Setup & Software Discussions
Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  3
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@abelviking, I wasn't exactly aware of your older AMD dGPU. My guide may not work with your model. It is very interesting what you can achieve! Thank you for consideration.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Posted by: OliverB

@abelviking, I wasn't exactly aware of your older AMD dGPU. My guide may not work with your model. It is very interesting what you can achieve! Thank you for consideration.

Why? And why is it interesting that I achieved something?
You're welcome to get really technical.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Sytem InfoiMAC Late 2015. dGPU AMD M390, OSX 10.12.6, Windows 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804(1803). GYGABYTE AORUS RX580 miniITX eGPU my signature

ReplyQuote
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

Hi everybody,

My Setup: (Bootcamp Windows 1803 German)
MacBookPro Touch 15" Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
HTC Vive Pro

The instructions work for me too. (Thx @oliverb) For me it works only on the left side of the macbook. the connection further away from the screen.

Unfortunately I have the same problem as @sideflap. As soon as I connect a USB-C (Mouse, HTC Vive Pro,...) on the left or right side, the screen freezes immediately. Is there a solution?

My Setup: MacBookPro Touch Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

Hey,

I've been lurking here for a while and reading how to work out a NVIDIA eGPU via Win 10 Bootcamp.

I would like to double check everything before proceeding into the whole project. I truly appreciate any help I can get.

So here is my build:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Version 10.14.3.
Processor: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 16 + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

eGPU:
Razer Core X
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

Is it really that simple, as @OliverB put it:

- Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp (the file I have is "Win10_1809Oct_v2_EnglishInternational_x64.iso").

- Hot-plug TB3 from Razer Core X to MacBook Pro when in Windows 10 desktop (is there a specific port I should connect the TB3, left or right, bottom or top?).

- Wait until the system installs drivers itself.

- Go to Device Manager, find a yellow banged device, right click and disable and after that right click again and enable.

- When it gives an option to reboot the system, don't.

- Go to Step C7.

- Go to Device Manager, see my NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, right click it and "Uninstall Device" but don't check "Delete the driver software for this device."

- Reboot without unplugging eGPU

That should just work without any complications on my MacBook Pro 15" 2018?

Also I have an external BenQ PD2710QC USB Type-C Enabled Designer Monitor that has a dock which connects all peripherals to the monitor and via 1 USB-C (TB3?) to my MacBook Pro.

Should I not use this external monitor when jumping into this procedure? Can I use a DisplayPort to plug my monitor to the eGPU and a TB3 from the eGPU enclosure to my MacBook Pro, and keep that USB-C from my monitor to the MacBook Pro to still have all my peripherals hooked up on the monitor dock?

I hope I didn't make this post too long and complicated. I just don't want to jump into any procedure without being confident. A massive thank you in advance to everyone.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: brandmee.ch, Marco Leu

Hi everybody,

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
HTC Vive Pro

The instructions work for me too. (Thx @oliverb) For me it works only on the left side of the macbook. the connection further away from the screen.

@brandmee_ch_marco_leu

That is very interesting! Can you please confirm:

You have a 15-inch 2016 MacBookPro with an AMD eGPU and my Bootcamp guide worked for you? You didn't need any hack to avoid Error 12? 

@itsage, @mac_editor, @eightarmedpet, please take note of this case! Thank you.

Unfortunately I have the same problem as @sideflap. As soon as I connect a USB-C (Mouse, HTC Vive Pro,...) on the left or right side, the screen freezes immediately. Is there a solution?

Fortunately I never had this issue.. but this means, I don't know how this can happen at all and what to do against it. Perhaps anybody else in this forum knows what to do?!

@wilkmn, nVidia cards are very easy for everyone. You don't need step C7 and C8 necessarily for nVidia cards. That is only if you don't want to hotplug the eGPU after Windows finished loading, which is well possible.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB, wow...great! Sort of weird because almost every other guide seems to drive me into paths that require some DDU's, EFI-boots, etc.

Would you have a view on the question about my external monitor, the peripherals that run through the monitors built-in dock and the whole external monitor, eGPU and MacBook connection set-up?

Thanks again in advance!

-W

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: wilkmn

@OliverB, wow...great! Sort of weird because almost every other guide seems to drive me into paths that require some DDU's, EFI-boots, etc.

