Notifications
Clear all

XPS 13 9300 and Aorus gaming box  

RSS

ult.nrg
(@ult-nrg)

Plugged my Aorus gaming box (1070) into my new XPS 13 9300 yesterday and to my disappointment, it didn't work 🙁

The laptop is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the Thunderbolt connection in an endless loop. In the Thunderbolt Control Center, the Aorus pops up, then after half a second disappears, then shows up again, disappears again, etc.

I tried an HP Thunderbolt dock and had the same issues, and after a lot of Google a lot of people had similar issues, so figured it was the laptop. I updated all firmware/BIOS etc and reinstalled Windows. The HP dock now works flawlessly but the eGPU still has exactly the same issues.

Surprisingly, if I plug the Aorus into the HP dock (via its daisy chain TB3 port), it works fine! Even after driver install, if I plug the eGPU straight into the laptop, still disconnects and reconnects 🙁

I think I've tried everything....changed BIOS settings around, tried both TB ports, tried the GPU plugged in cold as well as while Windows is running, reset it for 60 seconds between attempts, tried both the 1.0 and 1.0 HD firmware, nothing.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Bryant Harrison
(@bryant_harrison)

@ult-nrg

I have the same exact issue. The funny thing is that it worked flawlessly when I first got it for about a week. Now it does the constant connect and disconnect. I found that daisy chaining through a TB3 Dell dock solves the issue but I am currently having random problems with my mouse not working for a couple seconds every so often.

I have noticed that my internal wifi card no longer shows up in device manager. I want to think it may have something to do with some security blocking the egpu. I say this because I had to disable bitlocker to even get it to work originally (it was doing something similar when I first connected it but after connecting and restarting I got a prompt to enter my bitlocker password. After disconnecting it and disabling bitlocker I restarted with it connected and got it working for a few days).  I check to make sure that it is still disabled but still not working, also not getting the bitlocker prompt. Also of note is that I have duel booted windows 10. Both installs are now having the same issues. 

Love EGPU's but I hope usb 4 makes them more standardized.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ult.nrg
(@ult-nrg)

It looks like there's an issue with this model of laptop. I agree with you, seems to be some sort of weird security thing but unfortunately the BIOS doesn't have too many TB settings exposed.

I also disabled bitlocker and secure boot as well, neither of which fixed the problem. I toggled off virtualisation as well (as I read something about this creating another security issue with Thunderbolt) but that didn't fix the issue so I've re-enabled it.

I've been dealing with Dell support since my post to try and fix the issue. They came out and changed the motherboard of the laptop which did not fix the issue. Apart from that, we've just been going up and down doing tests with different settings with no fix as of yet.

I also tried installing Ubuntu and the same issue occurs, so it's not a Windows/driver thing, it's something in the BIOS/firmware of the laptop.

The other thing is the EGPU charges the laptop without an issue (no disconnects), so the hardware/cable/etc is all fine, it's just the "data" portion of the connection dropping off.

Daisy chaining via the HP dock has been flawless, although I have been getting weird mouse stutter issues. I have better success plugging the mouse directly into the EGPU rather than the HP dock itself (although I didn't install any of the HP dock drivers, so that could be another problem).

If there's ever a resolution I'll make sure to post it back here.

ReplyQuote
Astfgl_
(@astfgl_)

@ult-nrg, I think I have the same problem with my Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14ITL05 (the one with the i7-1165G7). I'll try contacting Lenovo about this as well and give y'all a headsup if anything changes for me!

Zenbook 3 Deluxe - i5-7200U, 8GB /w eGPU: RX 580 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
Astfgl_
(@astfgl_)

In my case it works whenever the battery is over 95%. However there is some other problems that occur when pulling heavy load: In the event manager the thunderbolt devices still connect and disconnect every 30s or so. It doesn't show while doing Premiere/Photoshop work and not even while gaming, but every now and then Wifi goes out. So I'm guessing there is still something fishy with the overall PCIe-bridging. Also when connected there is a highly-pitched sizzling noise at the TB4-port. Weird things ...

Zenbook 3 Deluxe - i5-7200U, 8GB /w eGPU: RX 580 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote