Share:

Trying to get Vega 56 to work in Windows with a 2019 iMac.  

RSS

Coded Games
(@coded-games)
April 12, 2019 6:27 am  

Hello, so I recently got the new 2019 iMac and have had some issues trying to get my eGPU working in Windows. It's a Vega 56 in a Sonnet Breakaway 550.

In Windows if I connect the eGPU after booting the fan ramps up but never shows up in device manager or shows anything on the display connected to it. If I boot the computer with the eGPU connected the fan ramps up and and back down like usual but I get a black screen on my iMac and secondary display. The eGPU works perfectly in MacOS. I thought that it would also be plug and play in Windows. Is there any fixes that I need to install to get this working? I also don't see any error messages like error 12. Any help is appreciated!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Topic Tags
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 14, 2019 12:34 am  

The Apple provided graphics drivers for the Radeon discrete GPU in Boot Camp is not compatible with standard GPUs such as the RX Vega 56. In order to use the RX Vega 56 eGPU you'd need Radeon drivers from AMD. However these standard drivers don't work with the iMac dGPU. There's modified Radeon drivers that work with both the iMac dGPU and RX Vega 56 eGPU. You can download it from Bootcampdrivers.com. For an overview of the installation process, you can read this post.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)
April 16, 2019 10:14 am  

Ok great. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to wait a little while before updated drivers come out for the Vega 48.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote