Weird Vulkan issue with 2016 15" MBP and Radeon RX 580  

RSS

detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
February 4, 2018 6:15 am  

So I'm using a Sonnet Breakaway Box developer kit with the included Radeon RX 580 under Boot Camp on my 2016 15" MBP with a Radeon Pro 460. For the most part, setup was really easy and worked fantastically! There's just one extremely strange issue I'm having, and it seems to affect any software based on Vulkan.

Basically, Vulkan software works flawlessly windowed, and runs as well as you'd want it to. However, if I try to take any Vulkan game full-screen, I either get a totally black screen, or I get a still image from the game that can't be interacted with. I also can't alt-tab or use a mouse cursor - I have to ctrl+alt+delete to get to a task manager. When I open task manager, I can see Vulkan apps in the background running just fine. It's only when I switch back to them and they take full-screen focus they freeze.

This only happens with my external GPU. If I play Vulkan stuff on my built-in RP460, there's no problem. I have to think there's some eGPU display fuckery going on that's messing with Vulkan. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be fixed, or where to even start?

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, modded with 650W PSU, with Radeon RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
February 13, 2018 11:59 pm  

For anyone wondering, I found one specific setup that worked. It's not ideal or what I want, but hey, I can play Vulkan stuff this way.

Basically: I had to use apple_set_os.efi and integrated.bat to enable the iGPU. I had been keeping the dGPU before, which worked fine for everything but Vulkan stuff (and made it easier to just switch between using the eGPU and not). Then, as long as I have both my laptop display AND my external monitor up, I can play Vulkan stuff accelerated by the eGPU on my external monitor. However, if I close my laptop lid or even decide just to use the external display in Windows, then this problem comes back.

Based on this, if anyone can think of a way I can clamshell mode my laptop and have Vulkan stuff work, I would appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
May 15, 2018 3:26 am  

Bumping this.

I've isolated the problem to V-Sync. In anything Vulkan, if I have V-sync turned on and take a game full-screen, it freezes the system. The only workarounds are to disable V-Sync (which sucks because screen tearing), or to boot using the iGPU on my 15" Pro and have both the internal display and external monitor enabled (but the issue comes back the moment I turn off the internal display/go into clamshell mode/etc.). DirectX and OpenGL stuff works fine.

I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I? Can anyone think of any possible fix?

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
May 15, 2018 11:13 am  

It would be helpful if you listed AMD Graphics Driver version, and the exact version of the OS on your Bootcamp. 
Side note - where will be a new AMD driver posted this week; please do give it a try (usual rules about disconnecting Internet, removing old driver and installing the new driver apply). Note that whatever hack you had to, you will need to use with the new AMD driver too.

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
May 15, 2018 4:18 pm  
Posted by: Sky11

It would be helpful if you listed AMD Graphics Driver version, and the exact version of the OS on your Bootcamp. 
Side note - where will be a new AMD driver posted this week; please do give it a try (usual rules about disconnecting Internet, removing old driver and installing the new driver apply). Note that whatever hack you had to, you will need to use with the new AMD driver too.

This has been happening with every AMD driver version from 18.2.1 to 18.4.1 that I've tried (haven't gone back any further than that), both on Windows 10 1709 and now 1803. I always retest whenever I update to a new driver to see if it's fixed, but it hasn't been yet, haha. I'll definitely keep trying, though. I'd love to play some Doom without screen tearing everywhere.

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
May 24, 2018 6:44 am  

18.5.1 came out today, and... same issue. Actually, it seems to have gotten worse. Now I can't use v-sync in Vulkan apps on my external monitor at all without causing this issue, even if I force the Intel iGPU and keep the internal display lit up. Now the only way I can play Vulkan titles with V-Sync on is on my internal display.

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
August 9, 2018 4:56 am  

Months old bump, I know, but this is still happening with 18.8.1. V-Sync + Vulkan = freezes. I can't be the only one, right?

ReplyQuote