Windows won't boot on Mac mini 2018 with only egpu attached after upgrading Cata...

Windows won't boot on Mac mini 2018 with only egpu attached after upgrading Catalina 10.15.2  

RSS

(@yuanming_wang)

After upgrading to Catalina 10.15.2, Windows shows error 12 with my RX5700.

The strange thing is if I attach both usb-c to dp port and egpu to the Mac Mini, use the source from the dp port and boot into Windows, then switch to the source to the egpu, it worked just fine.

My Windows 10 version is 18362.295

Any one have the same problem?

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Djelibeybi
(@djelibeybi)

I can't boot into either macOS or Windows with just my eGPU connected since upgrading to 10.15.2 last night. It's annoying as hell.

Ordered: 2018 Mac mini with Razer Core X Chroma and Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB

ReplyQuote
(@yang_li_1)

after upgrade occasionally stuck on login screen on MacOS (abt 20%)

bootcamp is fine as usual, .295 Win10

This post was modified 1 month ago

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There’s something wonky with headless Macs + eGPU in 10.15.2. My 2013 Mac Pro doesn’t boot up as consistently with the eGPU compared to previous versions.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@yuanming_wang

Hello, how did you even get the eGPU working under Windows?

I tried to install Win 1909 under BootCamp and bootet into Windows, after that i turned eGPU on, it will be recognized but after AMD driver installation and restart, Win does not recognize the eGPU (ON during boot). I have not installed one of those EFI or KEXT "hacks" since I have read that some people stated there is no need for this complicated procedure?

So what is the right procedure to make the eGPU work under Windows 10 on a Mac mini 2018?
Thanks in advance!

Mac mini (2018) 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
vegan
(@vegan)

Same here. I'm unable to boot into MacOS 10.15.2 with only eGPU connected to my mac mini 2018. I see black screen of death. Tried resetting PRAM but it didn't help.

My build 1: Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64
My build 2: early-2015 13'' MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core X via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.14&Win10

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@vegan

Apple really needs to add eGPU support to Bootcamp 🙂 That would make it so much easer for us enthusiasts!

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@yuanming_wang)

@markus2801a

Make sure your display connect directly to Mac mini (source 1) and the egpu (source 2) at the same time. Then power on Mac mini using source 1, the windows will boot but the screen is black, but you can heard the notification sound, then switch to source 2, the egpu will work just fine.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@yuanming_wang

thanks, I will do a fresh install of windows 1909 via Bootcamp!
Is it important to have the eGPU switched on during BootCamp Setup to?
May you can provide details step by step instructions on how you installed Windows and made your eGPU work? Did you have to do something with those KEXT or UEFI hakcs in order to make it work?
eGPU connects on the Thunderbolt Connector right next to the HDMI connector on my mac mini. I read some peaple say its better to use the one next to the LAN port, others say next to the HDMI does also work? So I'am confused!

Or is it OK if I install Windows via BootCamp, boot into Windows, install driver, restart and follow the steps you provided above?

Kind reagards!

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@yuanming_wang)

@markus2801a

It it crutial that you install the Windows 10 Version 18362.295 if you're using AMD cards.

No other hacks needed, at least in Catalina 10.15.1

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

@markus2801a Follow this guide: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/  You have to use an older version of Win10, as something broke AMD support a few months ago, and not just in BootCamp.

@vegan Well, I’m not exactly happy to find that it’s not just me, but this hopefully means that Apple will fix whatever they broke in 10.15.2. 

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

@rnb2

Thanks tried it with the 1903Build but also no luck! AMD Setup doesn't even detect Graphics Card it only shows as "Generic device".

Installing the driver manually by selecting folder path of extracted AMD driver works, after that it shows up as 5700Xt but after reboot with eGPU ON, its gone.
Switching eGPU off and on again, it shows up, but no Image via DP Cable thru the eGPU only via USB-C directly from mac mini to Display works,

Seems to be also an issue with the latest Catalina 10.15.2 update?!

