Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)
June 22, 2018 11:44 pm  

@TheNikso Unfortunately I can't say exactly what stopped it from simply showing a black screen like it did in the prior half dozen attempts at getting it to work. When my external monitor (An Lg TV) came to life I was surprised, then even more surprised it did not flicker back to black again. I'm certain that if I reinstall bootcamp once more I'm going to have hell trying to get it to work again. It was all trial and error.

I was using an AMD Radeon Vega 56 with my MBP 2017 15'' with touch bar. I really wish I could give a concrete guide on how to get it to work. I just hope that Apple and Microsoft improve bootcamp further.

@jared_busch So when you first download the official AMD drivers it might come in an exe file first. When you run the exe file it will usually extract the contents of that exe to a folder like "C:\AMD\'TheDriversFolder'" This is the location where you can manually point to the drivers for the install of the eGPU. It should also contain the setup file. I don't know what your card or MBP rig is like so maybe the files required are different than mines. If the setup file you mentioned has any other folders, point to the folder the setup file is in and let it search all the subfolders. Hopefully it will find the drivers.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
Hyu
 Hyu
(@hyu)
June 24, 2018 4:03 pm  

I will throw my own experience here.. 

So, I have been observing few things last week or so, Apple has modified 10.13.6 and 10.14 efi/bootrom to point that refind and usb stick boot won't no longer work to enable iGPU, but does it really matter anymore? 

Now, with my two test lab machines 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro 15", I noticed that its no longer required to remove built-in amd drivers with DDU, its going to stay as "default gpu" to windows.

Leave AMD drivers as it is and disable 1905 from device manager, reboot with nvidia egpu plugged in, install nvidia drivers and everything works out of the box. Even hot plugging. I have to manually select apps where I want to use my EGPU, everything else goes to built-in AMD gpu. 

There seems to be slight performance drop but.. It looks like we don't have to mess with efi and other scripts? Now everything just works? I still don't quite believe it that it worked this easily.. 

Note: my 2016 MBP Machine was upgraded Windows 10 to 1803, it had multiple problems, when I did clean 1803 install with official iso, all the problems disappeared.

Tested with Razer Core X/1080 and Razer Core v2/Titan X
Macbook Pro 2016 & 2017 15"

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
(@youngz4s)
June 25, 2018 9:45 pm  

@Ningauble77
I encountered the driver conflict issue with my MBP 2017 15" with Vega 56 in Win10Pro 1803 bootcamp. I can only use either iGPU or eGPU. The other one will be shown as stopped in Device manager. The eGPU was able to work without problem. The iGPU needs to be enabled before disconnecting eGPU. Otherwise it will be a black screen.

I roll back to 1709.

ReplyQuote
moltentofu
(@moltentofu)
July 13, 2018 5:59 pm  

I had a lot of trouble at first with my attempts, but then did a clean install of 1803 and followed Hyu's instructions and it worked the first try (almost 🙂 ).

Leave AMD drivers as it is and disable 1905 from device manager, reboot with nvidia egpu plugged in, install nvidia drivers and everything works out of the box. Even hot plugging. I have to manually select apps where I want to use my EGPU, everything else goes to built-in AMD gpu. 

Extra details:
1) Do a clean install of windows - Windows Reset works fine (hold shift+click Restart to get menu)! Tons of weird random crap before I did this (like hang on disabling 1905 etc)
2) Didn't bother to install any of the Mac bootcamp drivers - just whatever vanilla windows came with.
3) One random reboot during installing Nvidia drivers (using latest from nvidia.com) - after reboot tried again and worked

Setup:
2017 MB Pro 15in w/Touchbar
Akitio Node w/MSI 1070
Driving internal display only

Final note I have this crazy extra feature in my Windows start bar now next to the nvidia quick launch icon - it appears to show me all the applications being driven by the 1070??? Perhaps the latest Nvidia drivers areactively including even more support for eGPU…?

ReplyQuote
fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)
July 18, 2018 9:57 pm  

I attempted again with the 1803 update. This time, I only had the power plugged in and all of the devices enabled in Device Manager. I previously installed it with the eGPU plugged in on the top right port and running with 1905 disabled on my 2016 15in MacBook and got a black screen after a few seconds of booting up with the blue Windows logo and spinning. While it was successfully installed and I got to the desktop initially, I experienced the same issues after I disabled 1905 again and plugged in the eGPU. It doesn't matter if I had nothing plugged in after I attempted to install the eGPU, it still hung up on the blue Windows logo at the same time.

I'm calling it quits for now. I'm can't afford to go down again on my main rig. I went back to 1709.

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
August 19, 2018 11:26 am  

Windows auto updates are cheeky aren't they? Went from 1709 to 1803 without being asked and oh boy it was a load of hassle again. LG 5K wasnt working, egpu not detected, total shit show.

Slowly worked my way through the problems, reboots got the screen back but kept getting BSOD when i tried to update my Nvidia drivers. Had to run DDU to remove all drivers  and then the egpu was detected and I downloaded and installed fresh drivers, all working again than god.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 19, 2018 1:19 pm  

Windows updates are never fun. I'm glad you're able to sort it all out. Is AMD eGPU still causing no output on the Ultrafine?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
August 19, 2018 3:26 pm  

Sadly yes... I wish I could work it out... something to do with band width limiting in rEFInd and Apple-set-os, possibly, but I have no clue. 

I also spoke too soon, having a few issues with peripherals plugged into the monitor, not sure this 1803 build is as solid as 1709. 

Toying with the the idea of selling the monitor, it’s beautiful but the root of most my issues. With a normal 4K screen I bet I’d get AMD cards working.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@keith_walls)
Eminent Member
August 20, 2018 1:39 pm  

Happy to report nVidia eGPU works fine with iMac Pro running the current version of Windows 10 (Build 17134.165)
It took a workaround to get the drivers to install, but it is all working. Can even boot into Windows with eGPU attached. Now if Apple would just get their act together on the MacOS side....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev