XPS17 + 3080ti on TB3 16Gbps? - Bad H2D

Notifications
Clear all

XPS17 + 3080ti on TB3 16Gbps? - Bad H2D  

RSS

crossday
(@crossday)

I recently bought a EVGA 3080ti and installed in Mantiz Saturn Pro.

However, I discovered that the H2D performance is so bad that it basically on 16Gbps 2lane.

CUDAZ 16GBPS

And when I check the HWINFO, it confirms this hypophysis and the speed is only on 2.5GT/s.

HWINFO 1
HWINFO 2

The upstream port is indeed 8.0GT/s, but it is divided into 4 ports 2.5GT/s each downstream.

HWINFO 3

What could possibly cause this and how could I solve this. Desperately needs help Roll

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2020 17" XPS 17 9700 [10th,8C,H] + RTX 3080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
crossday
(@crossday)

After digging deep on the issue, I suspect that the cable cause this issue.

I now have three TB3 cable, 1 come with the Mantiz Saturn Pro, 1 Apple TB3 0.8m cable and 1 come with the 1080 Aorus Gaming Box. All those cables are passive cable and I suspect that may be the cause.

I have ordered 2 active cable and will report the result when they arrived.

2020 17" XPS 17 9700 [10th,8C,H] + RTX 3080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@crossday, I hope this is an issue with the TB3 cables and not the host system firmware/configuration. It would be very strange for Dell to cripple the Thunderbolt connection after other mishaps when Thunderbolt 3 eGFX was first introduced.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
crossday
(@crossday)

it's getting wired. I've got a 1.5m TB3 active cable for the test. However, the fan goes crazy full speed once I plugged it and no egpu detected.Windows 10 popped this message "Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited". I now have no idea what's happening.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
crossday
(@crossday)

@itsage, Well I think I have figured it out.

I have been using the Apple 0.8m TB3 passive cable and plug it on the left port, and it only runs on 2-lane speed (USB3.2 Gen2?).

When the left port plugged in with a 1.5m active cable, it cannot defect the enclosure at all, i.e. the left slot can only use a 2-lane speed thunderbolt 3 (20Gbps bandwidth) with no support of an active cable.

When I switch to the right port, every thing comes back. No matter the passive or active cable gives full speed (40Gbps), which indicate the cables have nothing to do with this situation but Dell's problem.

What should be my next step? To seek help from Dell Support for a fix?

ScreenShot 2021 08 06 204412

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@crossday, Can you open HWiNFO64 as well as Device Manager and identify PCIe Bus numbers to the corresponding Thunderbolt 3 ports on the laptop? From the OP it seems the left TB3 ports get a 4-lane PCIe 3.0 connection, same as right TB3 ports. I wonder if they all are going through the PCH or have direct access to the CPU.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
crossday
(@crossday)

@itsage, unfortunately the miracle has gone after a reboot. Now my enclosure cannot be defected on ports on both side when using the active cable. Though the passive cable can still be used, but only 16Gbps.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@crossday, I would check with different BIOS versions before engaging Dell Support for an exchange.

ReplyQuote
crossday
(@crossday)

@itsage, I managed to get the right ports working with full speed again after flashing bios. So far I've tested 3 BIOS version. Different BIOS version, same results: the left ports would never go full speed. And it seems that if I don't safely remove the enclosure before unplug it, it will show that functionality limited notification and would not connect anymore until I re-flash the BIOS (talking about right ports with active cable; active cable will never connect to PC and fan speed will instantly max out). If I can live with 2-lane, no matter how I manipulate the enclosure, it will still get recognize, just at 16Gbps speed.

If I'm going to connect the egpu to external monitor, is it not much of a different between 2-lane and 4-lane?

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote