Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acce...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acceleration feature  

of  7
  RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet
Posted by: jefniro

Hi, just installed update 1803 to my MacBookPro 13 Late 2016 (with touch bar) everything ok! The only issue that I have is when I shutdown Windows 10 and restart the system in MacOS (10.13.5 beta 4), the first time MacOS hangs at login screen, it needs a second reboot.

You gotta be kidding me? Don’t tell me the 13s work now too or are you using rEFInd or another fix?

edit: just seen your build guide. Not plug and play then. 

No plug and play in Windows!

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Hi, just installed update 1803 to my MacBookPro 13 Late 2016 (with touch bar) everything ok! The only issue that I have is when I shutdown Windows 10 and restart the system in MacOS (10.13.5 beta 4), the first time MacOS hangs at login screen, it needs a second reboot.

You gotta be kidding me? Don’t tell me the 13s work now too or are you using rEFInd or another fix?

edit: just seen your build guide. Not plug and play then. 

No plug and play in Windows!

But I am assuming you haven't undone all the steps in your original guide so still have DDST over ride thing and are booting with rEFInd/apple_set_os? It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

Exactly! I have upgraded my Windows, not fresh install.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

It was an upgrade rather than a fresh instal so the parts of the original set up are still in place?

Exactly! I have upgraded my Windows, not fresh install.

So, you’re still using all the things you had to use, such as apple_set_os or whatever. So not plug and play...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member

My 1803 setup on my 2016 15" Pro is pretty much identical to what it was before. bootcampdrivers.com drivers for the Radeon Pro 460, Sonnet eGFX box plugged into the back-right port, manually installing the RX 580 driver in Device Manager, and disabling the left-side TB3 ports (1905) to get around error 12.

The RP460 drivers don't like this setup very much and like to crash, but at least I still get a usable internal display if I need to boot without my eGPU and don't have to deal with apple_set_efi foolery and integrated/dedicated.bat switching and rEFIt etc. It's the most hassle-free setup I've found for my primary use case of "gaming in Windows in clamshell mode with an external display."

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, modded with 650W PSU, with Radeon RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Has anyone tried W10 1803 with a TI82 USB-C controller enclosure? I needed to use the original Core over the weekend and there was absolutely no detection in Windows 1803 with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I will check with the Toshiba laptop later today.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wittmason
(@wittmason)

I did many things many times so I am not sure this is the exact sequence but here goes ...

I finally managed to get my normal bootcamp install on Mantiz Venus, Sapphire Radeon Rx 580, and 2017 Macbook Pro 15" all to play well together.
I tried DDU several times and that led to the black screen and no UI. Everytime I tried to install the non windows update version of the Radeon Drivers it would say components already installed. I was in some kind of weird limbo. I couldn't remove the drivers because the UI would black out. I couldn't install new drivers because it said Apple had already done that. Time to try something new.

After the failed DDU I reverted back to when my eGPU was recognized by Win 10 and had all the various drivers installed successfully (except graphics drivers). I went into the device manager and deleted the monitor that had the yellow caution beside it. I went to windows update and there was RX580 software waiting to be installed (I may have plugged in and out the eGPU a few times). I installed it. Restarted I had a crash on the next launch, Windows tried to repair itself. Then on the next boot I had both Mac laptop screen and 34" ultrawide recognized at startup.

I am connected to the right TB3 port closest to me and I am not using rEFInd it or the apple_set_efi scripts.

So the Windows side seems to be closer to plug and play than it used to? Not without headaches. I am not a "windows" guy so alot of the troubleshooting was new to me. I started in Safe Mode a few times during the process and I restored back to a working version maybe 5 times.

I hope this helps someone.

2019 MacBook Pro 16" + Mantiz Venus + RX 580

ReplyQuote
Robert Avram
(@robert_avram)

Build 1803 works as plug and play here on a fresh install. See my other post on how I achieved it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ddqp
 ddqp
(@ddqp)
Eminent Member

I just updated 1803 with MBP 2016 touchbar.

with EGPU pluged, MBP can boot into Windows without any problem, but internal screen only shows Win logo, it's fine, I don't use internal screen for gaming.

Late Macbook Pro 2016 13' touch bar + AKITIO node + GTX 1050TI 4G Windows

ReplyQuote
hulk_0329
(@hulk_0329)

Today I returned my Vega 64 and got the 1080 Ti. Did a new boot camp install and everything just work! I can have my dGPU and eGPU working at the same time. However it was not the case with AMD Vega 64. Of course I did ran the script for OS X.

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  7