eGPU error 12 fail after update to Windows 10 1903 or newer (OS Build 18362.329 ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] eGPU error 12 fail after update to Windows 10 1903 or newer (OS Build 18362.329 or newer) inc downgrade pci.sys version solution  

of  69
  RSS

Agent
(@agent)

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. I disabled Windows Update as best I could and created a system restore point for when I inevitably have to run Windows Update.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tonyspizza
(@tonyspizza)

I have a 2018 Mac mini with i5, 15GB RAM.  Windows 10 is at version 1909, build 18363.535.  I have a Sonnet eGFX 650 enclosure with a Radeon Vega 64 graphics card.  I cannot get it to work on the windows side.  I'm getting this error in Device Manager: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

Please Help

Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
danielm
(@danielm)

Hi everyone, I have a   Razer Core X   with   Vega56   connected to a 2018   MBA  and purchased Win10 Pro (the latest 1909 version).

I have followed all eGPU bootcamp instructions, including the automate eGPU EFI boot (which showed 'no egpu detected' in the boot screen, not sure why, but eGPU is later detected anyway). When plugging the TB3 cable after Win10 loads the device becomes connected, I installed the Adrenaline 2020 drivers (which completed installation but showed an 'error 207', not sure what that is). Radeon RX Vega is now detected in Device Manager but with error 12, and nothing changes even after disabling iSight camera.

What else is there to do to fix this? As this is an installation file downloaded from Microsoft, there is no way for me to 'rollback' to an earlier version of Win10. 

Thanks a lot everyone,

Daniel

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tonyspizza @danielm Follow the instructions in the original post to download Win10 1903 V1 ISO. Perform a clean Boot Camp installation with that ISO and make sure you disable Windows Updates to stay at or below 18362.295.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
danielm
(@danielm)

Thanks for that, will try that now. Just a quick question though - after all is complete, every time I boot Windows on my Mac, do I need to keep on boot loading from EFI or simply from the Windows partition on bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
tonyspizza
(@tonyspizza)

@itsage

Thank you for that.  I just did a fresh install.  What is the most reliable way to prevent Windows from updating automatically?

Thanks,

ReplyQuote
Bas Timmer
(@bas_timmer)

A quick analysis shows that in `pci.sys`, a function called "PciOverrideBridgeRequirements" got changed between .1 and .329 to add 2 additional override cases from the initial build of pci.sys. There does not seem to be a registry change to bypass this, but perhaps this can be overridden from ACPI: that's a slightly later concern I might look into, it does seem to act on a resource requirement value.

For now, downgrading system32\drivers\pci.sys to the version shipped with the initial 18362.1/.10 ISO (take ownership, rename, replace) works fine, but it might be this'll need to be put back to allow future CUs editing this file to be installed. Perhaps as a workaround references to pci.sys in the registry could be renamed to, say, pci2.sys as well, but I'm not certain about this...

mac_editor, ahendarman, Gregor Pigula and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tonyspizza I have tried different methods to prevent automatic Windows updates. The most reliable approach is through Group Policy [gpedit.msc].

Expand Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Double-click Configure Automatic Updates to make changes.

Click the radio button Enabled and choose 2-Notify for download and auto install in the drop-down under Options.

Once this is done, you'd see a notification message by the bottom right of taskbar periodically but no auto install will take place.

Simply ignore these messages and continue to create manual restore points when you install graphics drivers just in case.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sace
 Sace
(@sace)
Eminent Member

After having given up on getting my setup running a few weeks back I gave it another shot today. And I got it running!

Since this started I was never able to get past the Error 12 code by disabling the FaceTime camera as I could before. Maybe there has been some changes with the lastest version of Mac OS X. As mentioned I then started playing with the DSDT override procedure but that gave me a ton of problems and never really worked. 

Today I got the idea to reduce the memory range used to compile the modified .aml file. The result was another memory area seen in device manager but not labeled as “large memory” (Makes sense as the new entry was 4GB). But that seems to do the trick. The eGPU attaches get’s allocated in that memory area and I don’t have to disable anything.

Currently I have it running with the radeon drivers bundled with W10 1803 but I think I’ll play around with other versions of windows and the radeon drivers.

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gregor Pigula
(@gregor_pigula)

@bas_timmer

Thank you, after update to 1903 newest build and replacing pci.sys, the 5700 XT is working.

Same after going up to 1909 newest build. I used an "Emergency" Windows Boot Stick for replacing the file.

ReplyQuote
 of  69