XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?  

of  14
  RSS

Nier
 Nier
(@nier)

So will this mean that a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU will have a significantly decreased performance ? I'm getting the Akitio Node for my XPS 15, will the Node run weaker on my notebook as well?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Until Dell fix the root hosting port via a new BIOS or systemboard so it run x4 3.0 (32Gbps) rather than the current x2 3.0 (16Gbps), your XPS 9550 will only be able to provide 16Gbps from it's TB3 port. That's regardless of which TB3 enclosure you use.

Posted by: Nier

So will this mean that a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU will have a significantly decreased performance ? I'm getting the Akitio Node for my XPS 15, will the Node run weaker on my notebook as well?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nier
 Nier
(@nier)

I apologize if I'm asking too many questions. I'm not familiar with tech. Will this 16Gbps limitation drastically hurt my eGPU's performance then? In other words, will it even be worth getting a Node?

Also another question. I'm having throttling issues with my XPS when gaming. Will an eGPU solve this issue by taking off some of the heat from the laptop?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

16Gbps vs 32Gbps won't be a drastic loss of performance if using an external LCD. Each netting 87% and 92% performance respectively if using a FHD external LCD and comparing to x16 3.0 REF: techpowerup PCIe scaling.

Where the decreased bandwidth will hurt you most is if using accelerated internal LCD mode, particularly on a 9550's 4K UHD display. That will put a fair load on the Thunderbolt channel.

If your throttling due to CPU+dGPU temps, and you use a eGPU instead of the dGPU, then you have more thermal headroom to then play within. The answer is more likely yes, you'll see an improvement in your current throttling when using an eGPU for gaming.

Posted by: Nier

I apologize if I'm asking too many questions. I'm not familiar with tech. Will this 16Gbps limitation drastically hurt my eGPU's performance then? In other words, will it even be worth getting a Node?

Also another question. I'm having throttling issues with my XPS when gaming. Will an eGPU solve this issue by taking off some of the heat from the laptop?

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nier
 Nier
(@nier)

I'll see if the Node runs well on my internal display then. If not, I'll just get an external monitor. Thank you for your help!

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
sbthebest
(@sbthebest)

It seems Dell has released new Thunderbolt 3 firmware , Thunderbolt controller driver and a BIOS update for XPS 9350/9360 (on 20th Dec, 16).

Is there anyone who had a go with these updates ? Does it fix the 2-lane issue ?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
julianpoyo
(@julianpoyo)

Update on my communication with Dell...

They have denied my return request, and haven't made any indication that they are even willing to acknowledge the problem.

The high level service rep handling my case left me a phone message this morning. He suggested that I keep the machine or try to sell it and get something I like.

I don't think I'll buy a Dell again.

Either way, I ordered an Akitio Node from B&H a week or two ago. Who knows when that will show up. I'll post some test results on my 9360 and a 970 when it arrives.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@julianpoyo that is very disappointing to hear. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

A small claims court can be used to force Dell to pay a refund on the basis of underperformance of advertised TB3 spec if they don't want to volunteer to do it. Then can get an Acer Nitro 592G or HP ZBook G3 which we can test and submit the same process if (unlikely) have the same problem.

Or get them to swap you for a chunky Dell Precision M7510. I confirm it has a secondary x4 3.0 port, likely the TB3 controller. Precision M3510 is an unknown but has that chunky form factor which may too mean it has such a port.

Dell's response so far lacking any customer satisfaction sensitivity. Disappointing. Glad I held off buying one.

Posted by: julianpoyo

Update on my communication with Dell...

They have denied my return request, and haven't made any indication that they are even willing to acknowledge the problem.

ReplyQuote
julianpoyo
(@julianpoyo)

I feel like the little guy. I don't know how to even begin that process.

Anyway, I updated to the new Bios v1.2.3. No PCIe link width changes.

I'm kind of wondering if it really is possible to fix this via a Bios update. Perhaps that is why Dell would avoid publishing a fix?

If this is Bios fixable, hopefully someone will figure out a hack to establish full link speed.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  14