VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD error with RTX 3070 and Razer Core X

Notifications
Clear all

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD error with RTX 3070 and Razer Core X  

RSS

James Ball
(@james_ball)

Hi,

I've just been lucky enough to get my hands on an RTX 3070, but have been running into some issues with getting the setup working.

I'm relatively experienced with dealing with eGPU troubleshooting but have hit a brick wall troubleshooting this.

After some painful setup and compatibility issues with the NUC, my eGPU setup was working perfectly with my Intel NUC 10 (NUC10FNH) paired with a GTX 1080ti, but moving over to the 3070, I've had lots of issues. After installing drivers (after removing all Nvidia drivers using DDU) the computer freezes and a BSOD occurs after about 5 seconds (~10 seconds after changing TdrDelay). This repeatedly occurs after a reboot, until I uninstall all drivers again.

The BSOD error is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, with 'what failed: nvlddmkm.sys' (obviously relating to Nvidia drivers)

I also can no longer boot with the eGPU plugged in, and have to hotplug to install drivers (this was not the case yesterday, but I have not changed any BIOS settings).

I am typing this on my XPS 15 9560 which is also connected to the 3070, but much more reliably. I am still getting blue screens though, but these occur maybe once every hour. They also happen with repeated black screens, with perioding screen flashing on (looks like the OS is trying to recover and failing).

Some of the steps I've already tried are:

• Clean driver install with DDU (with internet off)
  • Changing registry graphics driver values, TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay to 10 and 20 respectively
  • Checking Event Viewer after BSOD
    • More advice on checking specific logs would be helpful though
  • Make sure every driver is up to date
    • Including thunderbolt, graphics, and BIOS
  • Install different Nvidia drivers (Studio version)

Some other information mentioned here: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/k1gfp3/getting_this_bsod_when_plugging_in_rtx_3070_into/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

James.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mbliss11
(@mbliss11)
Eminent Member

Have you adjusted power management in the nvidia drivers?  I was getting occasional lockups until I changed my RTX 2060 Super to "Prefer Maximum Performance" on global settings.  After that it has been stable.  Was getting a lot more coil whine in games after doing that so I adjusted the games that gave the coil whine to either adaptive or optimal.  Seems to be driver issue with power delivery for low power games and states (I was getting crashes every time I played Slay the Spire or my screensaver kicked on). 

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Ball
(@james_ball)

@mbliss11, I actually can't get as far as changing control panel settings on my NUC since it blue screens before I can do anything. I am thinking I should try and plug my laptop into mains as well as just charging from the Razer Core X as it could be a power-draw issue as you mention, Will have to try that, but that won't fix the NUC!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sabolo
(@sabolo)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.  Same NUC, Same eGPU and an RTX3070.  After first finding my NUC has a faulty thunderbolt port (long story) and getting a brand new replacement... Did a full install of windows, NUC drivers, NVidia drivers and same blue screen.  I suspect its not your specific hardware as we are both hitting exactly the same.  

ReplyQuote
mbliss11
(@mbliss11)
Eminent Member

Curious if Windows could be the culprit.  Seems more likely to be a driver issue on Nvidia's side however.  Have you seen this recent patch with Thunderbolt SSD's?

https://gizmodo.com/latest-windows-10-patch-fixes-crashing-issue-on-pcs-wit-1845794224

Not sure that you may be able to find older drivers for 30 series cards though since they are so new.  I was lucky enough to snag a 3060ti yesterday and will be picking it up next week.  Will be swapping out my rtx2060 with it and will report if I have any issues with my system (not a NUC though).

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Ball
(@james_ball)

@sabolo, That is very odd but also reassuring that it's clearly not any hardware issues; something I was only 90% sure of before! Have you had any luck with the new drivers that were released yesterday? I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

ReplyQuote
sabolo
(@sabolo)

@james_ball, Sadly no luck with the latest drivers.  Same issue.  Hitting a brick wall here.  All windows updates including optional installed.  Latest drivers for the nuc and nvidia cards.  Clean windows install to start with

ReplyQuote
Sony PSHome
(@sony_pshome)

[SOLVED] Switch that PCI Link State in PCI Express under Power Option to OFF

Note: by default that option is hidden in NUC. Go to (regedit):-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\501a4d13-42af-4429-9fd1-a8218c268e20\ee12f906-d277-404b-b6da-e5fa1a576df5

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
2 = Add

Type 2 to add

This is the only solution for Nvidia GPU to run without nvlddmkm.sys BSOD in NUC

ReplyQuote