Would you have a view on the question about my external monitor, the peripherals that run through the monitors built-in dock and the whole external monitor, eGPU and MacBook connection set-up?

@wilkmn, that is what I am talking about since months. Before I started with eGPU I though, too, that there a tons of hacks necessary for Bootcamp. Fortunately I could borrow an AMD eGPU from a colleague and it worked immediately out of the box!
What, no DSDT Override? No EFI-Bootloader? Not this hack? No that hack? 

Until today I am not running my Windows without any tricks and it works for AMD and nVidia.

To your question: It should work as you described, you can continue using you monitor a USB-Hub. The Razer Core X hasn't got any ports, which is a pity. My Asus XG Station Pro has a USB-C Port which is great.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Hi everybody,

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
HTC Vive Pro

@brandmee_ch_marco_leu

That is very interesting! Can you please confirm:

You have a 15-inch 2016 MacBookPro with an AMD eGPU and my Bootcamp guide worked for you? You didn't need any hack to avoid Error 12? 

@itsage, @mac_editor, @eightarmedpet, please take note of this case! 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

There have been multiple reports of 2017 15 inch MacBooks being plug and play. This has been discussed by all previously. You really need to chill out on your crusade. 
Things change, solutions evolve or become unnecessary, the mods started this site years ago when things were different and keep things as up to date as possible.

@eightarmedpet, it's a 2016 15-inch MacBook and I was told several times that this notebook wouldn't work because of Error 12.

There are still several current builds where still ports are being disabled and unnecessary hacks are being used. Users are confusing the necessity and complexity of this matter. People are using Anti-Error 13 hack on very easy setups and only damaging their systems. I can cite several examples.

I myself went with an apparently broken MacBook to apple service, because the internal display wouldn't lit anymore. It was a result of one of those hacks.
All those things are not only damaging particular setups, it's damaging the whole eGPU community.

It's not a crusade, it's a try to help new users, to clarify things, to simplify.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

There have been multiple reports of 2017 15 inch MacBooks being plug and play. This has been discussed by all previously. You really need to chill out on your crusade. 
Things change, solutions evolve or become unnecessary, the mods started this site years ago when things were different and keep things as up to date as possible.

@eightarmedpet, it's a 2016 15-inch MacBook and I was told several times that this notebook wouldn't work because of Error 12.

There are still several current builds where still ports are being disabled and unnecessary hacks are being used. Users are confusing the necessity and complexity of this matter. People are using Anti-Error 13 hack on very easy setups and only damaging their systems.
I myself went with an apparently broken MacBook to apple service, because the internal display wouldn't lit anymore. It was a result of one of those hacks.

It's not a crusade, it's a try to help new users, to clarify things, to simplify.

Just deleted my post because I didn’t notice it was 2016! Will try with mine too. My point about work arounds evolving is still valid though...

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Just deleted my post because I didn’t notice it was 2016! Will try with mine too. My point about work arounds evolving is still valid though...

Of course your point it is valid!
Machines, Operating Systems and Information evolve. But there are some guides and builds that haven't changed and they should be.

I am quite positive about the fact that especially Windows 10 has evolved, that newer Versions (especially Build 1803) handles eGPU much better than before. This fact should be noted, that why I am emphasizing on the "fresh installed Windows Build 1803 or newer".

- Hot-plug TB3 from Razer Core X to MacBook Pro when in Windows 10 desktop (is there a specific port I should connect the TB3, left or right, bottom or top?).

This is a good question about which port is to be used.

First of all: They should all work. But as almost anything in the eGPU world hot-plugging is matter of luck. Sometimes it won't just work. And I have the feeling that the right ports are a little more reliable than the left ports. There is definitely no difference between the two ports of each side.

If you plan to use 2 eGPUs on day, you have no other choice as to plug one eGPU to each side. They won't work on the same side which means in Windows you cannot use more than 2 eGPUs on a MacBookPro.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb I’ll test out my 2016 as per this guide  this coming weekend and will update you with findings. 
It was previously plug and play for Nvidia but I broke windows and gave up.

---

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

I confirm the following:

MacBookPro Touch 15" Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 (Mojave 10.14.3)
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

1. Install Windows 10 1803 with Bootcamp

2. Install Apple Bootcamp Drivers. Reboot.

3. Download AMD drivers von bootcampdrivers.com

4. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. ("Change advanced startup option" -> "Restart now" -> Option 4)

5. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon", check the option that you want to remove installation files.

6. Install Bootcampdrivers downloaded in 3., "Radeon Pro Series" will appear under "Display Adapters". Reboot without eGPU.

7. HotPlug eGPU (left side, away from the display) => AMD eGPU will be yellow banged with error 12.

8. Uninstall the eGPU directly from Device Manager: (Do not delete the drivers)
https://prntscr.com/n7e1xk

9. Reboot immediately. The macbook monitor hangs. https://prntscr.com/n7e1nt
when the external monitor appears windows and works. https://prntscr.com/n7e1sy

The problem is that I have no other device like mouse or htc vive pro can connect. the screen freezes.

My Setup: MacBookPro Touch Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

This is a good question about which port is to be used.

First of all: They should all work. But as almost anything in the eGPU world hot-plugging is matter of luck. Sometimes it won't just work. And I have the feeling that the right ports are a little more reliable than the left ports. There is definitely no difference between the two ports of each side.

If you plan to use 2 eGPUs on day, you have no other choice as to plug one eGPU to each side. They won't work on the same side which means in Windows you cannot use more than 2 eGPUs on a MacBookPro.

Hey, someone mentioned in Reddit that they recommend plugging the TB3 from the eGPU to the MacBook right when you see the Windows 10 loading circle appear.

Would you recommend this?

ReplyQuote
Cycloned
(@cycloned)

I'm not sure if it worked for me.

My laptop : Late 2016 15" MBP, i7 2.9 GHz, Radeon 460 Pro
eGPU and Card: Akitio Node TB3 + GTX 1070

I followed your steps and the 1070 showed up after 8 minutes with an error 12. I disabled and renabled but the yellow warning sign didn't go away and it still showed error 12.

I then uninstalled the drivers and restarted. The card still shows up with a warning sign and error 12.

Did it work?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

5. Uninstall apple provided drivers "AMD Radeon", check the option that you want to remove installation files.

….

9. Reboot immediately. The macbook monitor hangs. https://prntscr.com/n7e1nt
when the external monitor appears windows and works. https://prntscr.com/n7e1sy

The problem is that I have no other device like mouse or htc vive pro can connect. the screen freezes.

@brandmee_ch_marco_leu Unfortunately Step 5 didn't work correctly. As you can still see "Radeon Pro 455", the default Apple Driver hasn't been removed.
My Tip: Start Again from Step 5, but use the Tool "DDU" (is coming with the Bootcampdrivers) to uninstall all Radeon Driver.

I just have changed this step in my guide, because it's the more reliable way.

The rest of the guide keeps the same.

Hey, someone mentioned in Reddit that they recommend plugging the TB3 from the eGPU to the MacBook right when you see the Windows 10 loading circle appear.

@wilkmn This trick "plugging-in during the loading circle" is only necessary under certain circumstances where the computer won't boot with the eGPU Plugged in. In you system this is not necessary, but booting with the eGPU plugged-in already, it should be good.

Posted by: Cycloned

I followed your steps and the 1070 showed up after 8 minutes with an error 12. I disabled and renabled but the yellow warning sign didn't go away and it still showed error 12.

I then uninstalled the drivers and restarted. The card still shows up with a warning sign and error 12.

Did it work?

@cycloned Unfortunately it didn't work. Error 12 is not supposed to appear with nVidia cards. This can have two reasons:

1) The GPU is defective.
2) Windows is defective.

ReplyQuote
Cycloned
(@cycloned)

Did it work?

@cycloned Unfortunately it didn't work. Error 12 is not supposed to appear with nVidia cards. This can have two reasons:

1) The GPU is defective.
2) Windows is defective.

I don't think either of those reasons are correct.

I was able to get my 1070 to work with itsage's most recent tutorial on fixing error 12 with goalesque's automate eGPU + custom DSDT.aml.

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@wilkmn This trick "plugging-in during the loading circle" is only necessary under certain circumstances where the computer won't boot with the eGPU Plugged in. In you system this is not necessary, but booting with the eGPU plugged-in already, it should be good.

Good to know, sir! I'm now extremely confident in this and will try today. I'll report my experience later on. A MASSIVE thank you.

@OliverB, OK so everything ran extremely smooth. I installed Windows, hot plugged and heard a sound of the eGPU connecting to the machine. I didn't get any notification on installing drivers though. I went to Device Manager to see the GTX 1080 Ti yellow banged, I followed the steps to disable the device, not restarting and then enabling it again, but unfortunately it still gives me the yellow bang.

What should I do?

Edit: I checked the yellow bang and it is Code: 43.

Edit 2: Would you recommend following this? https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@OliverB, OK so everything ran extremely smooth. I installed Windows, hot plugged and heard a sound of the eGPU connecting to the machine. I didn't get any notification on installing drivers though. I went to Device Manager to see the GTX 1080 Ti yellow banged, I followed the steps to disable the device, not restarting and then enabling it again, but unfortunately it still gives me the yellow bang.

What should I do?

Edit 2: Would you recommend following this? https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

@nando's solution is not for TB3. It won't help here.

Error 43 has normally two reasons:
1) Card is defective
2) eGPU has not been correctly initialized (yet).

If you can rule out 1), it's 2). In most cases (not always) disabling and re-enabling the eGPU is enough. It's not always the case (happened to me, too) then you have either unplug and replug the eGPU or more reliably: Reboot.

If you reboot you have follow Step C7) if not you will lose internal display, but for just testing the GPU an internal display is not mandatory.

Did it work?

1) The GPU is defective.
2) Windows is defective.

I don't think either of those reasons are correct.

I was able to get my 1070 to work with itsage's most recent tutorial on fixing error 12 with goalesque's automate eGPU + custom DSDT.aml.

Yes, there are always exception for anything. I my case, I never had Error 12 with almost 100 nVidia cards. It's definitely not a very common thing to happen. AMD cards are another story though.

ReplyQuote
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

I have uninstalled the driver with DDU. https://prntscr.com/n7xv5v

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

What should I do?

@nando's solution is not for TB3. It won't help here.

Error 43 has normally two reasons:
1) Card is defective
2) eGPU has not been correctly initialized (yet).

If you can rule out 1), it's 2). In most cases (not always) disabling and re-enabling the eGPU is enough. It's not always the case (happened to me, too) then you have either unplug and replug the eGPU or more reliably: Reboot.

If you reboot you have follow Step C7) if not you will lose internal display, but for just testing the GPU an internal display is not mandatory.

Hey @OliverB

1) Card shouldn't be defective, it was taken from my personal computer where it worked perfectly fine.

2) I don't really understand this, sorry.

I will try to uninstall the drivers as C7) explained and reboot immediately and see if it works out.

Would you have any plan B if this wouldn't work out?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have uninstalled the driver with DDU. https://prntscr.com/n7xv5v

@brandmee_ch_marco_leu did you continue my guide with Step 6 Installing Bootcampdrivers?

Hey @OliverB

1) Card shouldn't be defective, it was taken from my personal computer where it worked perfectly fine.

I will try to uninstall the drivers as C7) explained and reboot immediately and see if it works out.

@wilkmn

1) Good. It's best  to test with another system.

2) I want to say that the plugging of the eGPU is not 100% reliable in Windows. Sometimes it just doesn't work as it is supposed to. That's when you may get an unexpected Error 43 which can't be removed by disabling and reenabling the GPU.

This Error 43 must disappear latest after next reboot. If Error 43 doesn't vanish, you must  either recheck the hardware (GPU, enclosure, cable) or reinstall the software (Windows) :/

Persistent Error 43 means, either hardware or software is defective.

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

Hey @OliverB

@wilkmn

1) Good. It's best  to test with another system.

2) I want to say that the plugging of the eGPU is not 100% reliable in Windows. Sometimes it just doesn't work as it is supposed to. That's when you may get an unexpected Error 43 which can't be removed by disabling and reenabling the GPU.

This Error 43 must disappear latest after next reboot. If Error 43 doesn't vanish, you must  either recheck the hardware (GPU, enclosure, cable) or reinstall the software (Windows) :/

Persistent Error 43 means, either hardware or software is defective.

Yeah. Is it safe to go to Device Manager and right click the GTX 1080 Ti with the yellow bang, and press "Update driver"?

Since I never got that notification of Windows trying to automatically install any sort of drivers after hot plugging the eGPU to a fresh install of Windows 10.

ReplyQuote
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

I completely agree with what @Oliverb is saying

I just connected a TB2 MacBook (MacBook air 13.3 early 2015 A1466 8GB RAM i5 5250U) to a TB3 enclosure (Sonnet egfx Breakaway 350W) and it works great. I used an apple TB3 to TB 2 adapter plugged into the enclosure and a TB2 cable from there to the TB2 port on the Macbook. I got good benchmarks and it was all plug and play . no DSDT Override. No EFI-Bootloader. Not this hack, No that hack. Bootcamp Windows 1803.

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB

Hey, I now tried again, I am not getting the Error 43 or any yellow bang whatsoever. The only issue I now have is that I ran Heaven again, but it doesn't use my eGPU because the benchmark was exactly the same as without the card. I'm also trying to switch my monitor from using Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort but it keeps changing the input back to Mini DisplayPort.

Should the computer use the eGPU if I get my external monitor to use DisplayPort?

Edit: I've attached the benchmark results underneath. One with eGPU on and one with eGPU off.

eGPU on: https://imgur.com/cPNiiRu

eGPU off: https://imgur.com/KWR3Lw6

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@OliverB

Hey, I now tried again, I am not getting the Error 43 or any yellow bang whatsoever. The only issue I now have is that I ran Heaven again, but it doesn't use my eGPU because the benchmark was exactly the same as without the card. I'm also trying to switch my monitor from using Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort but it keeps changing the input back to Mini DisplayPort.

Should the computer use the eGPU if I get my external monitor to use DisplayPort?

Edit: I've attached the benchmark results underneath. One with eGPU on and one with eGPU off.

eGPU on: https://imgur.com/cPNiiRu

eGPU off: https://imgur.com/KWR3Lw6

@wilkmn, Those benchmarks are definitely not the GTX1080Ti. You are right with the assumption that it is not used.

There are two possibilities to use it:

1) You plug the external monitor directly into the eGPU itself
2) If you want to use internal display or plug the monitor to the notebook you must use "MS Hybrid" in order to switch on the eGPU for particular applications. This is explained here quite often. (It's something "Graphic Option" under "Display Properties". working with MacOSX atm, so I don't recall exactly).

Here is a screenshot of it:

MSHybrid RX570 Display With GTX1080Ti

PS: Behold the to be expected Heaven Benchmark for GTX 1080 Ti For 1600x900p (left) and 1920x1080p(right):

GTX1080Ti onGTX1080TiDisplay
Heaven MBP2018 external

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB

Whoa, yeah definitely not even close to the result you had, lol.

The current monitor set up is what I mentioned a while ago. BenQ monitor that has a built-in dock that connects my monitor and all my peripherals through one USB-C (Thunderbolt 3?) to my MacBook, and a D-Port (DisplayPort) from the BenQ monitor to the eGPU enclosure. I then press from the back of the monitor and try to switch from MiniDisplay to Display Port but it keeps reverting the setting back to MiniDisplay Port. So the eGPU is directly connected to the monitor.

I will see if that graphics specifications set on high performance does anything. Do you think my GTX 1080 Ti is not working because my display is set on MiniDisplay Port?

Edit: What is 'MS Hybrid' btw? I have no idea.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@OliverB

Whoa, yeah definitely not even close to the result you had, lol.

@wilkmn, if you look now, you see the difference is even more for the same resolution. I have a meeting now, so I will not be able to answer your other question soon, you can lookup "MS Hybrid" everywhere (also here at egpu.io). It's quite easy.

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB

Sure, no problems.

I went in to the graphics settings and noticed that it's not showing up my GTX 1080 Ti here. Weird?

graphicssettings heaven

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@OliverB

Sure, no problems.

I went in to the graphics settings and noticed that it's not showing up my GTX 1080 Ti here. Weird?

graphicssettings heaven

I have a short break: Try to install newer nVidia drivers for MSHybrid support.

Anyway: You don't need MSHybrid if you make the external display as "Main display" and start the application from there. Did you do this before?

