Trying to figure out behavior, any advice appreciated: Sonnet Breakaway + Dell 9...

Notifications
Clear all

Trying to figure out behavior, any advice appreciated: Sonnet Breakaway + Dell 9370 + Radeon 5700xt  

RSS

Bill Stripp
(@bill_stripp)

I have a sonnet breakaway box along with a XFX 5700 XT Thicc III inside of it.  I am pairing that with a Dell 7390 XPS 13. 

I originally had a Sapphire 580 in the box and upgraded it to the 5700xt.  Which... has lead to problems.

The larger VRAM caused the dreaded error 12, which I've mostly gotten around by letting Thunderbolt have "preboot" resources (A Dell Bios option that I assume created the large memory block) which as long as I've disabled Bitlocker allows me to boot with the card being recognized and working.  Additionally, I turned off power savings on the PCIe channels which I suspected might have been a problem for a while.

So this brings me to the present.  I can run any number of spreadsheets, videos, and other things through the eGPU for hours on end.  However, as soon as I try to do anything demanding... like run Furmark, things go south.

It will run fine for anywhere from 1-10 minutes and then the eGPU disconnects and tries to reconnect.  When this happens, the Large Memory Block is gone and the device returns with the Error 12.  This also means I can not hot swap ever.  

I have not tried the PCI.sys swap yet and will attempt that.  However, any other thoughts would be wonderful.  Thanks for reading, I'm running out of levers to pull and getting close to just building a mini-itx with the parts I have 🙂

Edit: One other thing that may contribute is that the Sonnet box had a power supply failure, so I replaced it with some Insignia 450W power supply I had.  I'm wondering if that's part of the issue.

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2019 13" Dell XPS 13 7390 [10th,6C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Titan) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bill Stripp
(@bill_stripp)

Well I might as well update this in case anyone else was looking.

I am not sure what was wrong on the Sonnet box.  I had a Aorus 1070 box which I tested and found to be 100% stable.  Bought an Akitio Titan and put the 5700 xt in it and things have been rock solid since.  No issues with error 12, I can hot swap and everything is as it should be.

I know the Titan has a different chipset, but so far everything with this box has been brilliant.

2019 13" Dell XPS 13 7390 [10th,6C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Titan) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote