XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] XPS 15 - 9550 not able to reach 40Gbps over TB3?  

of  14
  RSS

navalava
(@navalava)

Posted by: nando4

If the XPS9350/9360/9550 can drive 2 4k displays @ 60Hz via the TB16 TB3 dock without frame loss, then there is no recourse for a refund. The notebooks confirming then ~30Gbps transfer across the TB3 channel. Then are operating within Intel TB3 spec.

Posted by: kwinz

I find it very hard to believe that Dell accidentaly used a TB2 controller, which is incompatible with USB-C.
This must be a software error.

Yes, but if you see my above post, they look like are TB2 "Falcon Ridge" controllers. If they were wired as x4 3.0 using those two disconnected lanes, they could only transmit 20Gbps of data down the TB2 channel.   

But wasn't the Dell Thunderbolt notorious for going off sale for all of the errors and problems it had? I wanted to buy earlier this year but they discontinued it due to it not working. No Driver or other update fixed the comparability for the thunderbolt dock. Maybe the reason their thunderbolt 3 dock was not working properly was because the thunderbolt 3 port on their laptops were also the problem?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
anuraj1
(@madmartigan1)

Posted by: navalava

But wasn't the Dell Thunderbolt notorious for going off sale for all of the errors and problems it had? I wanted to buy earlier this year but they discontinued it due to it not working. No Driver or other update fixed the comparability for the thunderbolt dock. Maybe the reason their thunderbolt 3 dock was not working properly was because the thunderbolt 3 port on their laptops were also the problem?

Dell's TB15 dock was plagued with overheating and a lack of RF shielding. Adding a fan to it and switching the wifi card in your laptop fixed the issue. It is able to drive dual 4K screens at 60Hz, which is more bandwidth than TB2 or PCIE 3.0 x2 can handle.

2018 15" Dell Precision 7530 (Q P3200) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
kwinz
(@kwinz)

If the XPS9350/9360/9550 can drive 2 4k displays @ 60Hz via the TB16 TB3 dock without frame loss, then there is no recourse for a refund. The notebooks confirming then ~30Gbps transfer across the TB3 channel. Then are operating within Intel TB3 spec.

I find it very hard to believe that Dell accidentaly used a TB2 controller, which is incompatible with USB-C.
This must be a software error.

Yes, but if you see my above post, they look like are TB2 "Falcon Ridge" controllers. If they were wired as x4 3.0 using those two disconnected lanes, they could only transmit 20Gbps of data down the TB2 channel.   

I disagree with you.

First of all I just noticed the diagramm that was posted shows Alpine Ridge, so it really can't be "Falcon Ridge".

Secondly Dell writes about Thunderbolt 3 all the time "Supports faster data transfer of up to 40 Gbps, ideal for large files.". So while the Intel Alpine Ridge controller technically supports being driven by just 2x PCIe3.0 lanes, it makes no sense for Dell as that will cap file transfer at 16Gbit/s (- protocol overhead), instead of 32Gbit/s + some reserve for Displayport (- protocol overhead). I imagine this has to be an oversight on their part. It makes no sense to not connect the unused PCIe lanes from the CPU. And I am pretty sure there is enough substance there to get legal claims going for people who purchased it. (IANAL) Although returning it might be easier in the EU. I am not sure about common/USA law.

How can we get this escalated to Dell senior support? Make them aware of the problem. Especially as somebody who does not own a Dell just yet: How can we get the new models fixed? I really wanted to buy the new XPS15.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Yes. DSL5110 points to being an early Alpine Ridge controller.

Thunderbolt3 is 40Gbps of PCIe+DP traffic. The PCIe traffic may be capped at x2 3.0 (16Gbps), but the DP isn't. It goes via a different pathway than the PCIe links to the notebook.

Your argument about 'large file support' may have merit if you reference external TB3 storage using PCIe, eg: https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-ssd . There you'd be capped at 16Gbps x2 3.0 rather than 32Gbps x4 3.0.

The Dell XPS 9360 is also handicapped at x2 3.0 PCIe. Is the upcoming XPS 9560 also? We simply don't know yet. A single TB3 port on the system indicative of more likely than not.

I disagree with you.

First of all I just noticed the diagramm that was posted shows Alpine Ridge, so it really can't be "Falcon Ridge".

Secondly Dell writes about Thunderbolt 3 all the time "Supports faster data transfer of up to 40 Gbps, ideal for large files.". So while the Intel Alpine Ridge controller technically supports being driven by just 2x PCIe3.0 lanes, it makes no sense for Dell as that will cap file transfer 16Gbit/s (- protocoll overhead), instead of 32Gbit/s + some reserve for Displayport (- protocoll overhead). I imagine this has to be an oversight on their part. It makes no sense to not connect the unused PCIe lanes from the CPU. And I am pretty sure there is enough substance there to get legal claims going for people who purchased it. Although returning it might be easier if you lawyer up in the EU. I am not sure about common/USA law.

How can we get this escalated to Dell senior support?And as somebody who does not own a Dell just yet: How can we get the new models fixed? I really wanted to buy the new XPS15.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
stryakr
(@stryakr)

As a prospective buyer of an eGPU solution, what is the course of action for determining if I have 4 or 2 lanes wired; so far it seems that only the XPS 13 (9350) has had it's wiring schematic found. I'd like to be able to test the TB3 on my system, but I am unaware of any options for testing without actually purchasing an enclosure. 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

For 6th gen i-core  and newer, check how many TB3 ports there are. If there is only one, ask the vendor if it is running "4 lanes of PCI Express 3.0" through the TB3 link.

If yes, then purchase your eGPU gear and (if have a NVidia card), run CUDA-Z -> Performance tab to confirm it's x4 3.0 end to end.  Look at the host-to-device figure. It is > 22xx MiB/s in a TB3 x4 3.0 link and 14xx MiB/s in  a TB2 x4 2.0 (~x2 3.0) link.

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
stryakr
(@stryakr)

I just purchased a MSI RX 480, but I have a GTX 460, would the tool still work with that older Nvidia card?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Yes, CUDA-Z works with a GTX 460.

Posted by: stryakr

I just purchased a MSI RX 480, but I have a GTX 460, would the tool still work with that older Nvidia card?

ReplyQuote
anuraj1
(@madmartigan1)

Strangely, I can't get CUDA-Z to work on my Precision 5510 or my XPS 9550 with a Powercolor Devil Box and GTX 1080.

It works fine with just the 960m but when the eGPU is plugged in, the 960m automatically goes inactive and CUDA-Z can't detect any CUDA capable devices.

However, HWInfo and the Nvidia Control Panel both confirm that the GTX1080 is running at PCIE 3.0 x2.

2018 15" Dell Precision 7530 (Q P3200) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Splitframe
(@splitframe)
Eminent Member

Posted by: anuraj1

Strangely, I can't get CUDA-Z to work on my Precision 5510 or my XPS 9550 with a Powercolor Devil Box and GTX 1080.

It works fine with just the 960m but when the eGPU is plugged in, the 960m automatically goes inactive and CUDA-Z can't detect any CUDA capable devices.

However, HWInfo and the Nvidia Control Panel both confirm that the GTX1080 is running at PCIE 3.0 x2.

Be sure to install Nvidia Driver 375.70 and disable the 960m in the device manager. Unplug, plug and cuda-z works. 

The specific driver is just one that works best for me currently. The newer ones only achieve 1100mb/s instead of 1400

ReplyQuote
 of  14