Setup & Software Discussions
Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  4
  RSS

wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@OliverB

Here is an imgur post with the images from the device managers properties.

https://imgur.com/a/aCxQmGK

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

Ok. Progress. I shut down everything, took out the GPU from the enclosure and re-installed it. This GPU-Z now.

However under advanced display settings, my internal monitor is still saying "Connected to Radeon Pro Vega 16".

No idea what to do.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: wilkmn

@OliverB

Here is an imgur post with the images from the device managers properties.

https://imgur.com/a/aCxQmGK

This looks good. Perhaps it helps to reboot. Don't forget to uninstall this device shortly before (do not remove files) in order not to lose internal display. If this doesn't work, I have more things to try.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

Posted by: OliverB

@wilkmn 
Your GPU-Z Screenshot looks a little bit like "GPU hasn't been initialised at all". What's saying with right click on GTX1080Ti in Device-Manager and "properties"?

Hey @OliverB

I don't know what I did but I just plugged the external monitor and it recognised as DisplayPort and I GOT IT WORKING! Only thing now is that my MacBook Pro's display is completely black.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@wilkmn 
Your GPU-Z Screenshot looks a little bit like "GPU hasn't been initialised at all". What's saying with right click on GTX1080Ti in Device-Manager and "properties"?

Hey @OliverB

I don't know what I did but I just plugged the external monitor and it recognised as DisplayPort and I GOT IT WORKING! Only thing now is that my MacBook Pro's display is completely black.

Yes, that is a general problem that the internal display tends to go black. You can try to "revive" it by unplugging monitor cable from eGPU and re-plug it. If this doesn't work, shutdown, unplug, boot and after windows is fully loaded, hot-plug it!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

@wilkmn 

Hey @OliverB

Yes, that is a general problem that the internal display tends to go black. You can try to "revive" it by unplugging monitor cable from eGPU and re-plug it. If this doesn't work, shutdown, unplug, boot and after windows is fully loaded, hot-plug it!

Roger! I'll give this a shot.

ReplyQuote
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

After install Windows 10 and Apple Boot Camp Drivers https://prntscr.com/n92ytu

5. Uninstall apple drivers with DDU https://prntscr.com/n92zw8
after reboot https://prntscr.com/n930a5

6. Install Bootcampdrivers.com. Reboot without eGPU. https://prntscr.com/n930qq

7. HotPlug eGPU (left side, away from the display) => AMD eGPU will be yellow banged with error 12. https://prntscr.com/n9317c

8. Uninstall the eGPU directly from Device Manager: (Do not delete the drivers) https://prntscr.com/n931nl

9. Reboot immediately.
The macbook monitor hangs.  https://prntscr.com/n932bt
when the external monitor appears windows and works. https://prntscr.com/n932o0

the problem is, if you connect another device then frees the screen and windows restarts. Have tried all ports. With a mouse only after 30 seconds. at a thunderbolt 3 hard drive immediately.
Device Manager before plugging https://prntscr.com/n934w0
after plugging https://prntscr.com/n93541

after the first freeze and reboot the taskbar looks funny. https://prntscr.com/n93793

My Setup: MacBookPro Touch Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

ReplyQuote
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

Is this late 2016 the problem? Would it run with a 2018 Vega 20?

Or would 2016 work with a 1080ti?

My Setup: MacBookPro Touch Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: brandmee.ch, Marco Leu

Is this late 2016 the problem? Would it run with a 2018 Vega 20?

2018 Vega 20 behaves exactly like my 2018 Radeon Pro 560X and should be work exactly equally. My main eGPU is a GTX1080Ti (which is a beast), so yes, this works, but no in Mojave.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: sabrefv

I completely agree with what @Oliverb is saying

I just connected a TB2 MacBook (MacBook air 13.3 early 2015 A1466 8GB RAM i5 5250U) to a TB3 enclosure (Sonnet egfx Breakaway 350W) and it works great. I used an apple TB3 to TB 2 adapter plugged into the enclosure and a TB2 cable from there to the TB2 port on the Macbook. I got good benchmarks and it was all plug and play . no DSDT Override. No EFI-Bootloader. Not this hack, No that hack. Bootcamp Windows 1803.

@sabrefv, thank you for conformation. Of course it works without hacks in Windows* 

I guess some time ago a lot of tricks and hack were necessary, but this has changed. I guess Windows 10 Build 1803 was the correct step in this direction.

*Note: It's different in MacOSX though, there e.g. @mac_editor's purge-wrangler is necessary for several builds, including TB2, nVidia, Legacy AMD, Ti82 and other cases.

ReplyQuote
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

Per the internal screen I haven't had it go black on me. From the first moment it was plug and play and recognized and stayed that way until I turned it off.
I did two heaven benchmarks with this TB2 Mackbook Air 13.3 early 2015 (A1466) (which is actually quite flimsy and has only a dual core i5 5250U, 8GB RAM) on Bootcamp Windows 1803. The egpu enclosure is a Sonnet egfx Breakaway 350 with an XFX Radeon RX 580 black edition (1405Mhz clock) and I used a TB3>TB2 adapter. The first benchmark was with internal and external screen on (HDMI and not Display Port from enclosure to monitor) and I go 1422 at 56.5 FPS. I then turned off the internal screen via Settings -> Display properties (use second screen only) ang got a whopping 2981 at 11.3 FPS. Big, big difference in performance for turning off internal screen. I was quite shocked.

internal2

external2

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@sabrefv
Don't be shocked about the performance difference for internal display, especially in a TB2-Systems. This is normal. I made an analysis in this matter. When I find this post of me, I will post.

A Tip: Try an benchmark which yields a lower FPS on external display, like Unigine Superstition 1080p Extreme and compare it with internal display. You will be surprised.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@All: Please try this guide first! Thank you.

ReplyQuote
ryanthomas1217
(@ryanthomas1217)

@oliverb i tried the post but ran into some issues on my end with the Mac Mini, I don't know if they are unique to my setup thou.

Everything went well up until:

6. Reboot, but before you reboot => Go to Step C7.

On my end what occurred after the reboot is the windows logo would appear on my connected display (mac mini hdmi) (eGPU was also connected here) but it would never show the spinner nor did it boot into the login screen. The only way for me to resolve that was to disconnect my eGPU, boot up with the mac mini hdmi only, and then try to connect the eGPU. Which results in the error 12 in device manager. I know im a bit of a noob here and I really appriciate the help.

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

@ryanthomas1217 what gpu? AMD?
When I did my MacBook air build with Windows bootcamp, Windows automatically detected my AMD external GPU and installed drivers from AMD. I had to remove them using DDU and install the drivers from the bootcampdrivers site and it worked on reboot.
I'm not sure about nvidia but I believe from other posts on this forum that nvidia drivers not officially supported so you would need to install them from NVidia's site . Just I n case I would try DDU to remve current one first in case it's corrupted first and download latest and then reboot with no step in between. I didn't do any of the before C7 stuff and it all worked.

When I did my mini PC build (intel NUC not Mac mini) I connected my mini PC to one monitor (HDMI from mini PC to monitor 1) and the EGPU to another monitor (HDMI or VDI or Display port) to monitor 2. I dint know if this is what you mean by "connected display (mac mini hdmi) (eGPU was also connected here)" but I wouldn't do that. On reboot windows does a lot of detection and automated config (while the windows logo is up and the spinner is spinning). I would guess that it is detecting two outputs from two different GPUs (internal and external) checking configs and also assigning primary and secondary display for extending or mirroring displays. you might want to give that a try.

Maybe you can list your build componnents. Mac mini specs, GPU, Enclosure, TB3? Windows OS version etc.?

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@sabrefv
He is using an AMD eGPU.

@ryanthomas1217
Exactly, you won't be able to hotplug the eGPU, you literally have to boot with it. When you get Error 12, do this step: Uninstall it  (without removing files) and reboot immediately. It works without the uninstalling, too, but you lose the internal display.

The situation with the Mac Mini is a little different, so that you don't have a real internal display, but the display connected your Mac Mini HDMI Port should behave like a MacBookPro internal display.
You are saying you have the eGPU connected to your monitor, too? So there are two cables? Is this another port? Then you should try to switch the input source of your display to that one, where the eGPU is connected.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

People are writing me for this build guide and other contributions.
Thank you all. With your support I will keep my work up.

ReplyQuote
Symen89
(@symen89)

Hi,
did anyone manged to get a vega64 w/ razer core x working in bootcamp with a 13 inch macbook pro 2017?  When i hotplug the thunderbold 3 cable, windows start to crash. When boot with thunderbold 3 plugged. The windows logo flickers on internal display. Sometimes windows doesnt crash when i hotplug the cable and i try to install the amd drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, windows crashed when the amd card is detected. The result is that i cant startup windows anymore (it stays in startup loop) in bootcamp. I did a reinstall three times allready. 
Hope someone can help

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@symen89
When Windows starts to crash on hotplugging an eGPu, you have one of the following issues:
1) The Software (Windows) is defective.
2) The Hardware is defective.

This is a fact. There are no alternatives. So the next stept would be  to change components to check which one is causing the trouble. With AMD cards, please follow my guide Part B). 🙂

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Symen89
(@symen89)

@symen89
any news on your issue?

got it working on 1803 version and  apple_set_os.efi   . from there I could install the AMD drivers.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

I have a question. If I have an eGPU that's running a 1080 FE, I follow steps 1 - 4 and then my eGPU should be powering my internal display? Do I have to uninstall the drivers everytime that I turn the computer off? I am looking to make it so that my 1080 powers my internal display.

ReplyQuote
HKPiax
(@hkpiax)

Hi!
I've read a ton of stuff here, but I simply cannot make it work.
You guys seem very capable, and very polite too, so I'm hoping you might help me!

Here's what I'm using:
MBP late 2018, 13" + touch, 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD.

I'm running on W10, 1903 build, on bootcamp, all genuine.

I wanted an eGPU to play games decently, so I've tried two settings:

- Akitio Node Lite + nVidia 1650 4gb: after some trouble (I'm not that skilled with technical stuff, so I made a couple of mistakes following thesde guides) it started working. I could hot-plug the case and, after a 5-sec freeze followed by the windows sound of removal and insertion of a device, the eGPU was recognized and just worked. Couldn't boot with it plugged tho, but it was not a problem. If I wanted to unplug it, I would just expel the device like a USB-drive, and I could go sleep well. But I wanted to try AMD...

- Gigabyte Gaming Box + AMD RX580 8gb: my god it won't work. I tried following this guide, but I keep getting different results.
At first I installed the AMD standard drivers (Adrenalin basically...?), I would then hot-plug the eGPU and it would freeze 5 seconds, followed by the same two sounds as with the 1650, but two times each. However, no error 12 for me. Already immediately green, with the notification by xConnect of successful connection. I tried uninstalling it like you said in your guide, but it would just reconnect after 30 seconds... Adrenalin too would recognize the card and tell me all about it, but also said that it wasn't connected to any display, and if I tried to open the xConncet progarm (from the "dock") it would not open (and it looked like the resolution of that menu was very low). If I started a game, my poor iGPU would start screaming, because the eGPU was not doing anything (checked with HWInfo too, no changes in temperature or voltage). I tried disabling the iGPU, which made the resolution impossible to change, but once I started a game, it still was the iGPU to compute.

I'm sorry if I'm struggling with some terms, english is not my primary language. But please, please someone help me out I've spent 5 consecutive hours and nothing works...

This post was modified 3 months ago

Macbook Pro 13” + 2,3GHz i5 (4 cores) + touchbar (late 2018)

ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)

@oliverb is there any chance you might have access to a Mac mini 2018 and Windows 10 1903?

I’m curious how things work on this setup with a GTX 1080 card.
I haven’t yet bought an ASUS XG STATION PRO as I want to ensure that it will run smoothly in Windows. Having to uninstall the device (step C7) every single time I want to reboot sounds tedious however.

Thanks for all of your efforts on this. I and many others appreciate it!

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, macOS Mojave
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 1x SM951+3x XP941 512GB, NVIDIA GTX 1080FE, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, Win10 Pro

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Squuiid

I’m curious how things work on this setup with a GTX 1080 card.
I haven’t yet bought an ASUS XG STATION PRO as I want to ensure that it will run smoothly in Windows. Having to uninstall the device (step C7) every single time I want to reboot sounds tedious however.

Step C7 is only necessary when you have an AMD card and you need the internal display to be accelerated. With a GTX1080 you can just hot-plug it after Windows is fully loaded, it's one of the most easy setups.

ReplyQuote
kakahara
(@kakahara)

Posted by: HKPiax

Hi!
I've read a ton of stuff here, but I simply cannot make it work.
You guys seem very capable, and very polite too, so I'm hoping you might help me!

Here's what I'm using:
MBP late 2018, 13" + touch, 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD.

I'm running on W10, 1903 build, on bootcamp, all genuine.

I wanted an eGPU to play games decently, so I've tried two settings:

- Akitio Node Lite + nVidia 1650 4gb: after some trouble (I'm not that skilled with technical stuff, so I made a couple of mistakes following thesde guides) it started working. I could hot-plug the case and, after a 5-sec freeze followed by the windows sound of removal and insertion of a device, the eGPU was recognized and just worked. Couldn't boot with it plugged tho, but it was not a problem. If I wanted to unplug it, I would just expel the device like a USB-drive, and I could go sleep well. But I wanted to try AMD...

- Gigabyte Gaming Box + AMD RX580 8gb: my god it won't work. I tried following this guide, but I keep getting different results.
At first I installed the AMD standard drivers (Adrenalin basically...?), I would then hot-plug the eGPU and it would freeze 5 seconds, followed by the same two sounds as with the 1650, but two times each. However, no error 12 for me. Already immediately green, with the notification by xConnect of successful connection. I tried uninstalling it like you said in your guide, but it would just reconnect after 30 seconds... Adrenalin too would recognize the card and tell me all about it, but also said that it wasn't connected to any display, and if I tried to open the xConncet progarm (from the "dock") it would not open (and it looked like the resolution of that menu was very low). If I started a game, my poor iGPU would start screaming, because the eGPU was not doing anything (checked with HWInfo too, no changes in temperature or voltage). I tried disabling the iGPU, which made the resolution impossible to change, but once I started a game, it still was the iGPU to compute.

