Adobe CC 2019 Discussion  

RSS

Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
September 12, 2018 5:31 pm  

Looks like Adobe announced features for AE CC 2019, Premiere Pro CC 2019, and the video suite (for IBC), will be out at MAXX presumably. 

Here's what AE is adding in terms of GPU / CPU acceleration:

"And we’ve GPU-accelerated nine more effects, including Color Balance (HLS), Curves, Fill, Exposure, Noise, Tritone, and Set Matte. Wave Warp and Median are now multi-threaded and running faster on the CPU"

No mention of eGPU that I've found so far. The above improvements are useful but no eGPU focus is disappointing. This is the app that could most benefit from support but maybe it's something they did but are not advertising. 

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
October 16, 2018 8:34 pm  

Looks like still no explicit support for eGPU in the Adobe suite. A little surprising to be honest.

2016-2018 Macs, Sonnet eGPUs, RX, WX, Vega AMD cards, GTX 1070 and RTX 2080, various 4K displays

dallasmcfly liked
ReplyQuote
petersphilo
(@petersphilo-2)
November 17, 2018 2:42 pm  

The info page for Media Encoder says:
"October 2018": "Broader support for hardware acceleration on macOS"
Does anyone have any idea what that means?
Does it mean that AMD (e)GPU acceleration is supported in the 2019 version? -- i assume not..

EDIT: confirmed not -- i just tried the Media Encoder 2019 demo. Sadly, we're still stuck in Never-Never land: Apple only supports AMD eGPUs and Adobe only supports CUDA (NVDIA) GPUs... Grrr

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
maxt
 maxt
(@maxt)
December 22, 2018 9:51 pm  

I just set up a new Mac mini (i7, 32GB RAM) with a Razer Core X + Vega 64 eGPU and can share some Adobe CC tests. I'm using a single monitor connected directly to the eGPU, so results may vary on a system with an internal display. 

I haven't done any heavy work to stress this system yet, but the short answer is yes, Adobe CC 2019 supports the eGPU. I have not encountered any errors or compatibility issues so far in the apps below. So far I'm very happy with the performance I'm seeing as well. 

Note that for each app I went to Finder and flipped the Get Info > Prefer External GPU switch on. 

Media Encoder:
Compressing a 4K MP4 using the YouTube 4K (H.264) preset and different render modes:
- Software Only: 121 seconds
- GPU (Metal): 152 seconds (this used the internal GPU and not the eGPU– don't use this.)
- GPU (OpenCL): 55 seconds (this used the eGPU – a 2x improvement vs. the CPU)

After Effects:
The eGPU is recognized and as fully supported as an AMD card can be (CUDA features obviously excluded). Effects flagged as GPU-accelerated render on the eGPU as they should.

Premiere Pro:
Playback is accelerated. Dropped a 4K/60P MP4 into a matching sequence and put a Gaussian Blur filter at 100px radius on it. Plays back at full resolution with 0 dropped frames, and with minimal CPU usage– very happy and impressed with this. 

Photoshop:
The eGPU is fully recognized in the Performance preference pane. Testing a Blur Gallery filter on a 1GB PSD, it's definitely using the eGPU and performs very well. I don't have a 3D model on hand to test the 3D features but they appear to be supported in the preferences.

Illustrator:
GPU Preview is active and the eGPU is fully recognized in the Performance preference pane. 

Lightroom CC:
The eGPU is recognized in the preferences and editing a RAW photo shows (very minimal) GPU activity.

Despite no official eGPU support from Adobe, all the apps seem to just treat it like a regular internal GPU– very promising results so far.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
January 16, 2019 11:23 am  

I'm trying Adobe CC 2019 with an eGPU AMD Vega 64. Previews are not accelerated with Ray-tracing only supporting CPU. OpenGL seems to be compatible with the card, but I haven't done anything further with it yet as Previews are not hardware accelerated.

@maxt how can you say its fully supported?

ReplyQuote
maxt
 maxt
(@maxt)
January 16, 2019 2:36 pm  

The ray-traced renderer in AE requires an NVIDIA GPU with CUDA, that's not going to work on the Vega but it has nothing to do with the eGPU.

As I said in my post, it's as fully supported as an AMD GPU can be, which means essentially everything except the ray-traced renderer. This Adobe page outlines the levels of GPU support.

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
January 16, 2019 4:57 pm  

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the link you posted, but I'm not sure. So, NO hardware accelerated previews?

ReplyQuote
maxt
 maxt
(@maxt)
January 16, 2019 6:26 pm  

AE rendering is inherently CPU-based, it only uses the GPU for certain effects (which have an icon next to them and do work with the Vega 64; there's a handful of new ones in AE 2019). My understanding of the ray-traced renderer is that it only uses CUDA to speed up the ray tracing, everything else is still done on the CPU.

For previews while you work, it does use OpenGL and the Vega 64 works fine– that's the "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels" switch in the preferences. It only goes so far though, the CPU is still doing most of the work. There's also Fast Draft mode which apparently also uses the GPU (Vega 64 included) but I don't know much about it beyond what it says at that link.

Hopefully Adobe keeps adding GPU-accelerated effects, and moves away from CUDA since Apple seems committed to AMD GPUs now.

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
January 17, 2019 1:38 pm  

Thank you so much for your update. I'll do some experiments and see how much it helps. Previews not being accelerated much really is a problem!

ReplyQuote
foliage
(@foliage)
January 25, 2019 10:35 pm  

Thanks for this - do you have access to Lightroom Classic CC? Would be really interested to see if an eGPU can take the stress off of the internal dGPU to stop fans ramping up, as well as any performance improvements.

ReplyQuote
(@anton_gafurov)
February 11, 2019 3:17 pm  
Posted by: ashuk

Thank you so much for your update. I'll do some experiments and see how much it helps. Previews not being accelerated much really is a problem!

Hey, @ashuk. Did you manage to set up the hardware accelerated previews?

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote