[Windows, Linux] GPU recognized, not working. Windows - code 47, no signal. Linu...

Notifications
Clear all

[Windows, Linux] GPU recognized, not working. Windows - code 47, no signal. Linux - no signal with Nvidia drivers, but yes with Nouveau  

RSS

Ibrahim Hadzic
(@ibrahim_hadzic)

Setup:

Windows:

• When booted with the eGPU plugged in, the GPU is shown in the Device Manager, but with the message "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)"
  • When unplugged and plugged again, it appears without the code 47. Still no signal. After clicking "Scan for hardware changes" in the Device Manager, the GPU disappears
  • Nvidia Control Panel does not open at all (tried restarting the services)
  • Tried few different Nvidia drivers, from the newest till the oldest available.
  • Latest thunderbolt firmware is installed.

Linux:

• Booting with the eGPU connected and with Nouveau drivers enabled detects the GPU successfully and outputs the signal to the exernal monitor connected through HDMI. (Dismisses possibility that GPU or enclosure is faulty?)
  • Tried different Nvidia drivers, of which none worked. When Nvidia drivers are installed (and the eGPU is set up using egpu-switcher), booting with the eGPU connected gets stuck at the Ubuntu loading screen. 
  • System booted without the eGPU - when plugging in the GPU, nothing happens (probably expected), and when I try to run `nvidia-smi`, the GPU's Geforce GTX light flickers for a second, as if it were turn on and off very quickly. Same happens when trying to open Nvidia X Server, which never gets opened.

I suspect that it might be an issue with the cable (getting new one tomorrow, will update) or the PSU (?). Does anyone have an idea about what could be causing the problem? Thanks!

This topic was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ibrahim Hadzic
(@ibrahim_hadzic)

New cable didn't resolve the issue. Will try replacing the PSU. Also, asked the same question on reddit.

PSU neither - Anyone has an idea around here? Has anyone had such issues with Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 6?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Obed Vazquez Lopez
(@obed_vazquez_lopez)

@ibrahim_hadzic
I have the exact same behavior.

It seems that my HP laptop will recognize Razer Core X with my Nvidia 1650 for just a second and then virtually extract the card, but if you boot the system the warning will show up telling you about the problem and if you just unplug-replug the eGPU (or restart it) it will not give the SO to recognize the error but it will detect the connection for a second and will try to install the driver but it won't finish.

ReplyQuote