I'm sorry if I'm struggling with some terms, english is not my primary language. But please, please someone help me out I've spent 5 consecutive hours and nothing works...

I've got a similar situation except I have the 5700 XT 50th Anniversary edition.
i7/16gb/512 Macbook Pro 13" 2019 model, Razer Core X.
Windows 10 1903
If I try booting with the eGPU connected, I get tearing and flickering on the Windows logo.
If I hotplug during spinning dots, I get error 12.
This was all a new installation and Windows did not recognise the card/attempt to auto install drivers initially.
Drivers were taken direct from AMD's website.

I'd be wanting to use the internal monitor.
As per the advice on this thread I have not used any hacks or workarounds (yet).
One thing I'm wondering is if I should try to find 1803 and try with that.

Macbook Pro 13" i7 2019, Razer Core X, 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@kakahara and everybody else:

Important Note about Windows 10 Build 1903: On my 15-inch MPB 2018 it looks as there is a improvement concerning the hot-plugging of AMD cards. For booting with AMD cards there was no change on that MacBook. But, on my 13-inch MBP 2015 everything went worse with Build 1903.

It's a good indication that the OS Version and integrity is crucial for the occurrence of Error 12. This guide works best with a a freshly installed  Windows 10 Build 1803.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Dear community,

I do have a reproducible error in Bootcamp:
Plugging an nVidia eGPU into the left side TB3 port yields an Error 43, which the right site works just fine. Is there anybody else who encounters this phenomena?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb

Interesting. I used to have issues with left/right ports on an AMD card too, but I recall it was some older Windows 10 build. Haven’t encountered error 43 as much in general. Does uninstalling the device from device manager and then hot-plugging again help?

This post was modified 1 month ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@oliverb

Interesting. I used to have issues with left/right ports on an AMD card too, but I recall it was some older Windows 10 build. Haven’t encountered error 43 as much in general. Does uninstalling the device from device manager and then hot-plugging again help?

@mac_editor
uninstalling the device doesn't help, actually nothing helps. I really thought my windows was defective, only by accident I tried the right side and it worked. Of course my windows installation is quite old meanwhile and I guess it would be better to make a fresh one. Fresh installations always work better.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

This is really a great guide and shows how eGPU can work with bootcamp. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Maerdikai
(@maerdikai)

Thanks so much for this guide! I have a 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro (with 555x), Razer Core X, and RX 590. I followed this guide and the eGPU works perfectly on the latest version of Windows (1903). I can't hot plug (error 12), but a cold plug has no issues.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
(@amor_mai)

@oliverb

After completing the third step, I failed to install AMD driver in the fourth step. How can I solve this problem?

ReplyQuote
riversde
(@riversde)

@oliverb

Hi, I can confirm this to work on my Macbook Pro 15” 2017 and my beast 2060RTX Super and Razor CoreX enclosure.  On this setup I need to connect it on Left top TB3.

Running Bootcamp and Destiny2 beautifully!!  Thanks to all on this Forum and to @Oliverb for this simple fix.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Running on: MB 2017 15” with Razer Core X and Nvidia 2060 Super RTX

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @amor_mai

@oliverb

After completing the third step, I failed to install AMD driver in the fourth step. How can I solve this problem?

Can you tell us more about this "failure". What exactly happens? Is there an error message? It's important to have all AMD driver removed with DDU (Step 3).

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@OliverB 

Hello,

I am currently using a MBP 2019 15" and have hooked up a Razer Core V2 w/ a GTX 1080 hooked up.

It's been a while since I've used my eGPU due to school, etc. Today, I decided to hop on CS:GO as I used to play that game a ton back home. Upon launching it, I found out that frames were semi-skipping. The best way to describe this issue would be that the frames stutter and you can see pixels move slowly and a bunch of tearing occurs. If you've ever seen displays have their refresh rate overclocked and artifacts begin to show, it's somewhat like that. 

With some trouble shooting that I've done, I've found out that by having Task Manager open while I run the game my dGPU is doing some sort of computational work with 3D graphics - exactly the same as my eGPU; however, my eGPU is also doing the Video Encoding etc. (the heavy work). 

I am utilizing MS Hybrid and it has been working perfectly for games such as F1 2018. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any frame skips with that game, maybe since it isn't as demanding. 

I am very stumped and if you have advice on how to go about fixing this that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you a ton in advance!

ReplyQuote
 of  4