBP 2018.  One day I somehow decided to switch cables and plug it into the right sided ports, and now I am plagued with the dreaded error 12.  Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this?

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i9-8950HK/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD; Radeon RX 5700XT & Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @charles_lee_1

@OliverB So I followed all your steps and it has worked in the past.  Everytime I plugged it into the upper left Thunderbolt 3 port in my MBP 2018.  One day I somehow decided to switch cables and plug it into the right sided ports, and now I am plagued with the dreaded error 12.  Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this?

@charles_lee_1
Please tell us your exact Windows Version Build (e.g. with Command "winver")

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
yuan
 yuan
(@yuan)

Setup: MacBook Pro 15" 2017 / Razer core X / Red devil Vega 56 / external monitor / Windows 10 1903.

So with my old rx 580 it was pretty much plug-and-play only had to uninstall and reboot and was good to go. Now upgraded to a Vega 56 and did all the steps displaying all the same messages in device manager, but at the last step after uninstall and reboot just keeps getting the error 12 code.. Any suggestion ? tried all the ports already.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@oliverb

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i9-8950HK/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD; Radeon RX 5700XT & Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @charles_lee_1

@oliverb

It's best you go back to 18362.295 or sooner. Microsoft messed eGPU up since then 🙁

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@charles_lee_1

See if this will work: go to Control Panel -> Uninstall Update. Uninstall the KB for 418, then download the KB for 295 and install that.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
zpro
 zpro
(@zpro)

Can anyone help me out?

I ask here, because you all seem very knowledgeable about this topic that doesn't seem very well explored...

I have the following:

- 2018 13" MBP with 8GB LPDDR3, 2.3 GHz i5

- Lg Ultrafine 5k

And am wondering the following:

1) Is there anyway to output to the lg Ultrafine 5k at full 5K (5120x2880, 60Hz) resolution using my specific laptop and running windows 10 Bootcamp using any card, eGPU or enclosure possible?

2) If the answer to 1) is no, then is there anyway to run an eGPU of any kind with my laptop for gaming in windows 10 at any other resolution (4k, 1080p) with the ultrafine 5k?

I am open to blackmagic eGPU/Pro, razor core X or similar, using Titan Ridge/Alpine Ridge cards etc. whatever it takes to make this work...

Many thanks,
z

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @zpro

I am open to blackmagic eGPU /Pro, razor core X or similar, using Titan Ridge/Alpine Ridge cards etc. whatever it takes to make this work...

Seems like you already know all the ways to connect the LG UltraFine 5K to the eGPU and you're asking if someone has already done that for Windows.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
zpro
 zpro
(@zpro)

@joevt

Yes, I was looking for someone to confirm that there was anyway to output from a macbook pro to the lg ultrafine 5k running bootcamp in full 5k.

What I discovered interestingly is that very few people have discussed this online, but the macbook pro I have at least (2018 13") is fully capable of outputting in 5k through bootcamp without any problem. It is natively an option within the display settings in windows 10. I also noticed that the refresh rate can be bumped up from 59Hz to 60Hz in the intel graphical driver interface.

I literally installed bootcamp with no prior knowledge through Catalina 10.15.1 and it worked perfectly without me having to do anything. Additionally all my usb peripheral adapters connected to the back of the monitor including magic keyboard, magic trackpad, ethernet, iPhone cable and usb-c to 3.5mm audio all worked perfectly. The ultrafine 5k could also be powered in both clamshell and dual display mode a full resolution on both screens without any problems.

Also, the integrated webcam and microphone did NOT work, but the integrated speakers in the monitor did work. The ultrafine 5k brightness can also only be adjusted by going into the bootcamp control panel and clicking on the tab labeled "brightness".

Consequently, I suspect you can plug in an eGPU to the other side of the macbook using the second array of thunderbolt 3 ports and power the lg ultrafine 5k in that way. through bootcamp at full 5120x2880 60hz.

I added a lot of details here because I figured someone might stumble on this wondering if it was possible as I looked for nearly a year and didn't find anything concrete about it.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @zpro

Consequently, I suspect you can plug in an eGPU to the other side of the macbook using the second array of thunderbolt 3 ports and power the lg ultrafine 5k in that way. through bootcamp at full 5120x2880 60hz.

It would be like powering the internal 5K display of an iMac. It wouldn't be good for fps. I think there are some builds that attempted this.

ReplyQuote
 of  4