eGPU error 12 fail after update to Windows 10 1903 or newer (OS Build 18362.329 ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] eGPU error 12 fail after update to Windows 10 1903 or newer (OS Build 18362.329 or newer) inc downgrade pci.sys version solution  

of  69
  RSS

sdgros01
(@sdgros01)

@ahendarman

How did you overwrite? I’ve tried a few different ways and can’t get write access to replace the file. On my boot camp on my old MacBook something is wrong with thunderbolt drivers so I can target disk it either.

whats the easiest way to be able to replace the fole

really looking forward to getting this back up and running

2016 MBP Touch: Razer Core X Vega 56-macOS 10.14.3 Windows 10 Eyefinity 2012 MBP: Akitio Node Pro SST-SX650 Noctura Fans GTX-760 Dual Boot 10.14.3 Windows 10

ReplyQuote
Florin Samareanu
(@florin_samareanu)
Eminent Member

@sdgros01 right click the file - Properties - security - advanced - click Change next to "Trusted Installer" - Advanced - Find Now - Select your user from the list - Ok - Apply - Ok -Ok (this closes the properties window).

Then again, right click - Properties - Security - Advanced - Add (from lower half of the screen) - Advanced - Find Now - Select your user - OK - Click all checkboxes - Apply - Ok

Now you can overwrite the file (make a backup before) and restart.

For good measure I revoked "Trusted Installer"'s access to the file otherwise it got overwritten somehow on a subsequent reboot. Now hot plug works just fine.

16'' Macbook Pro - Razer Core X Chroma - PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT - LG 27UK850

ReplyQuote
ahendarman
(@ahendarman)

@sdgros01 and @florin_samareanu

As Florin graciously explained, it's (take ownership, rename, replace) method as described by @bas_timmer

Also disable the Windows Update and Windows Update Medic Services for now

(type Service on the search bar and look for those two services in the Services windows that pop up, double click and change startup type to Disable)

Razer Stealth 13" (early 2019), Razer Core X Chroma, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT
Macbook Pro 13" (2018), Mantiz Venus, XFX RX 580

ReplyQuote
Shiraz
(@shiraz)

This is driving me bonkers!

Im on Windows 10 1909, I’ve replaced the pci.sys with the one in Windows 10 1903 V1.iso. Rebooted my Macbook Pro and still get the same code 12 for my Vega 64.

What am I doing wrong?

Macbook Pro 15" Mid-2017, Razer Core X Chroma, Vega 64, Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
Florin Samareanu
(@florin_samareanu)
Eminent Member

@shiraz what size is the DLL that you replaced (in KB)? To my surprise on restart with my egpu connected something restored the bad version (and no update was installed). 

This post was modified 7 months ago

16'' Macbook Pro - Razer Core X Chroma - PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT - LG 27UK850

ReplyQuote
Shiraz
(@shiraz)

Posted by: @florin_samareanu

@shiraz what size is the DLL that you replaced (in KB)? To my surprise on restart with my egpu connected something restored the bad version (and no update was installed). 

Yes you are right. The backup copy I made and the pci.sys I have now is the same size (427kb). How can we prevent it from being over-written? 

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@shiraz I think you have to take off the trusted installer access of the file or use the emergency method to replace it described in previous posts. 

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Florin Samareanu
(@florin_samareanu)
Eminent Member

@shiraz

You need to redo taking ownership and overwriting. As I said above, revoking trusted installer’s permissions on the file seems to have stopped it from restoring the bad version but your mileage may vary. 

ReplyQuote
Shiraz
(@shiraz)

Finally got it to work.

Once you replace the pci.sys file, you must take off installer access permissions.

For whoever needs it, the pci.sys file can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZleU49wtrfYsypRc0dXbn_yWKdaXtdDa

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
Eminent Member

By the way, for those who are successful in installing an older version of windows and it's a home edition,  you might not be able to access the group policy editor that will prevent updates from auto downloading and installing.

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/

Apparently it is possible to install group policy editor without upgrading to windows pro or education versions! the link above teaches you how to make it so, hope this is helpful!

Current setup: Lenovo Yoga C740 + Razer Core V2 + 5700XT

Prev setup 3: Razer Blade Steath (early 2019) + Razer Core V2 + Vega 56

Prev setup 2: Late 2016 Razer Blade Stealth, Powercolour devil box + gtx 1060

Prev setup 1: 2016 13" MBP (no touchbar)
Powercolor Devil Box + GTX 1060/GTX 980(succeeded somewhat), RX480 Nitro+ 4GB(attempted but failed)

2016 12" Razer Blade Stealth [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  69