Setup & Software Discussions
Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Boo...

Older Version of Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018  

of  2
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@oliverb drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and Apple drivers are very different. Also, the deactivation method was discovered long back. Would be great if you could update your guide with the most up to date information accordingly. Thanks 👍.

@fred_erick See this guide.

Thank you for this information. I was wrong thinking that there is only one kind of bootcamp drivers.
If I remember well it was after installing the bootcamp drivers the encoding performance of the Radeon Pro 560X were much lower than normally. If those drivers are different to the Apple House-In drivers, this makes finally sense. I will have to recheck this.

EDIT: Confirmed. After I uninstalled Apple drivers and installed bootcampdrivers.com the FPS for HEVC encoding 1080p with the Radeon Pro 560X fell from 137 FPS to 14 FPS. I will elaborate this more in this thread https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/easy-video-encoding-benchmark-test-your-gpu-within-seconds/#post-51168

This post was modified 11 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Bootcampdrivers.com has one very big advantage over the Apple Drivers: You can reenable the dGPU and use it when AMD eGPU is not connected. If you reenable the Apple Drivers, interal display stays black with yellow banged Error 43.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I updated the guide, because I have just installed two eGPU (AMD and nVidia) and it was quite easy. Please check Section C) in my guide.

gpgpu

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Here is my step-by-step guide on how to install two eGPUs, nVidia and AMD:

A. nVidia Card:

It's done in less than 5 minutes with less than 20 clicks.
0. Start with a quite fresh installation of Windows 10 Buid 1803 or newer.

01 StartPosition

1. Hot-plug your nVidie eGPU. Soon "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" will appear;

02 BasicAdapter
03 SettingUpDevice

2. Wait about 4 minutes until the Geforce card appears in Display adapters. Windows wants to reboot. Don't do this!

04 Nvidia
05 Restart

3. Disable the yellow banged GTX 1080 Ti device. Don't reboot, click on "no", when Windows is you asking to.

06 Disable
07 Dont Restart

4. Reenable the GTX1080Ti device. You external monitor will lid up.

08 Enable
09 Nvidia is Done

Congratulations! You just have installed the first card in under 5 minutes and 10 clicks. It wasn't so hard, was it?

B. AMD Card:

This is normally a more delicate process, but as we have the huge advantage in having already a running nVidia eGPU, it's quite simple. It's done in less than 2 minutes and even fewer clicks:

5. Hot-plug your AMD card. Again "Microsoft Display Basic Adapter" will appear. Wait. Your internal monitor will go black eventually.

10 Basic
11 YellowBanged

6. No reason for panic. You are good. You have an external monitor working. Both AMD cars are yellow banged, one with Error 43, the other with 12:

13 Error 12
12 Error43

7. Just disable the dGPU "Radeon Pro 560X" and reboot.

14 Disabled
20 Finished

Hurra! It works. You have both cards running, including the internal display. No Error 12, no hack, no dirty trick, no tinkering with the system.

ReplyQuote
(@albatraoz)

Seems to work for me, however I find my bluetooth seems to stop working after a few minutes (mice, Keyboard). 

Is this expected behaviour?

MB 2017 with GTX970

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Albatraoz

Seems to work for me, however I find my bluetooth seems to stop working after a few minutes (mice, Keyboard). 

Is this expected behaviour?

MB 2017 with GTX970

This is a general problem with windows, that sometimes some devices just stop working, espcially if you change somthing in the configuration, like adding an eGPU. It has nothing to do with this guide per sé.
MacOSX and Linux are much better in this regad

ReplyQuote
(@ez_poo)

Hi,

Thanks for writing this guide. Unfortunately, I cannot get this to work nor any other guide out there. I would really appreciate it if you could help out. 

Computer:
15" 2018 MacBook Pro 
i7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro 555X 

eGPU:
razer core X
RTX 2070 MSI Asus Strix (edited)

Issues:
I followed your steps exactly. However, when I enable the RTX 2070 card I get the same error as the one noted by your image here (except I have the RTX 2070 instead of RX 570 as shown here).

So I then tried disabling the Radeon Pro 555X, rebooting, then hot-plugging the eGPU/2070. However, I get the code 43 error on the card and my external display stays black.

Update:
I was able to get both the 555x and RTX 2070 recognized properly under Display adapters. However, my external display is not working and I am unable to change the project settings. When pressing Windows + P, there is an error that says: "your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using another video card.

Can you please help me figure out how to troubleshoot this problem? 🙁 

This post was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@ez_poo, I am sorry for your trouble. Your issues don't look familiar to me. Did you start with a completely new installation of Bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I moved a large part of my original guide to this "expert-steps", because things have been changed. The following solutions only have value if you don't need/want to use or internal display accelerated with the AMD Gpu:

C) AMD cards: (no accleration on internal display)

It's necessary to have an external monitor. For the 2018 model you cannot use an AMD eGPU without external monitor. For other 15-inch models there is a possibility to enable the iGPU and disable the dGPU. This is not part of this guide, you can look them up at this site.

1. Hot-plug your eGPU on a running windows system.
2. Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
3. Finally your card will appear in Device Manager under "Display Adapters", but it will not work yet.

4. Reboot. (Important: It can happen that the internal screen went black already, then you must hard-reset your computer now, because you don't see a thing.)
5. After reboot your internal monitor stays black, but the external monitor works with this scenario: Radeon Pro 560X is yellow banged with Error 43 and there is nothing you can do about it.

RadeonPro560XError43

6. Now just disable the RadeonPro560X with right-mouse-click on the device, which yields to

RadeonPro560XDisabled

7. Reboot and Done!

D) Two (2) Cards, nVidia and AMD: (no accleration on internal display)

Actually the combination of eGPU cards is even easier than one AMD card alone, because you will always have (external) display.
Begin with the nVidia card, starting with A), then

6.) Hot-plug in the AMD eGPU.
7.) Give the system some time, at least a couple of minutes, it will install the drivers by itself..
8.) You internal display will go black, but your external display with the nVidia is still working. This is giving you a huge advantage, because you can see what's going on:

AfterInternalDisplayWentBlack

Radeon Pro 560X stopped working, and the external AMD eGPU RX 570 is yellow banged with Error 12. The system wants to reboot, but first
9). Disable Radeon Pro 560X in Device Manager
10.) Reboot and it is working perfecty:

AfterReboot

E) AMD Cards and you want to use the AMD dGPU when not connected to an eGPU: (no accleration on internal display)
Unfortunately the default apple AMD drivers will not work anymore. If you use windows only with an eGPU, it doesn't matter, but if you care, there are some more steps to do:

8. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com
9. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4/5)
10. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon Pro 560x", check the option that you want to remove installation files.
11. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 8, "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters".
12. Now you have two options:

a) Disable "Radeon Pro Series" when you are using the eGPU in order to have internal display working, but not accelerated.
b) Enabled "Radeon Pro Series" when you are not using an eGPU. You will get fully working internal display.

When you start your macbook with the enabled "Radeon Pro Series", you can hotplug the eGPU, e.g. for using secondary ports, but it will not work as gpu because of Error 12, which can be resolved with a reboot.

RX580YellowBangedError12

Either way you must reboot in order to switch between a) and b)

Notes:
a) With nVidia card you can have accelerated internal display, but you must hotplug the the eGPU to avoid a black screen.

b) With AMD card you cannot have accelerated internal display. You must disable the Radeon Pro 560X in Device manager to have an internal display at all. This is also possible for nVidia and has the advantage, that the eGPU does not have to be hot-plugged.

c) There is no reason to believe that this installation will not work with any other MBP. The 15-inches before 2018 should work exactly the same way, the 13-inch Macbooks even much easier. Without AMD dGPU there is a lot of less trouble.

d) Important note as this seems not totally clear: If you hot-plug an AMD eGPU on a system that has been booted without any eGPU, Error 12 can occur. You can solve this by simply rebooting the system with the eGPU plugged in.

ReplyQuote
realistic
(@realistic)

Hi.

This is good stuff indeed, thank you.

My specs are: MBP 2018 with 555x, Razer Core X and Radeon RX 480

It seems like if I just 'uninstall' my eGPU before rebooting, Windows/AMD xConnect is back up and running before Windows is totally shut down. This causes black internal screen next bootup.

I found out that if I use "remove external graphics" option on taskbars xConnect program before uninstalling, Windows doesn't come back up with external screen even if I wait for a while. Does anybody have other good workarounds for that?

I also decided to come up with autohotkey script to shut down the system properly, but did not have time to come up with the perfect solution so far.

I use devManView to uninstall the drivers from the cmdline. Program is unzipped to %userprofile%\Documents\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe in this example.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

First problem is ofc. that I need admin access to uninstall. The best solution so far has been to push the "okay" button by myself, if I dont wanna give permissions to autohotkey itself.
Second problem is that I did not find out how to make xConnect remove external graphics. I do that before pushing my hotkey for the uninstall process.

uninstallRadeonRX480()
{
Run, %comspec% /K %userprofile%\Documents\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe /uninstall "Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics"
TrayTip , "Time to shutdown 5 seconds.", "Shutdown imminent.", 1
sleep, 1000
TrayTip , "Time to shutdown 4 seconds.", "Shutdown imminent.", 1
sleep, 1000
TrayTip , "Time to shutdown 3 seconds.", "Shutdown imminent.", 1
sleep, 1000
TrayTip , "Time to shutdown 2 seconds.", "Shutdown imminent.", 1
sleep, 1000
TrayTip , "Time to shutdown 1 seconds.", "Shutdown imminent.", 1
sleep, 1000
Shutdown, 1
}

Any tips for better solutions?

edit: This was based on an assumption that uninstallation of the eGPU was needed for every shutdown. It seems like there is some other options, I'll check them out and be back when I've got time.

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@realistic
interesting work.

As to the problem that after "uninstalling the eGPU" the eGPU is return before shotdown: This automatic installaion can be switched off. This should prevent the problem.

Unfortunately it is necessary to uninstall it before every reboot if you want to use AMD dGPU (internal display fully accelerated) and AMD eGPU (external disply fully accelerated) at once.
Until recently we weren't even aware of this possibility, it has been common sense that was just not possible (AMD dGPU + eGPU together in Bootcamp)

ReplyQuote
 of  2