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

I've just done some experimenting with my setup, and what I've found is that I can boot with both the eGPU and HDMI direct to the mini connected - this allows me to see the boot process via the HDMI input, then switch to the eGPU to log in on the Mac side. Unfortunately, I have to unplug HDMI to actually use the Mac, as the two display adapters confuse my Wacom tablet.

I can plug HDMI back in just before I restart, and can get to the Option key boot menu during boot to get to Windows, but I have to unplug the HDMI cable in order to log in, as the two display signals coming into my BenQ monitor confuses things and I can't seem to use the hardware buttons to choose which input to use, and the login doesn't show up via the HDMI connection.

Basically, I've found that I don't have to completely shut down to switch between Mac and Windows, though having both HDMI on the mini and DP from the eGPU plugged in at the same time causes issues with both operating systems that are solved by unplugging HDMI. Far from ideal, but at least I know exactly what dance I need to do to boot into each OS successfully.

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)
Eminent Member

This is what works 100% reliably for me on a Mac mini 2018, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua fan) and PowerColor Red Dragon 5700 XT, using macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and Windows 10 Pro 1809.

I do not have to switch to another source ever, I can exclusively use the eGPU output. Cold booting and warm booting work for both macOS and Windows from the eGPU. No black screens.

What is key is that you disable Filevault. Filevault uses a pre-boot environment which cannot seem to reliably handle eGPUs. Sure, you compromise on security but it gives you a working solution.

I have a Dell 3006WFP with 1 DP and 2 DVI. I use the following USB-C dongle to connect to DVI1 and a DP cable from the eGPU. My guess is that this also works fine using the mini's HDMI.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QKM856C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Leave both cables plugged in at all times and use eGPU display out exclusively at all times.

In Windows you can only install the latest 2019 Adrenalin drivers from AMD as the new 2020 drivers won't install.

Ensure that you select 'Show only on 2' (it may be 1 in your case) under 'Multiple Displays' in display settings as you don't want dual monitor output, you just want to use the eGPU.

In macOS go to display settings and use extended displays but move the display you don't want to use (Intel GPU's) to the top right corner. That way if you move your cursor over there it won't disappear off the screen.

This works folks. It took me all day to figure out but it is reliable.

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN) + PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB, TEKQ Rapide TB3 1TB SSD, macOS Catalina, Win10 Pro
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @squuiid

What is key is that you disable Filevault. Filevault uses a pre-boot environment which cannot seem to reliably handle eGPUs. Sure, you compromise on security but it gives you a working solution.

Thanks for your detailed answer! I will try it!

Or has anybody already tried and can confirm that its working?

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

@squuiid

Thanks for this - it almost works for me, and gets close enough for now.

I don't have DVI on my display, only USB-C, HDMI x2, and DP (to my eGPU). With HDMI connected to the mini, I was able to try your idea of moving that screen to the top-right, and that worked, but then I decided to try mirroring instead, and that also works. The only thing that doesn't work for me is getting into Windows without changing connection on my display, since the Option boot menu doesn't show up via the eGPU, only HDMI - I just switch over to pick my Windows drive, then switch back to DP. In Windows, setting the eGPU to be the only display also works.

Squuiid liked
ReplyQuote
(@yang_li_1)

Posted by: @itsage

There's something wonky with headless Macs + eGPU in 10.15.2. My 2013 Mac Pro doesn't boot up as consistently with the eGPU compared to previous versions.

My MBP 15 2019 also getting problematic with egpu connect on boot, was 100% ok on 10.15.1 now almost a lottery.

beside now caldigit 10g adaptor not working on cold boot with 10.15.2, need hot plug, otherwise it is showing cable not connected even hardware recognised correct in system report. Funny enough now my Bootcamp still have both device cold boot problem free and 100% solid. 

Apple should really fix this problem consistently on Catalina......

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote