Clear all

Final Cut Pro finally gets new Metal engine and GPU selection  

of  4
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Changelog (10.4.7)

• New Metal-based processing engine improves playback and accelerates graphics tasks including rendering, compositing, real-time effects, exporting, and more

• Enhances graphics performance with support for multiple GPUs including Radeon Pro Vega II and Radeon Pro Vega II Duo on Mac Pro

• Optimizes CPU performance with support for up to 28 CPU cores on Mac Pro

• Accelerates ProRes and ProRes RAW playback when using the Afterburner card on Mac Pro

• View, edit, grade, and deliver stunning High Dynamic Range video on Pro Display XDR

• Connect Pro Display XDR with a single Thunderbolt cable to use as a display or reference monitor

• Simultaneously use up to three Pro Display XDR units connected to Mac Pro — two for the Final Cut Pro interface and one for dedicated monitoring

• Grade High Dynamic Range video with enhanced color mask and range isolation tools

• View High Dynamic Range video tone-mapped to compatible Standard Dynamic Range displays when using Final Cut Pro on macOS Catalina

• Select which internal or external GPU is used to accelerate graphics processing

Article: https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/07/final-cut-pro-x-10-4-7-updated-with-new-metal-engine-for-increased-performance-and-gpu-selection/

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@mac_editor Doesn't say how many GPUs are supported. Is Catalina limited to 4?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@joevt

Not sure. I'm not even sure how to leverage multi-GPUs either. I only get the option to choose between my one internal dGPU and one eGPU as shown below. I'll try with another eGPU attached. With @itsage's tests, it seems the max eGPUs were still at 4 - but with the Mac Pro, this limit would not make sense given how much one could potentially expand.

Screen Shot 2019 10 07 at 1.55.59 PM

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So optical flow uses all GPUs - but IIRC this was previously true as well. Ironically, the new version for some reason uses the internal GPU for export/share even though I've selected the External GPU as my Render/Share GPU. Perhaps others could chime in.

Screen Shot 2019 10 07 at 2.49.30 PM

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor Thank you for sharing this update! Do you have the ability to try with an external monitor with the MacBook Pro in clamshell mode? The Activity Monitor screenshot showed eGPUs not being used much compared to iGPU and dGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

I was in clamshell mode during the tests. With regard to less eGPU % utilization, I recall seeing this previously as well. I am not sure what's at play here, but is possible that the underlying optical flow analysis algorithm prefers the internal GPU for reasons (bandwidth?). Perhaps an interesting way to test would be to first get normal readings of H2D and D2H bandwidths for each of the GPUs using Cl!ng. Then run optical flow and observe decrease in bandwidth per GPU. Will try this and report back shortly.

For timeline performance, the GPU connected to the display on which the application is launched (essentially the main display) is used. In my case, both displays are plugged into the Vega 64 - hence it's used for timeline performance.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage This test was to observe bandwidth fluctuations for GPUs during optical flow analysis in Final Cut Pro. Ideally, highly fluctuating values imply high data transaction between CPU-GPU.

Final Cut Pro Optical Flow Bandwidth Fluctuation Comparisons

RX Vega 64 Normal

R9 Fury Normal

Radeon Pro 560X Normal

Intel UHD 630 Normal

RX Vega 64 During Analysis

R9 Fury During Analysis

Radeon Pro 560X During Analysis

Intel UHD 630 During Analysis

The Intel GPU had the most fluctuating bandwidth (especially in terms of absolute bandwidth difference vs. normal), potentially indicating high bandwidth needs for optical flow analysis. Note that we would not get consistent lower H2D/D2H readings during render due to variable GPU task scheduling and periodicity, as bandwidth computation is also probably a periodic task.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Michal Dudkowski
(@majkelos)

@mac_editor

In my case, rendering is on internal iGPU too, instead of selected external Vega56 🙁

MacBook Pro 16" 2020, Touchbar, i9 2,4 Ghz, 8 Cores, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD
Mantiz Venus with AMD Radeon RX 56 8GB
Catalina 10.15.5

ReplyQuote
Thomas S
(@thomas-s)

Defaulting to the internal GPU seems to be format related in FCPX 10.4.7.  Selecting any of the Apple Devices presets for h.264 and HEVC seem to use the internal GPU and ignore the eGPU no matter what.

Selecting ProRes or Master with the h.264 codec will use the eGPU for rendering.  So it seems to be encoder related.  Sending to Compressor seems to have the same issue because it is still using the same encoders.

2018 Mac mini 32GB Ram Vega 56 eGPU in Sonnet 550 enclosure.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@thomas-s

Thanks for bringing this up. This makes sense now. Essentially Intel QuickSync is being used - which can be quicker than eGPU.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  4