General Discussions
Adobe CC (2017) Experiences?

Adobe CC (2017) Experiences?  

RSS

swamplander
(@swamplander)

Currently on a late 2013 15" MBP with discrete graphics... looking for an eGPU solution for this laptop and a new MBP (ideally want to go with 13" if I can get eGPU working). The eGPU isn't going to be used for gaming, rather Adobe CC (Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, Media Encoder) as well as some machine learning / deep learning work. It would aways be hooked up to an external monitor.

Looking through the forums, I'm now wondering if I'm wasting my time exploring this as people aren't having much success with getting the Adobe CC suite to recognize the cards. I'd prefer to get the Nvidia GTX 1080, but will go with AMD RX 580 to get the High Sierra native support.

Has anyone had success with Adobe CC products & leveraging an eGPU... if so, what card?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kyledag500
(@kyledag500)
Eminent Member

I was only able to get my GTX Titan X to work on Windows (via Bootcamp). I've returned it and I will be getting an RX 580 in a few days for native High Sierra support, and hopefully less issues overall. Ive got a 15"MBP 2016.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

I just got my eGPU setup and have been starting to run tests with Adobe CC 2017 apps. I've got an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti connected to my 2013 iMac using an Akitio Node. The iMac itself has a built in GTX 780M card. It looks like Photoshop and After Effects recognize the card in their Preferences just fine. Rendering in After Effects does seem to be considerably faster on the external card, but I've got more tests to run. What is strange is playback using the Element 3D plugin. This plugin is OpenGL based, so the faster your card, the faster the renders. Now in terms of actually cache rendering a scene built with Element, there is no difference whether I have After Effects open on my internal monitor or external monitor. However, once I've cached the Element render and playback within After Effects, the frame rate is kind of choppy on the internal monitor, but totally smooth on the external monitor. I'm also jacking up the settings like crazy on Element (using Raytraced AO and Shadows, Depth of Field, high Multi and Supersampling, etc). This is a bit strange, but maybe has to do with the same reason that games run faster on the external monitor? I assume rendering is a background process so it doesn't matter which monitor After Effects is displayed on for that, but actual playback and things that deal with FPS will be boosted on the external monitor... If anyone has additional thoughts or experience with this it would be appreciated!

I'm also running some tests with Premiere, and getting a few mixed results. I've got a file that has two 4K videos running side by side split-screen style. Before the eGPU setup, I would only be able to playback at Half resolution. Now with the eGPU setup, I can play at Full resolution with no noticeable lag. So that's awesome. Rendering however is another story. 1080p rendering is super fast, no problems there. 4k rendering however seems to have some trouble if I am using the HEVC codec. H.264 seems fine, but I had a 35 minute 4K video that took over 3 hours to render when it was exported with the HECV codec. No effects or anything, just straight cuts and minimal titles. Same thing with Media Encoder. I need to run some more tests, but it looks like for now I may end up sticking with my previous method of rendering at H.264 super high bit rate, then compressing to H.265/HECV using Handbrake. This is a bit annoying as Premiere can use CUDA and should be taking advantage of my new card for rendering.

Bear in mind that my 2013 iMac is only Thunderbolt 1 enabled, so I am getting a performance drop from the Thunderbolt 3 equipped Node to Thunderbolt 1. I will be testing this setup soon on a 2016 Macbook Pro which has Thunderbolt 3, so hoping for some further performance improvements. I also use Octane Render for Cinema 4D which is able to make use of both the eGPU and internal GPU and I'm seeing a HUGE performance boost there, which is fantastic.

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Small update:

I ran some render tests with Media Encoder with the eGPU plugged in and without it (so using the internal GPU). Footage was a 10-ish minute clip at 4k compressed with H.264 and H.265.

GTX 980 Ti (eGPU): 13:50 for H.264, 34:49 for H.265

GTX 780M (internal GPU): 14:31 for H.264, 36:43 for H.265

Disappointingly, it looks like the eGPU only saves around a minute or so on rendering. This may improve once I test on the Thunderbolt 3 enabled Macbook Pro. However, it does look like my initial speculation that H.265 takes much longer to render than H.264 were correct, thankfully not an issue with the eGPU itself.

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Supaiku

Small update:

I ran some render tests with Media Encoder with the eGPU plugged in and without it (so using the internal GPU). Footage was a 10-ish minute clip at 4k compressed with H.264 and H.265.

GTX 980 Ti (eGPU): 13:50 for H.264, 34:49 for H.265

GTX 780M (internal GPU): 14:31 for H.264, 36:43 for H.265

Disappointingly, it looks like the eGPU only saves around a minute or so on rendering. This may improve once I test on the Thunderbolt 3 enabled Macbook Pro. However, it does look like my initial speculation that H.265 takes much longer to render than H.264 were correct, thankfully not an issue with the eGPU itself.

Premiere/AME uses the GPU only to render the GPU accelerated effects. Encoding with either H264 or H265, is CPU based. While some graphics cards do support hardware accelerated encoding/decoding, Adobe has never supported it.

I wouldn't expect any performance difference with TB3.  If you are using Macs and rendering times bog you down, then you should look at FCPX that supports hardware acceleration for encoding. 

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Posted by: kotlos
Premiere/AME uses the GPU only to render the GPU accelerated effects. Encoding with either H264 or H265, is CPU based. While some graphics cards do support hardware accelerated encoding/decoding, Adobe has never supported it.I wouldn't expect any performance difference with TB3.  If you are using Macs and rendering times bog you down, then you should look at FCPX that supports hardware acceleration for encoding. 

Well that's a bummer! I would have thought that Premiere would use the GPU for rendering, since you can select OpenGL Cuda as the render engine. I have noticed playback of 4k footage within Premiere has improved quite a bit with the new eGPU however.

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Supaiku

Well that's a bummer! I would have thought that Premiere would use the GPU for rendering, since you can select OpenGL Cuda as the render engine. I have noticed playback of 4k footage within Premiere has improved quite a bit with the new eGPU however.

It does but only for the effects... Then it uses the CPU to actually encode & write the rendered image.

So if you add a bunch of GPU accelerated effects, you will see a larger difference between the internal & the external GPU.

Keep also in mind that 780M is a very capable GPU 🙂

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

Just ran some additional render tests with After Effects. HUGE improvements! I've got a 30 second composition with many GPU-based effects/plugins, such as the Trapcode plugins, Stardust plugin, and Plexus plugin, all layered on top of each other.

Render time for the 780M was 1 hr. 14 min. With the 980Ti it dropped to 35 min!!! That's over twice as fast. WOW!

Also using Octane Render in C4D I'm getting 4-5x speed increase. And this is with the card running through Thunderbolt 1. Can't wait to run these tests on a Thunderbolt 3 machine!

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member

here some benchmarks fo Adobe CC 2017

Premiere Pro CC 2017 GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Performance

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-Performance-912/

Test Setup

To see how the new GTX 1080 Ti performs in Premiere Pro, we will be testing with the following hardware:

Testing Hardware
Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe II
CPU: Intel Core i7 6950X 3.0GHz
(3.4-4GHz) 10 Core
RAM: 4x DDR4-2400 32GB ECC Reg.
(128GB Total)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce
GTX 1070 8GB

MSRP ~$400
NVIDIA GeForce
GTX 1080 8GB

MSRP ~$550
NVIDIA GeForce
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

MSRP ~$700
NVIDIA
Titan X 12GB

MSRP ~$1,200
Hard Drive: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 PCI-E x4 NVMe SSD
Software: Premiere Pro 2017.0.2

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Premiere Pro 2017 Benchmark Render Previews

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Premiere Pro 2017 Benchmark Export

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
swamplander
(@swamplander)

The challenge for me is that Premiere Pro CC on Windows has a LOT more GPU support options than it does on MacOS. The test results above are for a Windows box.

ReplyQuote
ari
 ari
(@ari)

@swamplander im running a akitio node 3 on a mbp mid 2012 15" all good in the hood concerning games ( sigh) but the much more needed pro apps dont seem to profit at all from the gtx 1070 🙁 bummer big time. also there are screen blackouts from time to time which makes this setup unusable for me. fcpx though increases performance wildly when the egpu is attached. maybe the adobe guys will take a coding lesson from the apple programmers. i can only speak for the latest systems, mac os x 10.12.5 latest adobe cc (170704)

ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member

@ari If you use GPU based effects and plugins in After Effects or Premiere, it should take advantage of your gtx 1070. Element 3D for example is much faster now with my eGPU setup than before, and After Effects in general renders much faster. Premiere on the other hand hasn't seen a huge boost which is unfortunate. I think I mentioned earlier that I can now playback 4k video in real-time with no issue, but my actual exports are not that much faster than they were before. So it seems render previews are faster but not final renders. Very strange. Hopefully with the upcoming High Sierra support for eGPUs, Adobe will follow suit and take more advantage of them in upcoming releases.

ReplyQuote
Denissow
(@denissow)

Hi, Im new here and also new in using an egpu. After doing a lot of research (mainly in this forum) I finally decided to get my first egpu setup to improov video editing performance in Premiere Pro.

I got a mantiz venus running on an late 2016 macbook pro touchbar 13" with an rx580 nitro 8GB inside. The graphicscard is recognized in High Sierra as an AMD R9 xxx 8GB. I ran Cinebench. The result for my rx580 was 58fps compared to the internal iris with 48fps.

I expected improovement in previewing and rendering time in Adobe Premier Pro on certain gpu accelerated effect for example Colorista by Red Giant and also in some Premiere effect. I selected open cl in the project preferences but it seems like I am actually not using the egpu power at all. Preview rendering and decoding gave the same results with and without the mantiz connected. For a 30 seconds clip with colorcorrection the export (1080p H.264 high bitrate) took 9min with and without egpu (+-5sec on several tests)

It seems like Adobe has not recognized the egpu yet or am I wrong? Do I have to run any skript or driver so that Premiere will make use of it?

Anyone having the same issue?

ReplyQuote
JPBOSS97
(@jpboss97)

Hello, I have the same issue, also not experiencing any major differences while editing and rendering in premiere pro. It feels like my mac still uses te internal gpu.

Macbook pro 15" 2015 (tb2) ->dongle tb2 to tb3 -> Aorus gtx1070 -> Displayport -> LG screen (working).

Is there some kind of software to see if it is working as it should be?

Schermafbeelding 2017 08 15 om 15.03.59
Schermafbeelding 2017 08 15 om 15.03.36

cchrisllb liked
ReplyQuote
Sebix5
(@sebix5)

Any upgrades or new experiences about this post?

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: JPBOSS97

Hello, I have the same issue, also not experiencing any major differences while editing and rendering in premiere pro. It feels like my mac still uses te internal gpu.

Macbook pro 15" 2015 (tb2) ->dongle tb2 to tb3 -> Aorus gtx1070 -> Displayport -> LG screen (working).

Is there some kind of software to see if it is working as it should be?

Schermafbeelding 2017 08 15 om 15.03.59
Schermafbeelding 2017 08 15 om 15.03.36

Hey! Did you find a fix for that?

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
Getch
(@getch)

I have had a hell of a time getting After Effects to recognize cuda.  It's all installed and Premiere sees it fine.  But CUDA isn't a render option on my Mac in After Effects.  Can anyone shed light?

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

@getch AE renders on the CPU. I think you'd need to send it to Media Encoder to make use of the Mercury Playback Engine for GPU acceleration.

2013 MacPro 2xD700 [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.3
2017 TB MBP 2xGTX1080Ti-TB3 (Akitio Node) + macOS 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
Getch
(@getch)

Thanks for the reply!  Here's the thing Andy, and all...With Cuda running great, and everything else working  outside of After Effects, this is the last thing I need to fix.  WHY IS SHADER BLANK?!?!

And why is it only allowing OPEN CL , METAL, and CPU...where is CUDA?  If I take the GPU and put it in a PC, CUDA renders all day, but on MAC it is SO confused...even though my GT750M will read it and render on my Mac Book Pro (I'm dong this on a Mac can), so I know AE does CUDA on Mac.  But I'm stuck without the option.  Anyone?  Please?

ReplyQuote
Getch
(@getch)

For anybody with issues in getting CUDA rendering in After Effects, I FOUND THIS:

http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/after-effects-hack-to-enable-maxwell-cards

It isolates the issue to the ray tracing engine not being updated on Mac systems.  It also tells you how to get to the liboptix.1.dylib which is basically optix1.dll

So now that we've got that out of the way, this person also references that you need to adjust cudart.dylib and bring both files in to the runtime folder of AE.  So in AE 2018, I've tried it with the latest V5, 4, and 3 versions of the optix and cudart files from the SDKs.  So far the shader remains blank, and it also removed the gpu recognition entirely in AE.   Replacing it with the original optix file and cudart brings the gpu back w/ cuda support, but the GPU Shader is still blank.  

When replacing with JUST the optix file from SDK 3 gave no change.  GPU/CUDA all good, but shader blank. 

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING!

When I replaced only optix file from SDK 4, CUDA disappeared (probably because I'm on 9.2 and the Optix 4 only supports 7.5?)  from the AE GPU info, but the GPU was recognized as experimental, and the shader was still blank.  WHERE IS THIS SHADER MODEL FILE?  

I have a GTX 1080 TI and adjusting the gpu whitelist for AE didn't help.

The Nvidia driver is 387.10.10.10.40.105 and I noticed in the CUDA FRAMEWORK folder that the versions don't go that decimal deep in the dylib files.  

But the dang shader is still blank and I KNOW it's because OPEN GL is not providing the shader to AE.    HERE'S where I'm stuck:

shaderblank

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Bottom line: Adobe still needs to make some adjustments to their apps to take full advantage of eGPUs. From what I've seen there will be at least a couple Adobe apps this fall, some won't. Not sure about AE and Premiere. What they need to do across the board is to have a simple preference option that says "Use eGPU for processing and rendering wherever possible." Will they do it that way? Probably not but they should. People should send that feedback.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Getch
(@getch)

TOO TRUE!  However, for now...Any ideas on enabling a better OpenGL Version and Shader Model so I (and others) can render using Open GL?  There's clearly a tie to the driver here, right?  Can we upgrade the driver?

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Chippy McChipset

Bottom line: Adobe still needs to make some adjustments to their apps to take full advantage of eGPUs. From what I've seen there will be at least a couple Adobe apps this fall, some won't. Not sure about AE and Premiere. What they need to do across the board is to have a simple preference option that says "Use eGPU for processing and rendering wherever possible." Will they do it that way? Probably not but they should. People should send that feedback.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

excellent idea to post there... i searched eGPU on each of those links and upvoted the need for more development

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Getch

TOO TRUE!  However, for now...Any ideas on enabling a better OpenGL Version and Shader Model so I (and others) can render using Open GL?  There's clearly a tie to the driver here, right?  Can we upgrade the driver?

I don't believe so. In the sense that the  specific OpenGL implementation your computer uses is set up by Apple, that includes GL version, drivers, all of it. Same deal with Metal, only to a larger extent because unlike OpenGL they actually wrote the source code and frameworks.

Basically anything that is a system level resource like that which controls screen drawing and other important functions, we won't be able to mess with it. And frankly we wouldn't want to unless we like watching the developer who attempts it get sued by a trillion dollar company. 🙂

One other Adobe note: they released statements today about dropping support for Win 8.1 and even a couple earlier versions of Win 10 (next version of CC will require v1709 or later, similar to Sonnet's eGPUs for example), and anything earlier than 10.12. If they had said 10.13.4 or later, I would've said we have reason to be optimistic about eGPU optimizations but 10.12 is no help in that regard. That said, Windows users may get some added optimizations for eGPU. 

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

ReplyQuote