General Discussions
Da Vinci Resolve - No benefit with eGPU 1080Ti

Da Vinci Resolve - No benefit with eGPU 1080Ti  

RSS

gprimeteam
(@gprimeteam)

Dear All,

Thanks for reading 🙂

I have a Mac Pro 2013 - 64GB - High Sierra 10.13.5 - for Da Vinci Resolve Studio, latest version.

It was hard to work with the 2 D500 onboard GPU, so I decided to go ahead with a Sonnet Enclosure + TB3 to TB2 adapter, and a 1080Ti 11GB from MSI (Armor).

I used a script from here to install everything, and it worked, I connected my 4K monitor to the new GPU, all right... Thanks to the author of the script 🙂

But in Resolve, even if I change to "Cuda" and select the 1080, nothing change, still slow, and laggy.

The best settings for now is when I choose "Metal" and select the 3 card (1080Ti + 2xD500).

If you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, dont hesitate, let me know !

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,
GP

nMP 2013 - 10.13.5 - Sonnet Enclosure + 1080Ti and TB3 to TB2 adapter.
MP2010 - 10.13.4 - 1080Ti PCI.
Coming Soon : i7 8700k - Win10 - 1080Ti
All dedicated to Da Vinci Resolve

ReplyQuote
Antoine
(@antoine)
Trusted Member

@gprimeteamIn my experience, DR is very well optimised for eGPU. I could add that is optimised to use both your internal GPU + the external one (eGPU), which is not so true with FCPX, for example (see some of my tests). But I have different configuration than yours but I've read that DR is very welcome with CUDA. I also read that TB2 bandwidth restriction is not a major issue. I assume you are on the latest DR 14.3

2017 15" MBP 3.1 MHz RP560 + AMD Vega FE [email protected] (Breakaway 350 + SF600) + macOS 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
gprimeteam
(@gprimeteam)

Hi Antoine, and thanks for your reply.

I will check your tests, thanks for the link 🙂

Actually, the render time is better with Metal on my 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro, so it take advantage of the 2xD500 builtin + the 1080ti in the Sonnet eGPU box.

But is not far far away from the builtin setup... For +/- 1300$, I expected more power than that. I also tried CUDA alone, same "issue".

Do I have to update CUDA ? I used the fr34k script, do you think this one installed CUDA or only the nVidia Webdrivers ???

Moreover : I'm with the latest DVR 15, still in Beta. Do you think I have to go with an old stable release ?
I can try, I'm still in a "test mode" but in a couple of weeks, I will start the project I'm working in, and the machines must be 100% working at least for September.

Best regards,
GP

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

Nvidia drivers for Mac are garbage. It makes sense they were destined for a trash can.

I don't suppose the program has OpenCL binding? Apple writes their own drivers for AMD GPUs, and they work a lot better.

I know this from my friend with a Sonnet 550 eGPU (RX480) and 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
gprimeteam
(@gprimeteam)

Hi and thanks for your message.

What is crazy it's that the Sonnet + 1080ti works better on Resolve and a Macbook Pro Touchbar from this year than the "old" Mac Pro trashcan from 2013...
Wwich is more powerfull than the macbook...!

I'm totally lost ?

I'm going to receive my component for the PC, will try Win10.

KR,
GP

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

The weak link in your setup is the trashcan. It is not "more powerful" than the 2018 (15") MacBook Pro, other than from a core count standpoint potentially. 

I know some scripts have been set up and combined here to get TB2 Macs working with eGPU, but as you've already seen, the same box and GPU + a more modern TB3 Mac, gets you a better result with the same software.

The best thing anyone in here can do if they're using a Mac, is to start with a TB3 Mac, if at all possible. I can confirm Resolve 14 / 15 work with eGPU and eGPU+dGPU when run on 10.13.4 or later and a TB3 Mac. Mostly the benefit comes when stacking and previewing effects on the timeline. I haven't tried an NVIDIA card because only recently did goalque's script start working more reliably, but for sure you can get some mileage from a solid AMD card like a RX 580 8GB or RX Vega 56. If you have a eGPU with a 600+ watt PSU, RX Radeon 64 Vega will work to.

Absent that if you're going PC, skip the eGPU part and just get a  PC desktop with multiple GPUs built into it. That will run better than anything you see in this forum generally. Puget Systems is an excellent source with great support team. For some things, there will simply be no substitute for that. Possibly the new Mac Pro will compete on the GPU field but I doubt it. Likely will be only one installed at a time (even if modular) and likely only AMD supported. Which for some apps / renderers is a no-go.

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc

Antoine liked
ReplyQuote
Antoine
(@antoine)
Trusted Member

@gprimeteam, I would respond to us as @chippy-mcchipset did although I'm not quite sure TB2 vs TB3 makes a lot difference, I recommend to use AMD cards in Mac OSX as the drivers are a lot more optimised than NVIDIA ones. Also try to connect the external monitor to the eGPU or to the MacPro and see if there's any benefit as I experienced that in a TB3 Mac with external monitor connected to eGPU offers better performance but in TB2 mac maybe not.  

2017 15" MBP 3.1 MHz RP560 + AMD Vega FE [email protected] (Breakaway 350 + SF600) + macOS 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
gprimeteam
(@gprimeteam)

Hi there and thanks to all 🙂

I'm currently testing...

4K monitor in HDMI to the trashcan, eGPU with 1080ti attached, CUDA selected in Resolve : For now, this is the best result with this Mac Pro.

I'm going to receive the mobo for the PC, will try to see if it's works better and I will add a second 1080ti, and let you know.

FYI : I choosed nVidia because I've read it's better for Resolve, even if I know AMD is more natively suported by OSX...

Thanks again and best regards,
GP

ReplyQuote