Notifications
Clear all

Unusual Problem with Hotplugging  

RSS

Wa1fu
(@wa1fu)

I have a very unusual problem, and am wondering if anybody has experienced the same/know a fix.

I have a Razer Core X, GPU is a RX 580 connected to a Lenovo Yoga 730 15” with no external monitor.

When I hotplug the eGPU and turn it on, I get the Thunderbolt device error message from Windows and the Thunderbolt driver doesn't start in device manager. However, when I turn my epgu off and on, it will show up as "Base System Device" in Devices and Printers, and the Thunderbolt controller in device manager shows up with the error,

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

After doing this and then restarting my laptop, it connects to the thunderbolt software and the drivers work properly. 

Another odd thing is that shutting my laptop off, turning on the eGPU and then starting windows doesn’t work either, the only way for me to connect my eGPU properly is through this process. 

I am using lenovo drivers with thunderbolt driver version 17.4.78.21

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@wa1fu, What Thunderbolt Security settings for your Yoga 730. Maybe go into the BIOS and change it to No Security.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Wa1fu
(@wa1fu)

@itsage, my Thunderbolt security settings are SL1, however the yoga 730 BIOS does not allow you to configure security settings, it only allows me to turn on Thunderbolt Assist Mode.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Wa1fu
(@wa1fu)

@itsage, found the solution, it was because my eGPU was connected to a plug extender, not the wall socket.

After power cycling and connecting it directly to the wall socket it works properly.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote