eGPU with late 2016 MBP for deep learning

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU with late 2016 MBP for deep learning  

RSS

adamml
(@adamml)

I've got a late 2016 15" MBP that I'd like to add an eGPU to. Everything I've read has said that to use an eGPU with these machines you have to use an external monitor. However, I'm not going to be using it for graphic acceleration, it will be used for deep learning applications, mostly in Python and Matlab. So if the eGPU is only being used for calculation, do I need the external display? Or is that just required for displaying accelerated graphics?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@adamml I moved your thread to the Pro Applications section. Do you know Matlab has native support for OpenCL yet? Last I checked, it uses CUDA in which case Nvidia GPUs would be a better choice. OpenCL apps can utilize an eGPU without an external display.

We also have a workaround to accelerate the internal display with the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
zz2k9
(@zz2k9)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dng88
(@dng88)

Good news: It work at least for my old MBP 2013 even without the external display port. 

Bad news: So far it is slower than my Nvidia built-in cuda!  Not sure why.  Still investigate.  

Bad news not related to you but me: My M Air 2014 so far can display but not cuda.

ReplyQuote