Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 13, 2018 2:21 am  

Windows 1803 is rolling out and there are some significant changes for eGPU. For the most part, Windows users will have finer control of multiple graphics cards. We can now specify which GPU handle apps depending on energy or performance preference. Here's a screen capture of an RX 580 eGPU paired with 2016 15" MacBook Pro (dGPU disabled).

There are some concerns with Bootcamp mode. Through early testings, error 12 is a pesky annoyance that becomes a bigger issue in 1803. This applies to both 2016 and 2017 15" MacBook Pros. I did not have time to test with Nvidia eGPU yet. The only one way to resolve error 12 is to disable PCIe x16 Controller 1901 to the dGPU.

The 13" MacBook Pro can resolve error 12 by connecting the eGPU to left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to the TAB key. In the Touch Bar model, the PCI x2 Root Port #9 [9D18] to the right TB3 ports needs to be disabled. In the non-Touch Bar model, the PCIe x1 Root Port to the iSight camera needs to be disabled.

If you have a functional eGPU in Bootcamp Windows 1803, please share your experience so that we can help other members should issues arise.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 13, 2018 3:26 am  

For MBPs seeing error12 in Windows but do not have a factory 'large memory' area, instead of disabling the PCIe Port, please try @yifanlu's Clover bootloader build (which adds apple_set_os.efi) along with a DSDT override to allow eGPU allocation into 64-bit (> 4GB) space.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/app-clover-with-apple_set_os-efi-built-in/

If this tests out as a good solution we can massage it into a more palatable step-by-step guide with pre-compiled DSDT files for candidate Macs.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
May 13, 2018 8:01 am  

I'm not sure how Windows handling all those settings will improve something instead of leaving it to Nvidia.
Looking at the release notes in the latest drivers every unresolved issue regarding laptops/dual graphics/optimus is described as: "....this setting are operated by Windows and Nvidia has no control over it".But i guess...time will tell.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 13, 2018 8:15 am  

Argh... I'm still on 1709, best I look up how to prevent updates as the last thing I want is error 12 with my Nvidia card!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
May 14, 2018 12:09 am  

Just updated to 1803, mainly because it was harassing me and I had a backup drive image.  Install took about 20 min or so, I did the update with nothing plugged in at all.  First boot with the razer core v2 attached I think it spontaneously rebooted after I logged in.  Next boot was fine but egpu was non functional. 

I went into the Device Manager, all the usb devices plugged in were there and working, including the Core's USB RGB Lighting device, but only Video Card present was AMD Radeon 460 Pro.  I finally found the gtx 1080 under "other devices" as "Video Controller (VGA)" and told it to update drivers, which took a while but worked, then asked for a reboot.  Before rebooting I disabled PCI Root Complex 1905 to ensure the GTX 1080 would have enough resources.  Just did a quick 3dMark test and got the same results as before the update.

Only other oddness is a 453MB partition assigned to drive D: that wasn't there before, I think that is a known issue with 1803 and not Mac-Specific.

I'll report back in this thread if I encounter any other surprises.

ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)
May 18, 2018 3:03 am  

just installed a clean Bootcamp on MacBook Pro 2017 (R-560) with Mantiz Venus w/RX Vega 56 plugged in. The installation went smoothly, eGPU was autodetected, AMD drivers installed by Win10 update.

I got 2 external monitors hooked up through the eGPU, both switched on full resolution (4k). Ran Heaven and Geekbench 4 tests, RX Vega works fine in both tests.

So I guess the issue is now solved - at least new Macs and Radeons work nice together out-of-box, both with macOS and bootcamp Win10

wittmason and RasmusR liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 18, 2018 6:15 am  
Posted by: temkins

just installed a clean Bootcamp on MacBook Pro 2017 (R-560) with Mantiz Venus w/RX Vega 56 plugged in. The installation went smoothly, eGPU was autodetected, AMD drivers installed by Win10 update.

I got 2 external monitors hooked up through the eGPU, both switched on full resolution (4k). Ran Heaven and Geekbench 4 tests, RX Vega works fine in both tests.

So I guess the issue is now solved - at least new Macs and Radeons work nice together out-of-box, both with macOS and bootcamp Win10

I believe it’s only the 15inch models sadly for me. From what I’ve read it’s related to the firmware which was updated on the Mac side rather than anything windows related. I’d love to be using my AMD card but it just doesn’t play nice with windows.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member
May 18, 2018 6:16 am  

Hi, just installed update 1803 to my MacBookPro 13 Late 2016 (with touch bar) everything ok! The only issue that I have is when I shutdown Windows 10 and restart the system in MacOS (10.13.5 beta 4), the first time MacOS hangs at login screen, it needs a second reboot.

