[Solved] CUDA and Metal on 1080 TI  

RSS
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

I'm about to bite the bullet and get an eGPU + 1080 TI for my iMac. I've looked through the guides etc. and have a good idea of how this'll work, but just want to check the situation with Metal in particular.

Is Metal fully supported on Nvidia's 1080 TI? And if so, is performance good on macOS 13.2? I'm writing a GPU accelerated path tracer in Metal, so this is kind of critical.

If nobody knows, would anyone running 10.13.2 and a decent nvidia card like to test it? I can send a small app that runs the path tracer and shows the FPS score, simple and easy to test 🙂

I'll need CUDA too for machine learning, but I assume this part is pretty much OK.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2018 1:27 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Welcome aboard @psonice! I moved this topic "Pro Applications" section. Hopefully some of our members will be able to share their experience working with Metal on an Nvidia eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2018 2:37 pm
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member
Posted by: theitsage

Welcome aboard @psonice! I moved this topic "Pro Applications" section. Hopefully some of our members will be able to share their experience working with Metal on an Nvidia eGPU.

Thanks - wasn't sure which to put it under, as this is a bit lower down the stack than applications (but above setup too 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2018 3:04 pm
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

If anyone has an Nvidia GPU (especially a 1080TI, but I guess any 10 series is good) I built a basic benchmarking tool out of my path tracer. You can get it here:

http://interealtime.com/files/MetalBench.zip

It'll run a realtime path tracer at 720p, and shows the active GPU (it uses the system default - I might need to change this if it defaults to the internal GPU) and FPS. It then slowly adjusts the ray count until it's running at ~30fps. Wait a while for the 'average MRays / second' to stabilise, this is the performance figure.  My Radeon 295X does about 1.1 billion rays per second, not bad 🙂

I'm just interested in whether it works or not here, I'll open a new thread for the tool as it'll be useful for benchmarking I think, as it uses near zero bandwidth and therefore shows the raw GPU compute performance of the card.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 11:38 am
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

Question answered: both metal and cuda are supported.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2018 9:10 am
external
(@external)

I did a test with your MetalBench App. Really Nice! I get 5000 MRays/second on a cMP 2010 with 1080ti. Are you still working on the Metal Path Tracer?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2019 4:21 pm