Setup & Software Discussions
Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Boo...

Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018  

of  2
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Note, that this is an older guid (while still working). Please try first this new Bootcamp guide! Thank you!

0. Start with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Build 1803. (It may work with another build or not-so-fresh installation, but this is confirmed. And this is best way to avoid dreaded Error 12).

A) nVidia cards:
1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself.
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but yellow banged (Error 14 or 43)

YellowbangedNvidiaCard

4. Right-click on it and "Disable device", followed by "Enabled device". No reboot necessary.
5. Finished. If you have an external monitor, it will display a windows desktop. (Please read Notes a-b at the end of this guide)

Important: For AMD card there is a different AMD Guide which can accelerate the internal display, which the following cannot. If you do not need an accelerated internal display, stay on this guide and follow these steps:

B) AMD cards:

It's not possible to do this without an external monitor.

1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but it will not work yet.

4. Reboot. (Important: It can happen that the internal screen went black already, then you must hard-reset your computer now, because you don't see a thing.)
5. After reboot your internal monitor stays black, but the external monitor works with this scenario: Radeon Pro 560X is yellow banged with Error 43 and there is nothing you can do about it.

RadeonPro560XError43

6. Now just disable the RadeonPro560X with right-mouse-click on the device, which yields to

RadeonPro560XDisabled

7. Reboot and Done!

C) Two (2) Cards, nVidia and AMD:

Actually the combination of eGPU cards is even easier than one AMD card alone, because you will always have (external) display.
Begin with the nVidia card, starting with A), then

6.) Hot-plug in the AMD eGPU.
7.) Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
8.) You internal display will go black, but your external display with the nVidia is still working. This is giving you a huge advantage, because you can see what's going on:

AfterInternalDisplayWentBlack

Radeon Pro 560X stopped working, and the external AMD eGPU RX 570 is yellow banged with Error 12. The system wants to reboot, but first
9). Disable Radeon Pro 560X in Device Manager
10.) Reboot and it is working perfecty:

AfterReboot

D) AMD Cards and you want to use the AMD dGPU when not connected to an eGPU
Unfortunately the default apple AMD drivers will not work anymore. If you use windows only with an eGPU, it doesn't matter, but if you care, there are some more steps to do:

8. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
9. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
10. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon Pro 560x", check the option that you want to remove installation files.
11. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 8, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters".
12. Now you have two options:

a) Disable "Radeon Pro Series" when you are using the eGPU in order to have internal display working, but not accelerated.
b) Enabled "Radeon Pro Series" when you are not using an eGPU. You will get fully working internal display.

When you start your macbook with the enabled "Radeon Pro Series", you can hotplug the eGPU, e.g. for using secondary ports, but it will not work as gpu because of Error 12, which can be resolved with a reboot.

RX580YellowBangedError12

Either way you must reboot in order to switch between a) and b)

Notes:
a) With nVidia card you can have accelerated internal display, but you must hotplug the the eGPU to avoid a black screen.

b) With AMD card you cannot have accelerated internal display. You must disable the Radeon Pro 560X in Device manager to have an internal display at all. This is also possible for nVidia and has the advantage, that the eGPU does not have to be hot-plugged.

c) There is no reason to believe that this installation will not work with any other MBP. The 15-inches before 2018 should work exactly the same way, the 13-inch Macbooks even much easier. Without AMD dGPU there is a lot of less trouble.

d) Important note as this seems not totally clear: If you hot-plug an AMD eGPU on a system that has been booted without any eGPU, Error 12 can occur. You can solve this by simply rebooting the system with the eGPU plugged in.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member

You don't install AMD drivers after removing the driver in Safe Mode?
Does standby work with your system? On my MBP 2018 with AMD eGPU everything works except standby and the internal display is frozen, which is ok because I only use the external display attached to the eGPU.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

B) AMD cards:

1. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
2. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
3. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon Pro 560x", check the option that you want to remove installation files.
4. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 1, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters". Reboot without eGPU.

5. HotPlug eGPU => AMD eGPU will be yellow banged with error 12.
6. Uninstall it directly from Device Manager:

UninstallDeviceError12
UninstgallDeviceError12B

7. Reboot. Done:

UninstgallDeviceError12C

Important: For the time being you have to repeat step 6 before each reboot. If not, the internal display will go black next time. @mac_editor and @itsage are working on a solution for this. If you don't want/need to use your AMD dGPU on internal display, you may just disable the dGPU "Radeon Pro Series" in Device Manager, so it won't go black. For more options, check More ways to handle AMD eGPUs.

This post was modified 6 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have just installed a completely new kind of AMD Card, a Radeon R9 290 and it works, too. A Windows system without the Bootcamp Radeon Pro 560X drivers detects and installs the appropriate Radeon drivers by itself. Slight difference this time was a temporal Error 12 directly after detecting the eGPU, which disappeared after rebooting. My first Error 12 ever.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@oliverb
I followed the steps above running boot amp on an ext ssd with the gaming box rx580. The reinstallation did not complete properly although I restarted windows a couple of rimes both windows and efi restart. When I tried to install the drivers mannually, the gigabyte ones produce an error 173, and the direct Radeon tell me that they are already installed. In program fikles there is an amd folder with Radeon settings.exe file. Any help on How I can I uninstall them again to retry would be appreciated

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@tsakal, did you really follow my guide? This error 173 typically comes when there is still the bootcamp radeon driver on the system. You must uninstall those drivers for an AMD eGPU to run properly. This is really annoying, but unfortunately a must.
The RX580 has an advantage that it is compatible with the Pro 560X, so it's not absolutely necessary to install those drivers, but if you want to intall them, the bootcamp AMD drivers must be removed.

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I add some screenshots about an nVidia (Geforce GTX 285) installation I just have completed:

0) I started with a system restore from a backup I had made after a fresh bootcamp installation.

1) Then I hot-plugged the eGPU. Give it some time! Don't be hasty... Finally, the card appears, but yellow banged with error 14:

Error14

2) Windows says, it wants to reboot. There is no need for this, just disable the card:

DisableDevice

3) And enable it again:

EnableDevice

4) Finally it works:

DeviceisWorkInProperly

5) GPU-Z confirms the proper installation:

GPUZ AfterInstallation

So, there is no need to be scared or anything. Installation is smooth, last only a few minutes and even no reboot needed.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

D o you suggest to delete the amd  folder from the bootcamp  folder?
is the process the same for the mbp13 without the dgpu 

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

I am also wondering about the AMD folder in the Bootcamp installation. With a fresh install of Windows and Bootcamp installed, step 1 (hotpug AMD eGPU) crashes windows.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: tsakal

D o you suggest to delete the amd  folder from the bootcamp  folder?
is the process the same for the mbp13 without the dgpu 

No, I do not delete any folders, just delete the AMD drivers in Windows Safe Mode, there is a checkbox to "delete drivers", this must be checked.
 I cannot really tell about the MPB13, I have a 2015 MPB 13, but as this is TB2, things are quite different. I haven't installed AMD cards there yet. When Bootcamp is installing AMD drivers there, it may be wise to uninstall them, too. 

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Blakeanator

I am also wondering about the AMD folder in the Bootcamp installation. With a fresh install of Windows and Bootcamp installed, step 1 (hotpug AMD eGPU) crashes windows.

This is strange, I do hot-plug at the moment quite a number of gpus, including some vintage AMDs. It never crushes when hot-plugging. Sometimes (very seldom) it crashes when hot-unplugging.

Which is your exact hardware? MPB, eGPU enclosure and GPU?

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

I have done so in safe mode but the and folder still stays in the bootcamp folder. As the mbp 13 does not have a dgpu is not going to affect anything unless it needs to restore them when exiting windows

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@oliverb

On another matter are you happy with the Asus xg station ?
Did you have any compatibility issues. I am considering vs the Akitio node pro due to their size, Although I should be getting the breakaway box really. 
have you tried it with any amd cards ?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: tsakal

@oliverb

On another matter are you happy with the Asus xg station ?
Did you have any compatibility issues. I am considering vs the Akitio node pro due to their size, Although I should be getting the breakaway box really. 
have you tried it with any amd cards ?