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 18, 2018 9:25 am  
Posted by: jefniro

Hi, just installed update 1803 to my MacBookPro 13 Late 2016 (with touch bar) everything ok! The only issue that I have is when I shutdown Windows 10 and restart the system in MacOS (10.13.5 beta 4), the first time MacOS hangs at login screen, it needs a second reboot.

You gotta be kidding me? Don’t tell me the 13s work now too or are you using rEFInd or another fix?

edit: just seen your build guide. Not plug and play then. 

---

ReplyQuote
RasmusR
(@rasmusr)
May 18, 2018 6:56 pm  
Posted by: temkins

Thanks for the info - looking for an easy solution for a 15” MBP 2017, and looking at XG Station Pro with a Vega 56 or RX 560. Care to write up your experiences regarding installation, eGPU acceleration etc?

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member
May 18, 2018 8:57 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

You gotta be kidding me? Don’t tell me the 13s work now too or are you using rEFInd or another fix?

No plug and play in Windows!

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 19, 2018 7:00 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

No plug and play in Windows!

But I am assuming you haven't undone all the steps in your original guide so still have DDST over ride thing and are booting with rEFInd/apple_set_os? It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

---

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member
May 19, 2018 11:52 am  

It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

Exactly! I have upgraded my Windows, not fresh install.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 19, 2018 6:51 pm  

It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

Exactly! I have upgraded my Windows, not fresh install.

So, you’re still using all the things you had to use, such as apple_set_os or whatever. So not plug and play...

---

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
May 20, 2018 5:33 am  

My 1803 setup on my 2016 15" Pro is pretty much identical to what it was before. bootcampdrivers.com drivers for the Radeon Pro 460, Sonnet eGFX box plugged into the back-right port, manually installing the RX 580 driver in Device Manager, and disabling the left-side TB3 ports (1905) to get around error 12.

The RP460 drivers don't like this setup very much and like to crash, but at least I still get a usable internal display if I need to boot without my eGPU and don't have to deal with apple_set_efi foolery and integrated/dedicated.bat switching and rEFIt etc. It's the most hassle-free setup I've found for my primary use case of "gaming in Windows in clamshell mode with an external display."

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 with Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 22, 2018 8:00 pm  

Has anyone tried W10 1803 with a TI82 USB-C controller enclosure? I needed to use the original Core over the weekend and there was absolutely no detection in Windows 1803 with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I will check with the Toshiba laptop later today.

ReplyQuote
wittmason
(@wittmason)
May 23, 2018 1:10 pm  

I did many things many times so I am not sure this is the exact sequence but here goes ...

I finally managed to get my normal bootcamp install on Mantiz Venus, Sapphire Radeon Rx 580, and 2017 Macbook Pro 15" all to play well together.
I tried DDU several times and that led to the black screen and no UI. Everytime I tried to install the non windows update version of the Radeon Drivers it would say components already installed. I was in some kind of weird limbo. I couldn't remove the drivers because the UI would black out. I couldn't install new drivers because it said Apple had already done that. Time to try something new.

After the failed DDU I reverted back to when my eGPU was recognized by Win 10 and had all the various drivers installed successfully (except graphics drivers). I went into the device manager and deleted the monitor that had the yellow caution beside it. I went to windows update and there was RX580 software waiting to be installed (I may have plugged in and out the eGPU a few times). I installed it. Restarted I had a crash on the next launch, Windows tried to repair itself. Then on the next boot I had both Mac laptop screen and 34" ultrawide recognized at startup.

I am connected to the right TB3 port closest to me and I am not using rEFInd it or the apple_set_efi scripts.

So the Windows side seems to be closer to plug and play than it used to? Not without headaches. I am not a "windows" guy so alot of the troubleshooting was new to me. I started in Safe Mode a few times during the process and I restored back to a working version maybe 5 times.

I hope this helps someone.

ReplyQuote
Robert Avram
(@robert_avram)
May 23, 2018 4:12 pm  

Build 1803 works as plug and play here on a fresh install. See my other post on how I achieved it.

ReplyQuote
ddqp
 ddqp
(@ddqp)
Eminent Member
May 24, 2018 1:21 am  

I just updated 1803 with MBP 2016 touchbar.

with EGPU pluged, MBP can boot into Windows without any problem, but internal screen only shows Win logo, it's fine, I don't use internal screen for gaming.

Late Macbook Pro 2016 13' touch bar + AKITIO node + GTX 1050TI 4G Windows

ReplyQuote
hulk_0329
(@hulk_0329)
May 24, 2018 4:14 am  

Today I returned my Vega 64 and got the 1080 Ti. Did a new boot camp install and everything just work! I can have my dGPU and eGPU working at the same time. However it was not the case with AMD Vega 64. Of course I did ran the script for OS X.

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 24, 2018 8:00 am  

Updated, against my better judgement... egpu looks to be working fine but something is up TB3 wise as my speakers, mic and USB ports on my LG 5K are not recognised - I get a picture but nothing else. Trouble shooting this is going to be a long boring task...

Update: Windows self downgrade feature worked a treat, back with all things functioning... 

---

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
marcjoe
(@marcjoe)
May 24, 2018 1:00 pm  

I was almost also freaking out....

After I managed to install the spring update with the update tool (normal update wouldn't succeed) I discovered today that the system wouldn't recognize the egpu anymore, no matter what I did. It either ran into a bsod or just didn't show the egpu in device manager anymore. 

What helped me was using DDU in safe mode.  After a restart the egpu was recognized, I could do a fresh install of NVIDIA drivers et voila, it's working again without any help of dsdt override or apple_set_efi.

my system is a MacBook Pro 13 2016 Touchbar with Sonnet 350 and NVIDIA GTX970 4GB.

Edit: one other weird effect of the update: my Xbox controller is recognized by steam but behaves only weird and can't be used it in games anymore via Bluetooth. USB works fine. Any ideas anyone?

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@allie_b)
May 24, 2018 1:51 pm  

I've updated a few days ago and no problems what so ever. 

To be honest I would even go so far and say performance on my egpu has somehow improved a little bit, less stuttering and slowdown than what I used to get.

My internal screen work with the script, Also no problems with my two external screens.
The only problem is still 100% cpu 1 core utilization which is down to the intel driver. a Quick fix for this is to hibernate your system and then just reboot again with the script and cpu usage of core 1 will drop straight down to 0%

Macbook Pro Mid 2014 (Iris Pro only) + Sonnet TB3 Breakaway-box 350w + Apple TB3 -> TB2 Converter + MSI 1070ti + Samsung U28E590D 4K

ReplyQuote
syphus
(@syphus)
May 24, 2018 2:12 pm  

I have a pre touch bar MBP (2015) and my eGPU has stopped working. I either get 43 or 12. I have no idea how to fix this and everything I find is always referring to newer MacBook pros. Can anyone offer any advice?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 24, 2018 2:15 pm  

We're trying to put a finger on what have changed in 1803. The reports on eGPU success/failure are all over the places. When you share your experience please include the specs of your setup, Intel iGPU driver versions and AMD/Nvidia driver versions. Apple doesn't actively support Bootcamp but there are good folks from AMD & Nvidia looking into this.

fizzlewizzle liked
ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member
May 25, 2018 6:30 am  

This is why I am still on Windows 10 build 1703 - lol.  

Also - the windows update that could break my eGPU setup is forcing me back to an all windows computer.  I plan to get the new Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 shortly.  I hope it plays well with external GPU!  I think it will at least with external monitors, but I haven't seen anyone here report success yet.  Notebookcheck tested it but said they couldn't get the internal display to be driven by the eGPU.  

Ok, I know off topic...but the fact windows updates have a high probability of breaking my 2016 Macbook Pro 13 w/TB is frustrating.  It works fine on Windows 1703 and I used the settings to defer updates for over a year.

ReplyQuote
fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)
May 25, 2018 11:06 am  

I tried to update to 1803 through Windows Update in my 2016 15in MBP with a Vega 56 running the 17.6 drivers from AMD (not modded). It got hung up on restart. It’ll have the blue Windows logo and spin for about 10 seconds on start up and go black. Im using the Mantiz Venus chassis with 1905 disabled in Device Manager.  

I held shift and the power button. Got into safe mode and went back to 1706.

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Tailslide
(@tailslide)
June 7, 2018 2:59 pm  

I have a MacBook pro 15" 2016 with touchbar.   I got a complete black screen on both internal and external displays after update.  Even booting the MacBook on it's own I couldn't get anything to display.. so I made a windows recovery bootdisk, changed the boot method so I could hold a key to drop into recovery mode and rolled back the update.

I tried updating again a second time and I was able to get it to boot by booting unplugged with the option key down, then plugging in the Mantiz after I got the boot selection screen.   I think if I were to disable the DGPU it would probably work OK but I don't really want to do that or the option key workaround so I rolled back to the old version of windows again.

Is this just a problem with the Mantiz Venus or with every eGPU... for example if I were to sell this box and buy one of the new razor ones would it have the exact same issue?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 7, 2018 3:49 pm  

@tailslide The issues are definitely not with any particular Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure. They all share very similar core components (USB controller, Thunderbolt 3 controller, and EEPROM). I think the root of the problem is W10 1803 changing the way it allocates resources to devices.

fizzlewizzle liked
ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
June 7, 2018 4:00 pm  

I would strongly suggest that you guys perform the upgrade without the egpu plugged in (or any other peripherals other than the factory power adapter).  When I installed 1803 I did it without anything attached. I plugged in the egpu after the update had fully completed and basically had to set it up like brand new and reinstall drivers/disable pcie root complex, but I didn't encounter any issues after this.

ReplyQuote
fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)
June 7, 2018 4:17 pm  

I will add that I didn't have the eGPU plugged in. Only had it on my power supply, nothing else. But, I did have 1905 disabled in the Device Manager and had my issues. Do you think that would need to be re-enabled prior to the update?

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
June 7, 2018 6:01 pm  

Pretty sure it would have re-enabled the pcie root complex during the update  I didn't reenable mine before installing 1803, but I'm using an nvidia card which has less driver conflict issues.  How did you get the AMD drivers installed with the dGPU still active?  If the egpu were running different driver revisions during the upgrade maybe that caused an issue?  Did it hang on restart without ever having plugged the egpu in, post update?

ReplyQuote
sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)
June 17, 2018 2:09 am  

I was successful and I can share my experiences, but unfortunately I can't turn my experiences into a very useful guide.

In the end, the monitor hooked up to the eGPU will work but the MacBook Pro 2017's integrated monitor will not work. In addition, I had to disable the PCIe Bus that the integrated Radeon Pro 580 was on in order to free up space for the eGPU.

I did not have to do this prior to 1803 but then again I did not have to install extra drivers or use DDU or a special bootcamp AMD software. I'll try and give a high level summary of what I did. Note, I used some of the information found here as well.

1. Update macOS to the latest version (Might be 10.13.xxx+)
2. Install the Spring Update 1803 by either using the "Windows Update" feature or by downloading the .ISO from the Microsoft website. (I used it when installing bootcamp instead of the windows update so I don't have to go through the long update process which may or may not fail for some reason or another).
3. Download the latest version of the AMD drivers currently 18.6.1
4. Plug in your eGPU into the TB3 port on ur Mac. If it's a MBP try the right hand side ports first.
     a. It may help that you don't have ANY thing else plugged into your TB3 ports at least for now.
5.Install the AMD drivers. If it says it can't find any AMD hardware or otherwise give you an error, don't use the setup file and instead go to device manager, locate the device which may say "Microsoft Basic Adapter". If you don't see it try using the "Scan for New Hardware" option in device manager. Then, when you do the "Update Driver" button manually navigate to where the AMD drivers were extracted.
    a. Afterwards the eGPU should (may) be installed. 
    b. I ran into an issue where nothing was displayed on the screen except black. I almost gave up on it when my         second monitor plugged into the eGPU came to life. This pleasantly surprised me. 
6. At this point make sure that the PCIe bus that the dGPU is on, is disabled.
     a. In device manager, click on View - > Devices By Connection, then navigate down the tree to "PCI Bus" and the one you're looking for may say "...PCIe controller (x16) - 1901". Disable this one.

Ok I'm going to stop listing steps because the further I go the less sure I am this will work for anyone. I came across many problems along the way. If I were to reinstall my PC again I'm not sure I could get it to work once more, at least not without a headache. There were moments when I completely reinstalled bootcamp, maybe 5+ times. That was because I could not get into the Windows Bootcamp OS due to the black screen, but that was before I saw this thread.

My only hope is this. Microsoft and Apple continue to make improvements to bootcamp to one day make eGPU usage seamless. I also hope that this post helps someone even a little bit.

Cheer!

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Eminent Member
June 20, 2018 8:36 pm  

I recently updated to build 1803, which was a mistake. I've used the Clover method to make the eGPU work. The old drivers didn't work anymore. I installed newer drivers through bootcampdrivers.com, and it seems like the drivers are not showing any errors (no error 43), but my laptop monitor does not want to turn on. I've tried multiple reboots. Sometimes the external monitor goes on, most of the time both monitors show black. When the external monitor goes on, my laptop monitor is off.

Does anybody know the solution to this? Reinstall the drivers perhaps?

ReplyQuote
TheNikso
(@thenikso)
June 21, 2018 12:42 pm  

I was quite perplexed when my newly arrived Razer Core X bricked my Win10 external disk installation on my MBP late 2016 the other day.
I had to re-install twice for the black screen.

@sabrefoxx what exactly prevented you to get another black screen? I am tempted to try your list but going to have to reinstall again is holding me back.

Thank you all for the informations anyway!

ReplyQuote
Jared
(@jared_busch)
Eminent Member
June 22, 2018 9:25 pm  

@sabrefoxx In step 5, I sure would love to know how you gained access to the "extracted drivers".

The only way I've ever been able to get AMD drivers is through the setup.exe file. If the setup.exe fails, it doesn't extract anything as far as I can tell.

So how do I go about getting the drivers from a setup.exe? I can't find anywhere on AMD's site where to download just the drivers and nothing else.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next