Notifications
Clear all

2018 MacBook Pro w/ Razer Core X & AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Steam & CS:GO Issue  

of  3
  RSS

Schoubye
(@schoubye)

@nu_ninja

Thanks for responding so quickly. So far I've only managed to make my egpu work with Heaven... Won't work with Starcraft 2 or CSGO which are the only games I play. Strongly considering sending everything back and getting my money back.

Quick question. If I get a headless adapter thingy -- do I need a special display port for that then? On my iMac I only have USB-C and USB ports. And on my macbook pro, I only have USB-C ports. So, I'd need both the headless adapter and some kind of converter? Or does the headless adapter plug into a standard usb port? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie with this stuff. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear that, for Starcraft did you try the method in this thread? It can be tricky to find the root app that you need to check the prefer eGPU checkbox on. For the headless adapter, it plugs into the display outputs (HDMI, etc.) on the egpu card so the card thinks an external display is plugged in.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Schoubye
(@schoubye)

@nu_ninja

Ah ok, I see. Thanks so much for the help. Will take a look at that thread and get one of those display thingies.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@pudgy

@schoubye

I figured out a way to slightly modify CS:GO to get it natively working on the internal display in macOS (conveniently, by looking at the way Dota 2 does it). It's a very slight modification that shouldn't trigger a ban or anything, but a headless adapter would still be the "safer" option. Anyway here's the steps:

1: Go to game files location. Right-click on the game in the steam library and go to Properties > "Local Files" Tab > "Browse Local Files"

2: Create a folder called csgoFolder

3: Inside csgoFolder create a folder called Contents

4: Inside Contents, create a folder called MacOS

5: Go back to the original game folder and move csgo_osx64 to be inside csgoFolder/Contents/MacOS

6: Rename csgoFolder to csgo_osx64.app and set "Prefer External GPU" on it.

7: Edit csgo.sh and change line 28 from GAMEEXE=csgo_osx64 to GAMEEXE=csgo_osx64.app/Contents/MacOS/csgo_osx64

The game should launch normally and use the eGPU

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kurczak Cebula
(@kurczak_cebula)

I bought today Gigabyte Rx Vega 64 with Razer Core x and i have the same problem ;c My mac is Pro 13' 2019.

Do you think guys that the only way is to boot and play on windows ?

My eGpu works only when i change all to ultra with resolution 4k on tv ...

I set prefer egpu in options but it doesnt works. 

ReplyQuote
Arkanath Pathak
(@arkanath_pathak)

@nu_ninja, That worked for me, and it's helping a bit I think. So cool

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@nu_ninja, Brilliant!

Was still licking my wounds having not been able to get the egpu to work in Windows and then one of the very few games available for MacOS wouldn't use the egpu either...

You saved my day! Smile

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
 of  3