Yes, I am. First I almost did not buy it, because it cannot charge a MPB, but now I don't care. Is a second cable really that bad? I use the enclosure with a second MPB (MagSafe2), too. I can't use profit from an eGPU power supply there anyway.
It's really quiet, you can open it easily and swap GPUs quickly. I find a the USB-C port better than a number of ports, too. I  have a USB-C Hub attached to it and change it very quickly.
There are no compatibility issues, but I haven't found those at no enclosure.

BTW: Now I have nasty Error 12 and can't get rid of it, the first some since using eGPUs for 4 months. It's no hardware issue, I corrupted my Windows and this is the only reason for it. I will restore the system from a backup and it will be gone.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

There you go. It need 3 Minutes for restoring a sane windows from a self built 80$ external NVMe SSD. I can't believe that people are NOT having such a device which safes to much work and trouble.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@blakeanator, It is possible that your Windows does not crash, only the internal screen goes black? If so, please read opening post Step 3 and 3a!

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have just installed an AMD card on a relative fresh Bootcamp installation. I works very well, even though I had the "black screen" on step 3. It doesn't matter at all. There is no Error 12, no fiddling, no hacks, no apple-efi, just old fashioned hot-plug-n-play.

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

Posted by: OliverB

This is strange, I do hot-plug at the moment quite a number of gpus, including some vintage AMDs. It never crushes when hot-plugging. Sometimes (very seldom) it crashes when hot-unplugging.

Which is your exact hardware? MPB, eGPU enclosure and GPU?

Hey OliverB, thanks for your reply. My hardware is a 2018 MBP 15 inch, 2.9 i9 CPU, 32 GB ram, Vega 20 dGPU, 4 TB SSD. I use a sonnet 550 box and a Vega 56 for the eGPU. I’ll crash windows again later tonight (when I’m at my computer) and see what the exact error is.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Hey OliverB, thanks for your reply. My hardware is a 2018 MBP 15 inch, 2.9 i9 CPU, 32 GB ram, Vega 20 dGPU, 4 TB SSD. I use a sonnet 550 box and a Vega 56 for the eGPU. I’ll crash windows again later tonight (when I’m at my computer) and see what the exact error is.

Hi... ok, you have a Vega 20. This may behave different than the Pro 560X. Please recheck.
Anyway, I would thank you a lot, if you could do this tests with your Vega, especially with the Vega56 (The Vega20 ist very very interesting, too): https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/easy-video-encoding-benchmark-test-your-gpu-within-seconds/#post-50048

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

Ok, so after some extensive testing this is what I found. Your guide works for but there is a slight catch. In Notes section D you state that you can reinstall the dGPU drivers which will result in the internal display blacking out when you are connected to an external monitor (which is fine for me I don't use the internal display with my eGPU). However the internal screen will stay black and never works, even when disconnected from an eGPU. So, reinstalling the dGPU drivers actually breaks the internal screen entirely. The only way I have solved this is by reinstalling the default Bootcamp drivers. Somehow this fixes the dGPU to work correctly with the internal display. The only problem is it's a one time fix. Once I plug an eGPU into the MBP again the display internal display goes dark (which is expected) but from that point on the internal display will not work again unless A) you use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the dGPU drivers, effectively putting you back at B7 of your guide or B) reinstalling bootcamp drivers. So basically, for me to have a 2018 MBP that works with an AMD eGPU in Bootcamp I must completely disable the dGPU which honestly sucks because the computer thus has zero graphical performance when not connected to an eGPU. It's worth nothing my MBP uses a Vega 20 graphics card for its dGPU, not the usual Radeon Pro 560X found in most MBPs. I will do this test again with an Nvidia graphics card and post the results here.

