Notifications
Clear all

HELP: Final Cut Pro X crashing with 1070 Pascal GPU  

of  2
  RSS

Pupkins
(@pupkins)

Hello all,

I was able to get my 1070 up and running in the latest MacOS 10.12.14, in a Razer Core. Everything is working great, except for Final Cut Pro X (latest version). It crashes immediately upon opening with the following error:

Application Specific Information:

[FFHGRendererInfo initWithLocation:] CGLSetVirtualScreen failed - didn't expect to get here. Investigate why this code ran: [FFHGRendererInfo initWithLocation:] CGLSetVirtualScreen failed: loc=1, ctxt=0x7fda83c36400, err=10008

-[FFRendererInfo initWithLocation:], /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Flexo/Flexo-30110.2.7/framework/image/FFHGRendererManager.mm:341

abort() called

Has anyone had success with Pascal cards and FCPX? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

I'll test fcpx and some other accelerated apps later tonight with my 1070 in a thunder3. I'll get back to you.

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 + PowerColor Mini eGFX 180F via Apple TB3 to TB2 + macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + GTX1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder3 via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 // lots of benchmarks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

Morning. 

Launching fcpx, compressor, motion etc went without any problem. Imported media, added correction and saved went very well. 

Exporting began good but then slowed down the computer and finally froze it. 

Rebooted and it went better after that. But experienced the same effect next time. 

Did not have time to a better analysis. The media I used came from a server volume. The export were done to the desktop. 

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 + PowerColor Mini eGFX 180F via Apple TB3 to TB2 + macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + GTX1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder3 via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 // lots of benchmarks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

No problems with series 9x0? Pascal drivers are young on macOS...

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
may
 may
(@may)
Eminent Member

Have you tried to disable integrated gpu? Maybe following helps: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-13-macbook-pro-rx-480-8gb-16gbps-tb2-akitio-node-via-tb3-tb2-adapter-macos-10-12-4/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Pupkins
(@pupkins)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try disabling the igpu and report back.

@ikir Tried a 980ti as well, same issue unfortunately.

Everything else is great, getting excellent benchmark stats

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Pupkins
(@pupkins)

No luck. Tried disabling the iGPU, but I can't figure out which bundles correspond to the latest MBPtb's Intel HD 530. The GL, MTL, or VA driver files I'm supposed to remove don't exist for AppleIntelSKL, which I believe is the correct name? Still troubleshooting... thanks all for the help.

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

@pupkins I would assume the issue you are facing is very similar to the issue that I was experiencing with my setup. I'm not sure if its your iGPU or dGPU files that may be causing the issue. I've checked my extensions folder and have found them in there. Should be the same for your mac. 

• AppleIntelSKLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelSKLGraphicsMTLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelSKLGraphicsVADriver.bundle

Also disable "automatic graphics switching" in the power saving preferences and then reboot.  so that the dedicated GPU doesn't decide to start up. 

So so sorry! I've just checked my script and realised it might've deleted those files (Have fixed it now) If that is the case, click here to download a copy of the driver files along with a script that targets your specific driver files. Please make sure to reboot after doing so.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64@ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member

Hi, I'm on a TITAN Xp and FCPX is my primary NLE. It's about 90% reliable for me, but I have an older Akitio Thunder2-based eGPU, not the Node, so that might be a factor.

Wish I could help you more than just leaving a data point for you here in this thread, lol. 

MAG341CQ 34" Ultrawide // Logitech G900 & HyperX Alloy FPS Pro (MX Blues) // Scarlett 2i4 + Yamaha HS7

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64 LC @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

I ran the BruceX 5K test in FCPX and did let both FCPX and Compressor to export it it works without problems for me.
Only my personal test failed.

If I remember correctly the BruceX 5K test rendered in 40-45-ish seconds. That is on a mac mini 2012, TB->TB3 adapter to a Thunder3 chassi, housing a 1070 card.

Will test some more later on.

ReplyQuote
 of  2