XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?  

of  14
  RSS

Captainali
(@captainali)

I think if enough people complained they might do something about it

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I am not sure they can actually do anything on a technical level, though. They may only have two physical lanes connecting the TB3 chip to the rest of the system, in which case no amount of complaining will change that. The only recourse would be to try and get compensation out of them.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
bananasplit
(@bananasplit)

I don't believe a custom BIOS would be possible. The laptop had the BIOS Guard feature which I believe prevents flashing of unsigned BIOSes.

Another way to put pressure on them would be to get in touch with some established technology blogs / new outlets. If any would care...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Splitframe
(@splitframe)
Eminent Member

Posted by: bananasplit

I don't believe a custom BIOS would be possible. The laptop had the BIOS Guard feature which I believe prevents flashing of unsigned BIOSes.

Another way to put pressure on them would be to get in touch with some established technology blogs / new outlets. If any would care...

I tried notebookcheck via direct mail, they didn't even answer.

ReplyQuote
navalava
(@navalava)

Hi! My first post here at eGPU.io

Thanks to you guys, I found out about this issue. I posted a comment to Ultrabook review and got their article updated to show that the XPS 15 is underperforming with 16gb/s 2x 3.0    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10761-razer-core-review/comment-page-2/#comment-105568

I'm the Felipe comment haha.

Did the new update for the BIOS last week fix this? I hope this is a software issue... If not we can file a case claim...

Yukikaze and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Great way to get the word out with the large ultrabooknews website.

Dell isn't the only one with underforming TB ports. We've just discovered the Asus G751JY is running it's TB2-16Gbs port at 8Gbps (x2 2.0): https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/asus-g751jy-running-its-tb2-controller-at-half-speed/

Posted by: navalava

Thanks to you guys, I found out about this issue. I posted a comment to Ultrabook review and got their article updated to show that the XPS 15 is underperforming with 16gb/s 2x 3.0    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10761-razer-core-review/comment-page-2/#comment-105568

Did the new update for the BIOS last week fix this? I hope this is a software issue... If not we can file a case claim...

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I updated my XPS 13 9350 to the latest BIOS as well as Thunderbolt firmware. No changes in PCIe speed. This really hinders the performance of eGPU as the effective speed is much closer to Thunderbolt 2.

Posted by: navalava

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Nando suggested a few tests for me to run to determine how severe this issue is on Dell XPS laptops. I'm running the same tests on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro and a XPS 13 9350. They both have 8GB of RAM and iGPU Intel 540 running Windows 10. My controlled eGPU components are AKiTiO Thunder3 enclosure, GTX 980 Ti, AKiTiO Thunderbolt 3 cable, and Dell DA-2 power brick.

Valley benchmark with Extreme HD shows the XPS 9350 scored 1,642 (39.2FPS) while the MacBook Pro scored 2,958 (70.7FPS). That's a 45% loss of performance due to the gimped connection on the XPS.

Here are CUDA-Z screenshots when Valley was running in Optimus mode.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

navalava, goalque, Yukikaze and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I assume the effect is not nearly as dramatic if you use an external monitor, am I right?

Want to output [email protected]0Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

navalava liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Can see roughly 500MiB/s loss running FHD internal LCD mode, or 34% of TB2 bandwidth. That big chunk is liberated when using an external LCD.

Posted by: Yukikaze

I assume the effect is not nearly as dramatic if you use an external monitor, am I right?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
 of  14