OliverB and ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Ok, so after some extensive testing this is what I found. Your guide works for but there is a slight catch. In Notes section D you state that you can reinstall the dGPU drivers which will result in the internal display blacking out when you are connected to an external monitor (which is fine for me I don't use the internal display with my eGPU). However the internal screen will stay black and never works, even when disconnected from an eGPU. So, reinstalling the dGPU drivers actually breaks the internal screen entirely. The only way I have solved this is by reinstalling the default Bootcamp drivers. Somehow this fixes the dGPU to work correctly with the internal display. The only problem is it's a one time fix. Once I plug an eGPU into the MBP again the display internal display goes dark (which is expected) but from that point on the internal display will not work again unless A) you use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the dGPU drivers, effectively putting you back at B7 of your guide or B) reinstalling bootcamp drivers. So basically, for me to have a 2018 MBP that works with an AMD eGPU in Bootcamp I must completely disable the dGPU which honestly sucks because the computer thus has zero graphical performance when not connected to an eGPU. It's worth nothing my MBP uses a Vega 20 graphics card for its dGPU, not the usual Radeon Pro 560X found in most MBPs. I will do this test again with an Nvidia graphics card and post the results here.

You are absolutely right. If you are using an AMD eGPU, you cannot use an AMD dGPU with the bootcamp drivers at all. It surely sucks enourmously and is the one of the main reason I still stick to nVidia eGPU, where at least to get the internal display normally working when hotplugging the eGPU.

You can see this dilemma also here: https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/nvidia-geforce-gtx1080ti-vs-amd-radeon-vega-56-a-hard-decision/

Apple really frakked this up. Having an AMD dGPU is really a problem in Bootcamp. For this reason I would switch to a 13-inch MBP, but I need the 32GB RAM.
Perhaps is important to know that you can attach a second monitor directly  to your notebook and use the dGPU there, this will work. The issue is only for the internal display.

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

Even with the upgraded Vega 20 dGPU, it still doesn't even come close in performance to the Vega 56 eGPU I have. And my work involves Visual Studio and Unreal Engine so using just the dGPU to an external monitor is not really an option. It's so ironic that Apple supports AMD graphics cards on macOS, but not really in Bootcamp, and Nvidia is not supported in macOS, but works well in Bootcamp. It's like Apple wants to make our lives difficult (not surprised).

The one thing that does seem to work (although not every time) is installing the Vega 20 drivers, then disabling the Vega 20 before plugging in the eGPU. This prevents the "resource allocation" problem that seems to break my Vega 20 drivers. Then when you remove the eGPU to can re-enable the dGPU and (sometimes) it works. A lot of manual steps to be honest but it's better than no graphics horsepower when disconnected from an eGPU.

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

OliverB, read your post in that link and I think we're in pretty similar situations. I'm gonna swap the Vega 56 with an RTX 2080 Ti we have on a development rig here in the office and see if that remedies the majority of my problems. Only thing is I don't know if the Sonnet 550 I have will supply enough power for the RTX 2080 Ti. On paper, it appears it should work. Max power output for the GPU in a Sonnet 550 is 375 watts, and the max measured peak of the RTX was 360 watts even though its official rating is 260 watts. That's only 15 watts of wiggle room, which is not much. Nvida's official recommendation is a system power of 650 watts (hense the Sonnet 650) but that recommendation I think is for an entire PC build not a Mac laptop (which hopefully draws less power than a massive desktop rig).

Maybe getting Nvidia cars to work on macOS is easier than getting AMD cards to work in Bootcamp lol

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@blakeanator,
I have good news and bad news for you, because I had the RTX2080Ti:
1) Good: The Sonnet 550 has enough power, easily. One advantage of nVidia cards is less power consumption.
2) Bad: You will not get the RTX2080Ti running under MacOSX, it's not possbile. So you must use a GTX1080Ti, but this is not a bad card at all 😉

And you are correct: You can achieve something by just disabling the AMD dGPU in Device Manager.
For nVidia eGPU: when the AMD dGPU is enabled, you must hotplug the eGPU to avoid the screen going black. If the AMD dGPU is disabled, you can boot with the eGPU plugged and and will have the internal screen working but not accelerated (that's die AMD eGPU Situation).
For AMD eGPU: It may work similar, I have to check this, but you won't be able to install and AMD eGPU correctly while the AMD dGPU Bootcamp drivers are still in the system.
This is very complicated and that's why Apple is officially not supporting eGPU in Bootcamp. One is only hacking and tricking.

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

Tried the Nvidia card and everything worked much smoother. Only real difference I saw was that I had to plug the Nvidia eGPU into the top right Thunderbolt port for it to work, whereas the AMD eGPU could plug into any port and work. Anyways, thanks for the guide and help! Will stick with the Nvidia eGPU and abandon using it for macOS right now (as I don't need it for that).

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@shitiz_garg)

I'm getting an nVidia eGPU, should I update my Bootcamp AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com? Or should I just stick to the official drivers.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Shitiz Garg

I'm getting an nVidia eGPU, should I update my Bootcamp AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com? Or should I just stick to the official drivers.

I am not sure what you mean with with "official drivers", but anyway there is no need to do anything with the AMD drivers, if you have an nVidia eGPU.

ReplyQuote
(@shitiz_garg)

Posted by: OliverB

I am not sure what you mean with with "official drivers", but anyway there is no need to do anything with the AMD drivers, if you have an nVidia eGPU.

By "official drivers" I meant the ones that come with Bootcamp Support Utility. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@shitiz_garg)

Another question, can you put the laptop to sleep / wake it up work while a nVidia eGPU is attached?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Another question, can you put the laptop to sleep / wake it up work while a nVidia eGPU is attached?

I have just find out that this only seems to work with AMD cards in bootcamp. With nVidia cards Sleep causes system crashes. 🙁

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

For AMD eGPUs on bootcamp (in case non-standard AMD dGPU is present), a simpler set of steps is to simply DDU Apple bootcamp drivers, download a copy of drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, disconnect from the internet, boot into the system normally, and install drivers, as mentioned in my build guides. This ensures that the system is never in a broken state, and one can use Windows with or without eGPU and not have to enable/disable GPUs (and no basic adapters).

This post was modified 7 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

For AMD eGPUs on bootcamp (in case non-standard AMD dGPU is present), a simpler set of steps is to simply DDU Apple bootcamp drivers, download a copy of drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, disconnect from the internet, boot into the system normally, and install drivers, as mentioned in my build guides. This ensures that the system is never in a broken state, and one can use Windows with or without eGPU and not have to enable/disable GPUs (and no basic adapters).

Thanks for the hint.. Actually I got the internal display working without uninstalling or disconnecting anything, just deactivating the RadionPro560X in device manager. It's even more simple than thought!

RadeonPro560XDisabled

I was quite sure, that this doesn't work with other (non Polaris) eGPUs, I have to recheck and then simplify my guide.

ReplyQuote
Fred_erick
(@fred_erick)

Hi,

I have a similar problem, I have a MBP 15" 2018, a Vega 56 with a HP Omen Accelerator. I deinstalled the Apple AMD driver and installed the driver from bootcampdriver.com. I connected my eGPU and the internal screen whent black but the external screen stays black as well. I fergot to disable the dGPU, what can I do now?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Fred_erick

Hi,

I have a similar problem, I have a MBP 15" 2018, a Vega 56 with a HP Omen Accelerator. I deinstalled the Apple AMD driver and installed the driver from bootcampdriver.com. I connected my eGPU and the internal screen whent black but the external screen stays black as well. I fergot to disable the dGPU, what can I do now?

When your internal screen went black after plugging in the ADM eGPU then you just have to reboot => your external screen should work then.
I don't understand why you should uninstall Apple AMD drivers only to install them afterwards again. This is not necessary. You either uninstall them oder not.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and Apple drivers are very different. Also, the deactivation method was discovered long back. Would be great if you could update your guide with the most up to date information accordingly. Thanks 👍.

@fred_erick See this guide.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer

ReplyQuote
 of  2