Thinkpad W540 + ADT-LINK + Apple TB3 to TB1/2 adapter problem

Notifications
Clear all

Thinkpad W540 + ADT-LINK + Apple TB3 to TB1/2 adapter problem  

RSS

rastakuere
(@rastakuere)

Hi,

I am trying to set up an egpu on my Thinkpad W540 with a ADT-LINK R43SG-TB3 Thunderbolt 3 device connected to my laptop through an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter without any success.

I can force the ADT-LINK to startup by setting the SW1 to position 2. Everything seems to work fine on the GPU side. However, I cannot get my laptop to recognize the egpu.

Can someone help me to figure out what I am doing wrong please?

Thank you for your answers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Thunderbolt 3 mainboard needs downstream power delivery from the host computer in order to work. Through the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, there's no PD and therefore the TB3 mainboard cannot power on.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rastakuere
(@rastakuere)

Thanks for your answer.

Is there a way to power the TB3 mainboard by other means?

Edit 1: There is a 3.3V entry on my m.2 to TB3 board. I will try to figure out something.

Edit 2: Does not work 🙁

This post was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Roberto Sobrinho da Silva
(@roberto_sobrinho_da_silva)

Hi @rastakuere, how exactly did you try? Because I have the same issue, but with macbook air 2017. Then I’m thinking to power up the TB3 board ART160610 in some away.  

ReplyQuote