Setup & Software Discussions
Trying to get Vega 56 to work in Windows with a 2019 iMac.

Trying to get Vega 56 to work in Windows with a 2019 iMac.  

RSS

Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Hello, so I recently got the new 2019 iMac and have had some issues trying to get my eGPU working in Windows. It's a Vega 56 in a Sonnet Breakaway 550.

In Windows if I connect the eGPU after booting the fan ramps up but never shows up in device manager or shows anything on the display connected to it. If I boot the computer with the eGPU connected the fan ramps up and and back down like usual but I get a black screen on my iMac and secondary display. The eGPU works perfectly in MacOS. I thought that it would also be plug and play in Windows. Is there any fixes that I need to install to get this working? I also don't see any error messages like error 12. Any help is appreciated!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Apple provided graphics drivers for the Radeon discrete GPU in Boot Camp is not compatible with standard GPUs such as the RX Vega 56. In order to use the RX Vega 56 eGPU you’d need Radeon drivers from AMD. However these standard drivers don’t work with the iMac dGPU. There’s modified Radeon drivers that work with both the iMac dGPU and RX Vega 56 eGPU. You can download it from Bootcampdrivers.com. For an overview of the installation process, you can read this post.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Ok great. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to wait a little while before updated drivers come out for the Vega 48.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Coded Games

Hello, so I recently got the new 2019 iMac and have had some issues trying to get my eGPU working in Windows. It's a Vega 56 in a Sonnet Breakaway 550.

In Windows if I connect the eGPU after booting the fan ramps up but never shows up in device manager or shows anything on the display connected to it. If I boot the computer with the eGPU connected the fan ramps up and and back down like usual but I get a black screen on my iMac and secondary display. The eGPU works perfectly in MacOS. I thought that it would also be plug and play in Windows. Is there any fixes that I need to install to get this working? I also don't see any error messages like error 12. Any help is appreciated!

I have the imac 2019 in signature, and I'm using a egpu but nvidia without problems.
Even with the previous mac in bootcamp I couldn't get a radeon to work.
If you can I suggest you use an nvidia because the bootcamp configuration is very simple.

iMac 27" 5k 2019 (i9 9900k 3,6ghz, 40gb ram ddr4 2666 mhz, ssd 1tb, dgpu Radeon pro vega 48 8gb), Egpu: Razer Core X with ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
Osx 10.14.6
Windows 10 pro 1903 (bootcamp with external ssd 1tb Samsung evo 860)

ReplyQuote
dvs
 dvs
(@dvs)

Just registered, first post 🙂

I spent a very frustrating couple of days getting my 2019 Mac Mini working in Windows with a Vega 56, here's what I did in the end (after doing a bunch of stuff that didn't work)

1. Used DDU to get rid of all existing drivers
2. Set windows to not automatically install new drivers
3. Downloaded the AMD driver pack from bootcampdrivers.com 
4. Boot into Windows using iGPU (eGPU powered off)
5. Power on eGPU and install the AMD driver pack
-- 
At this point, it installs correctly and in theory is now working (but needs a restart). Unfortunately for me I am also using a 1TB external SSD plugged into one of the Thunderbolt 3 port. So windows WOULD NOT BOOT if both the eGPU and SSD are plugged in, just a flashing green/black screen during the windows boot phase. So.....
--
6. Unplug any other devices, especially from TB3 ports
7. Power on using eGPU display output (unplug monitor from the HDMI)
8. At windows logon screen, plug back in any other devices including for me the 1TB SSD

The reason for needing to unplug devices is because apparently AMD + TB3 + Windows is not a good combo, and the OS doesn't know how to correctly manage device resources. So if you have the AMD eGPU and other stuff in TB3 ports, windows will try and assign them the same resources which for the eGPU will cause a failure. This is what the 'Error 12' describes. When you unplug everything you essentially grant the whole system for the AMD eGPU, which allows it to run successfully, then the other devices can be allocated normally afterwards.

Hopefully that helps!

2019 Mac Mini (i5 hex-core, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD), Razer Core X + Vega 56, Asus ROG PG279Q
Core i7 7700K @ 5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVME, 3TB SATA, RTX 2080Ti, Asus ROG PG348Q

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@dvs.
have you tried this fine and easy Bootcamp guide?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
dvs
 dvs
(@dvs)

@OliverB I haven't seen that guide but props for making it look very simple! So you're saying that uninstalling the iGPU from Windows will stop the TB3 resource issue? The reason I query is because when sorting in device manager by connection type, it's not the iGPU that is conflicting with the eGPU inside a PCI-Express resource pool, it's usually something else like an audio adapter or something

This post was modified 8 months ago

2019 Mac Mini (i5 hex-core, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD), Razer Core X + Vega 56, Asus ROG PG279Q
Core i7 7700K @ 5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVME, 3TB SATA, RTX 2080Ti, Asus ROG PG348Q

ReplyQuote