iMac 5K + eGPU: Application Improvements in macOS (AMD Radeon 575 Pro + AMD RX 5...

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 5K + eGPU: Application Improvements in macOS (AMD Radeon 575 Pro + AMD RX 580)  

RSS

ruslan
(@ruslan)

I was wondering whether an external graphics card is worth it / whether certain applications are intelligent enough to load balance between internal graphics and external graphics (on an iMac with already-capable internals).

I couldn't find an answer so I did some benchmarks. 

Final Cut Pro [Stabilization Test]: 11% speed up

This topic was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
galad
(@galad)

It doesn't work that way, macOS doesn't load balance anything. It's up to the app to send part of the work to each gpu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ruslan
(@ruslan)

Ah apologies, you’re right, meant to say “an app that I tested with in MacOS, an app specifically called ‘Final Cut Pro’ “. Thanks for the correction

Fixed*

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote