Windows won't boot on Mac mini 2018 with only egpu attached after upgrading Cata...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows won't boot on Mac mini 2018 with only egpu attached after upgrading Catalina 10.15.2  

of  2
  RSS

Yuanming Wang
(@yuanming_wang)

After upgrading to Catalina 10.15.2, Windows shows error 12 with my RX5700.

The strange thing is if I attach both usb-c to dp port and egpu to the Mac Mini, use the source from the dp port and boot into Windows, then switch to the source to the egpu, it worked just fine.

My Windows 10 version is 18362.295

Any one have the same problem?

This topic was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Djelibeybi
(@djelibeybi)

I can't boot into either macOS or Windows with just my eGPU connected since upgrading to 10.15.2 last night. It's annoying as hell.

Ordered: 2018 Mac mini with Razer Core X Chroma and Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB

ReplyQuote
Yang LI
(@yang_li_1)

after upgrade occasionally stuck on login screen on MacOS (abt 20%)

bootcamp is fine as usual, .295 Win10

This post was modified 8 months ago

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There's something wonky with headless Macs + eGPU in 10.15.2. My 2013 Mac Pro doesn't boot up as consistently with the eGPU compared to previous versions.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@yuanming_wang

Hello, how did you even get the eGPU working under Windows?

I tried to install Win 1909 under BootCamp and bootet into Windows, after that i turned eGPU on, it will be recognized but after AMD driver installation and restart, Win does not recognize the eGPU (ON during boot). I have not installed one of those EFI or KEXT "hacks" since I have read that some people stated there is no need for this complicated procedure?

So what is the right procedure to make the eGPU work under Windows 10 on a Mac mini 2018?
Thanks in advance!

Mac mini (2018) 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
vegan
(@vegan)

Same here. I'm unable to boot into MacOS 10.15.2 with only eGPU connected to my mac mini 2018. I see black screen of death. Tried resetting PRAM but it didn't help.

My build 1: Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64
My build 2: early-2015 13'' MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core X via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.14&Win10

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@vegan

Apple really needs to add eGPU support to Bootcamp 🙂 That would make it so much easer for us enthusiasts!

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Yuanming Wang
(@yuanming_wang)

@markus2801a

Make sure your display connect directly to Mac mini (source 1) and the egpu (source 2) at the same time. Then power on Mac mini using source 1, the windows will boot but the screen is black, but you can heard the notification sound, then switch to source 2, the egpu will work just fine.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@yuanming_wang

thanks, I will do a fresh install of windows 1909 via Bootcamp!
Is it important to have the eGPU switched on during BootCamp Setup to?
May you can provide details step by step instructions on how you installed Windows and made your eGPU work? Did you have to do something with those KEXT or UEFI hakcs in order to make it work?
eGPU connects on the Thunderbolt Connector right next to the HDMI connector on my mac mini. I read some peaple say its better to use the one next to the LAN port, others say next to the HDMI does also work? So I'am confused!

Or is it OK if I install Windows via BootCamp, boot into Windows, install driver, restart and follow the steps you provided above?

Kind reagards!

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Yuanming Wang
(@yuanming_wang)

@markus2801a

It it crutial that you install the Windows 10 Version 18362.295 if you're using AMD cards.

No other hacks needed, at least in Catalina 10.15.1

ReplyQuote
 of  2