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB

Sure, no problems.

graphicssettings heaven

I have a short break: Try to install newer nVidia drivers for MSHybrid support.

Anyway: You don't need MSHybrid if you make the external display as "Main display" and start the application from there. Did you do this before?

Hey @OliverB

Windows identifies two monitors, number 1 being the notebook and number 2 being the external monitor. I set up 2 as main display.

This is what advanced display settings tells they are using:

Both are using Radeon Pro Vega 16.

Should I download the latest NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA using f.ex. their automatic GPU detector (GeForce Experience)?

But as said, I cannot get my external monitor to run using the DisplayPort, it keeps changing to MiniDisplay each time I try to switch the input.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@wilkmn

this is not correct. there should be "connected to GTX1080Ti"-
it looks as your monitor gets his image through the USB-C cable connected to the mac. Easiest is to attach the monitor directly to the GPU and use this connection, but this in nothing eGPU specific.. it's your monitor. I don't know your monitor so I can't help you there, sorry.

Are you sure your eGPU is running at all correctly? Can you "GPU-Z" on your GTX1080Ti? Have you tried?

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@wilkmn

this is not correct. there should be "connected to GTX1080Ti"-
it looks as your monitor gets his image through the USB-C cable connected to the mac. Easiest is to attach the monitor directly to the GPU and use this connection, but this in nothing eGPU specific.. it's your monitor. I don't know your monitor so I can't help you there, sorry.

Are you sure your eGPU is running at all correctly? Can you "GPU-Z" on your GTX1080Ti? Have you tried?

Hey @OliverB

I did some testing, here's what's currently going on with my set up. So I disconnected the USB-C cable that connected my monitor and peripherals to the notebook, I also disconnected the DisplayPort from the eGPU that was connected to the external monitor (my external monitor is this: BenQ PD2710QC USB Type-C Enabled Designer Monitor).

So I plugged my eGPU to the top right port of the MacBook and booted into Windows, I ended up having a black screen after the Windows logo and the loading circle. I force shut down the MacBook, and restarted the machine just to end up to the same black screen.

I then proceeded to force shut down again, take off the eGPU from the top right port, boot to Windows, went through a recovery restart because of the force shut downs, didn't do any recovery methods, just restarted the machine. I got to the desktop, and went to Device Manager and hot plugged the eGPU. It was detected without a yellow bang, good start. I then opened up GPU-Z and it detected the 1080 Ti, screenshot attached.

I was about to write a similar reply from the Windows 10 boot but a sudden BSOD hit me, with a code: "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER". I restarted with the eGPU still plugged but got the same black screen as before, so I took it off, restarted to desktop and hot plugged it again, which was then recognised without a yellow bang.

I have no clue what to do. It seems to be detected by Device Manager and GPU-Z but not used.

gpuz

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@wilkmn Ah, your GPU-Z looks as your GTX1080Ti is not running at all.  

Everything must be filled out like this:

First, before anything the GPU-Z must work, you even don't need a monitor for this. Only after this is working, you can attach monitor and do benchmarks. I always check GPU-Z first when I install a new GPU.

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@wilkmn Ah, your GPU-Z looks as your GTX1080Ti is not running at all.  

Everything must be filled out like this:

First, before anything the GPU-Z must work, you even don't need a monitor for this. Only after this is working, you can attach monitor and do benchmarks. I always check GPU-Z first when I install a new GPU.

A-ha! Roger. So now that I know how that must look, should I just keep testing without external monitor, only the eGPU attached to the notebook (MacBook) via Thunderbolt 3 cable, until I see similar specs on GPU-Z and the GTX 1080 Ti as above?

I tried to download NVIDIA GTX 10 -series drivers from NVIDIA website manually but in the beginning of the installation it said my hardware doesn't allow, maybe because I'm on a Mac and it didn't recognize a GTX 1080 Ti because it's not actually inside the computer?

I seriously have no clue what to do right now, I feel like I did everything correctly but no luck. Do you have any idea how I could get my GTX 1080 to run correctly?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@wilkmn 
Your GPU-Z Screenshot looks a little bit like "GPU hasn't been initialised at all". What's saying with right click on GTX1080Ti in Device-Manager and "properties"?

ReplyQuote
 of  3