Setup & Software Discussions
"Thread stuck" BSOD with RX480 and Akitio Node

"Thread stuck" BSOD with RX480 and Akitio Node  

RSS

trijoco
(@trijoco)

Hi, I have an Akitio Node and XFX RX 480 and am getting the "Thread stuck in device driver" BSOD.
Specs: Lenovo ThinkPad T470, BIOS v1.58, Win10 1809 build 17763.557, TB3 software package v17.4.78.500, AMD Driver v18.12.1.1
Attempts at a fix: Un/reinstalled newest drivers with wifi disabled and using DDU, installed older drivers a forum member purported to have working (hence 18.12.1.1), disabled fast boot, checked for faulty enclosure with GTX 960 - working fine

My computer will start up, make the "device connected" sound, and then BSOD. The eGPU works fine and show in device manager if I install the drivers fresh after DDUing, and Windows gives me an Relive/XConnect notification to say that an eGPU has been connected, but if I turn the computer off and back on, the BSODs resume.

I've seen conflicting reports of TB3 BIOS settings making a difference, can anyone confirm? Any help would be much appreciated, I'm not sure what else I can try.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

What vBIOS version does the card have?

Find out with GPU-Z utility.

Borrowed my friend's RX480 in Sonnet 550 to try to track down the bug where some 40G cables are detected as 20G between 2015 and 2016 controllers.

Same issue, BSODs any Windows (except for occasionally) and Linux driver fails to load. When I complained, my friend mentions it also often kills his OSX when hot-added, and hangs if attached at boot.

It could be faulty. It is a HIS RX480 IceQX^2 Roaring OC 8G, so no vBIOS upgrades available, it seems. 015.050.000.000.000000 vBIOS version. All of the others (including flashing RX580 to secondary vBIOS chip) make it fail in other ways.

I cannot tell if the issue exclusively happens with Thunderbolt or if it can also happen in PCIe slot.

Putting Thunderbolt into pre-boot mode and SL0 to allow it to appear before OS loads can sometimes work, and sometimes kill it with BSOD on boot.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
trijoco
(@trijoco)

@karatekid430

Thanks for your response! I've just been managing with reinstalling the drivers every time I use it but a definitive yes it works/no it's stuffed would be great closure.

vBIOS version looks to be the same version as yours: https://imgur.com/a/OaNhEu7

I did change the security level (and probably pre-boot mode settings too) in my BIOS from "User Authorisation" to whatever the "Nothing" option is, and it worked for one boot, and one boot only as you say. Changing it back to "User Authorisation" and to "Nothing" again on the next reboot just gave me another BSOD.

ReplyQuote