VEGA FE shuts down my Silverstone SFX 650 in Mantiz Venus. What should I do, how...

Notifications
Clear all

VEGA FE shuts down my Silverstone SFX 650 in Mantiz Venus. What should I do, how do I make a Windows eGPU install?  

RSS

Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

I bought the VEGA FE, and i pared it with a SFX Silverstone 650W 80 gold, and it shutdowns every time when i run Geekbench 4 OpenCL test. Also, in bootcamp the AMD RadeonPro Adrenaline drivers can’t find my VEGA FE, only way i was able to make it work was by using the search driver in folder feature but it doesn’t let me switch between modes (gaming/professional) and i also suffer shutdown issues. Do you think that maybe the Corsair SFX 600W is a better and reliable choice (50W less than my Silverstone)? also do you know a way for windows to install my eGPU?

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@juan_c_yunis for Boot Camp eGPU setup, read my step-by-step guide. I’m currently running benchmarks with a 2016 15″ MBP + Vega FE ASUS ROG XG2 eGPU. Radeon Pro Adrenalin 17.12.1 installs and runs with Windows 10 1709 fine on my setup.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Thanks man @itsage, only way i was able to make it work with my mid 2017 15″ was by disabling the resource 1901 x16, so the only AMD card in my system was the VEGA FE, after that the driver was able to identify the VEGA FE and install. I still have some issues with the power, but i’m not sure if the problem is the PSU or the card itself, I have a SFX Silverstone 650W PSU inside the Mantiz Venus and inside i have a 2.5″ hard drive plus 2 USB devices connected (web camera and xbox one wireless dongle). Only way I was able to make it “work” was by undervolting the card in the last 3 states, adjusting fan RPM, temperature target, etc. Do you think the PSU is good enough? should i remove the hard drive inside?

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Thanks man @itsage, only way i was able to make it work with my mid 2017 15″ was by disabling the resource 1901 x16, so the only AMD card in my system was the VEGA FE, after that the driver was able to identify the VEGA FE and install. I still have some issues with the power, but i’m not sure if the problem is the PSU or the card itself, I have a SFX Silverstone 650W PSU inside the Mantiz Venus and inside i have a 2.5″ hard drive plus 2 USB devices connected (web camera and xbox one wireless dongle). Only way I was able to make it “work” was by undervolting the card in the last 3 states, adjusting fan RPM, temperature target, etc. Do you think the PSU is good enough? should i remove the hard drive inside?

If you undervolted and found stability, it sounds like a PSU issue.

The size of the PSU is not an issue, it's the quality.  Crossloading (putting all the load on the 12V rail) can be very tough for PSUs.  Try the Corsair SFX unit, that's a very good unit.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: irev210
Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

If you undervolted and found stability, it sounds like a PSU issue.

The size of the PSU is not an issue, it's the quality.  Crossloading (putting all the load on the 12V rail) can be very tough for PSUs.  Try the Corsair SFX unit, that's a very good unit.

I think you are right, sorry for the late reply. I reverted the stock 550w FSP PSU, and Geekbench 4 works now, no more shutdowns, haven't try gaming on it yet. But I'm gonna return it and get the Corsair one.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@irev210 @itsage thank you all, I got the Corsair SF600 and the issues went away, it looks like i got a faulty PSU or maybe that PSU wasn't as good/stable with crossloading.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote