2018 Mac mini, do I need more ram?

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac mini, do I need more ram?  

RSS

ekkim
(@ekkim)

Hey everyone,

A quick question... We’re working with 4K raw content with a 2018 Mac mini, 3.6GHz 6-core i7, 1TB, 32GB ram and a Vega 64.

We went with the mini while we wait to see what the new Mac Pro may bring...

Please could someone help us understand if we would benefit significantly in editing, rendering, exporting by upgrading to 64GB? This option wasn’t available by 3rd parties when we bought our Mac and we didn’t want to pay Apple’s ram prices...

We’re using Premier Pro and FCPX Smile

Attached is a screenshot from yesterday’s export.

Thank you in advance for any help Smile

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/zO9U1Yp"><a href="//imgur.com/zO9U1Yp"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This topic was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I think RAM usually helps for real-time editing and timeline performance. Export is more compute-business. I am no expert though.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Massimo Franzese
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @ekkim

Hey everyone,

A quick question... We’re working with 4K raw content with a 2018 Mac mini, 3.6GHz 6-core i7, 1TB, 32GB ram and a Vega 64.

We went with the mini while we wait to see what the new Mac Pro may bring...

Please could someone help us understand if we would benefit significantly in editing, rendering, exporting by upgrading to 64GB? This option wasn’t available by 3rd parties when we bought our Mac and we didn’t want to pay Apple’s ram prices...

We’re using Premier Pro and FCPX Smile

Attached is a screenshot from yesterday’s export.

Thank you in advance for any help Smile

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/zO9U1Yp"><a href="//imgur.com/zO9U1Yp"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You won't get any benefit from 32 to 64 Gb

To check that run activity monitor and check RAM pressure you will see that even with the most complex timeline FCPX rarely uses for than 16-18 GB so with 32 GB your level or RAM pressure is 50% and you are fine to do other things as well should you wish so

Mac Mini 2018 3.2 Ghz 6 cores
Razer Core X enclosure with Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro
Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote