Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Boo...

Notifications
Clear all

Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018  

of  5
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Note, that this is an older guid (while still working). Please try first this new Bootcamp guide! Thank you!

0. Start with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Build 1803. (It may work with another build or not-so-fresh installation, but this is confirmed. And this is best way to avoid dreaded Error 12).

A) nVidia cards:
1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself.
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but yellow banged (Error 14 or 43)

YellowbangedNvidiaCard

4. Right-click on it and "Disable device", followed by "Enabled device". No reboot necessary.
5. Finished. If you have an external monitor, it will display a windows desktop. (Please read Notes a-b at the end of this guide)

Important: For AMD card there is a different AMD Guide which can accelerate the internal display, which the following cannot. If you do not need an accelerated internal display, stay on this guide and follow these steps:

B) AMD cards:

It's not possible to do this without an external monitor.

1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but it will not work yet.

4. Reboot. (Important: It can happen that the internal screen went black already, then you must hard-reset your computer now, because you don't see a thing.)
5. After reboot your internal monitor stays black, but the external monitor works with this scenario: Radeon Pro 560X is yellow banged with Error 43 and there is nothing you can do about it.

RadeonPro560XError43

6. Now just disable the RadeonPro560X with right-mouse-click on the device, which yields to

RadeonPro560XDisabled

7. Reboot and Done!

C) Two (2) Cards, nVidia and AMD:

Actually the combination of eGPU cards is even easier than one AMD card alone, because you will always have (external) display.
Begin with the nVidia card, starting with A), then

6.) Hot-plug in the AMD eGPU.
7.) Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
8.) You internal display will go black, but your external display with the nVidia is still working. This is giving you a huge advantage, because you can see what's going on:

AfterInternalDisplayWentBlack

Radeon Pro 560X stopped working, and the external AMD eGPU RX 570 is yellow banged with Error 12. The system wants to reboot, but first
9). Disable Radeon Pro 560X in Device Manager
10.) Reboot and it is working perfecty:

AfterReboot

D) AMD Cards and you want to use the AMD dGPU when not connected to an eGPU
Unfortunately the default apple AMD drivers will not work anymore. If you use windows only with an eGPU, it doesn't matter, but if you care, there are some more steps to do:

8. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
9. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
10. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon Pro 560x", check the option that you want to remove installation files.
11. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 8, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters".
12. Now you have two options:

a) Disable "Radeon Pro Series" when you are using the eGPU in order to have internal display working, but not accelerated.
b) Enabled "Radeon Pro Series" when you are not using an eGPU. You will get fully working internal display.

When you start your macbook with the enabled "Radeon Pro Series", you can hotplug the eGPU, e.g. for using secondary ports, but it will not work as gpu because of Error 12, which can be resolved with a reboot.

RX580YellowBangedError12

Either way you must reboot in order to switch between a) and b)

Notes:
a) With nVidia card you can have accelerated internal display, but you must hotplug the the eGPU to avoid a black screen.

b) With AMD card you cannot have accelerated internal display. You must disable the Radeon Pro 560X in Device manager to have an internal display at all. This is also possible for nVidia and has the advantage, that the eGPU does not have to be hot-plugged.

c) There is no reason to believe that this installation will not work with any other MBP. The 15-inches before 2018 should work exactly the same way, the 13-inch Macbooks even much easier. Without AMD dGPU there is a lot of less trouble.

d) Important note as this seems not totally clear: If you hot-plug an AMD eGPU on a system that has been booted without any eGPU, Error 12 can occur. You can solve this by simply rebooting the system with the eGPU plugged in.

This topic was modified 1 year ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member

You don't install AMD drivers after removing the driver in Safe Mode?
Does standby work with your system? On my MBP 2018 with AMD eGPU everything works except standby and the internal display is frozen, which is ok because I only use the external display attached to the eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

B) AMD cards:

1. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
2. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
3. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon Pro 560x", check the option that you want to remove installation files.
4. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 1, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters". Reboot without eGPU.

5. HotPlug eGPU => AMD eGPU will be yellow banged with error 12.
6. Uninstall it directly from Device Manager:

UninstallDeviceError12
UninstgallDeviceError12B

7. Reboot. Done:

UninstgallDeviceError12C

Important: For the time being you have to repeat step 6 before each reboot. If not, the internal display will go black next time. @mac_editor and @itsage are working on a solution for this. If you don't want/need to use your AMD dGPU on internal display, you may just disable the dGPU "Radeon Pro Series" in Device Manager, so it won't go black. For more options, check More ways to handle AMD eGPUs.

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have just installed a completely new kind of AMD Card, a Radeon R9 290 and it works, too. A Windows system without the Bootcamp Radeon Pro 560X drivers detects and installs the appropriate Radeon drivers by itself. Slight difference this time was a temporal Error 12 directly after detecting the eGPU, which disappeared after rebooting. My first Error 12 ever.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@oliverb
I followed the steps above running boot amp on an ext ssd with the gaming box rx580. The reinstallation did not complete properly although I restarted windows a couple of rimes both windows and efi restart. When I tried to install the drivers mannually, the gigabyte ones produce an error 173, and the direct Radeon tell me that they are already installed. In program fikles there is an amd folder with Radeon settings.exe file. Any help on How I can I uninstall them again to retry would be appreciated

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@tsakal, did you really follow my guide? This error 173 typically comes when there is still the bootcamp radeon driver on the system. You must uninstall those drivers for an AMD eGPU to run properly. This is really annoying, but unfortunately a must.
The RX580 has an advantage that it is compatible with the Pro 560X, so it's not absolutely necessary to install those drivers, but if you want to intall them, the bootcamp AMD drivers must be removed.

This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I add some screenshots about an nVidia (Geforce GTX 285) installation I just have completed:

0) I started with a system restore from a backup I had made after a fresh bootcamp installation.

1) Then I hot-plugged the eGPU. Give it some time! Don't be hasty... Finally, the card appears, but yellow banged with error 14:

Error14

2) Windows says, it wants to reboot. There is no need for this, just disable the card:

DisableDevice

3) And enable it again:

EnableDevice

4) Finally it works:

DeviceisWorkInProperly

5) GPU-Z confirms the proper installation:

GPUZ AfterInstallation

So, there is no need to be scared or anything. Installation is smooth, last only a few minutes and even no reboot needed.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

D o you suggest to delete the amd  folder from the bootcamp  folder?
is the process the same for the mbp13 without the dgpu 

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Blakeanator
(@blakeanator)

I am also wondering about the AMD folder in the Bootcamp installation. With a fresh install of Windows and Bootcamp installed, step 1 (hotpug AMD eGPU) crashes windows.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: tsakal

D o you suggest to delete the amd  folder from the bootcamp  folder?
is the process the same for the mbp13 without the dgpu 

No, I do not delete any folders, just delete the AMD drivers in Windows Safe Mode, there is a checkbox to "delete drivers", this must be checked.
 I cannot really tell about the MPB13, I have a 2015 MPB 13, but as this is TB2, things are quite different. I haven't installed AMD cards there yet. When Bootcamp is installing AMD drivers there, it may be wise to uninstall them, too. 

ReplyQuote
 of  5