Looking for a working setup for Adobe CC 2018  

RSS
(@russell_alboroto)

Hey guys, I'm looking for a setup that is fully supported by Adobe CC. I'm hoping to use it with my 2017 MacBook Pro. Budget isn't an issue since my company will be paying for it. My work will mainly be with Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, and After Effects. I've read around and noticed that the RX 580 works natively but I want a group consensus. Any input would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 8, 2018 4:17 pm
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

When I had my 1070 set up in macOS my CC apps didn't detect it... might have just been me but worth doing some research on if they eve can use an eGPU.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2018 9:45 am
(@agris)
Eminent Member

Offcourse get a AMD card. rx Vega preferrably. And even with AMD you'll have to wait until adobe apps start supporting egpu. But probably soon after Mac Os supports them officially.

MBP 15' mid 2015

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2018 10:37 am
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

The thing is much of Adobe's stuff — especially Premiere Pro and AE — are built for NVIDIA. Unfortunately no signs right now Apple is going to support NVIDIA soon (but they definitely might with upcoming OS like 10.14). I would say your safest, out of the box option which will give much better performance than the RX 580 is a Sonnet 650 box with Vega 64 card. Then later when there's NVIDIA support, if you're doing a lot of Premiere work you can either get another eGPU or sell your Vega card and get the latest NVIDIA equivalent. Like the upcoming 20x0 series (allegedly) so a 2080 Ti or whatever they're going to call it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 11:54 pm
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

My configuration is a MacBook Pro 13" (TB) late 2016 with Akitio Node and XFX RX480, MacOS 10.13.4 (17E170c) and I use Photoshop CC 2018 and unfortunately it doesn't detect my RX480...

But under 3D setting I see this:

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 10, 2018 7:24 am
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

I can confirm that behavior as well. It appears there is partial support even within apps. So Photoshop's 3D functionalities support it, but not the regular set of filters and imaging commands. Pr and AE don't appear to support it at all. In fact I've witnessed crashing on multiple setups with that. ID and AI don't seem to be eGPU-aware either.

Most likely: 
1) We'll have to wait for official Apple support and then...
2) Some number of weeks or months later, official Adobe support, and for AMD GPUs only probably — so only useful for those functions with are not CUDA-only. In the case of PR things like RT previewing R3D footage require CUDA / don't work on AMD (as it is, eGPU or not).

Never tried it on PC (an actual PC, not BootCamp) so could be eGPU + Adobe CC works on Windows 10, including CUDA. Would be good to read about those experiences here if anyone has them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2018 8:33 pm fizzlewizzle and theitsage liked
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Photoshop does make use of AMD GPUs for effects, textures, brushes etc, correct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2018 6:05 am
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
Posted by: dream3

Photoshop does make use of AMD GPUs for effects, textures, brushes etc, correct?

I believe as far as eGPU is concerned, only the 3D functionality in Photoshop will use the external GPU. For GPUs in general, there are a number of OpenCL-acclerated filters but I don't know which ones off the top. You'd have to check the Adobe requirements page for Photoshop CC 2018. They usually list the filters that are accelerated and the cards per platform — but the thing to note is that they are assuming the card is installed inside the computer (as far as their documentation goes). 

Adobe just released some updates today but I don't see anything to suggest eGPU support has been added, at least not on Mac. If anyone here is going to NAB, Adobe reps there might be able to comment on eGPU / what their plans are — at least for Premiere Pro and AE. Not sure if there is any Photoshop presence at NAB.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2018 9:24 pm
fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)

I invested in Mantiz Venus and a RX Vega 64 for my 2016 15in MacBook Pro. High Sierra recognized it natively and I am getting 4K 60 FPS on my external display and it was plug and play. However, Pr Pro, After Effects don’t make much if any use of it. I’m talking potentially ideal speeds I don’t hear the card reveimg up. I have to use the Metal engine in Premiere Pro which I get mediocre results with. I am seeing usage under Activity Monitor in Photoshop, Illistrator, Lightroom and InDesign but, don’t know how significant it is. The RX Vega 64 shows up in the preferences/sequence settings menu, but it really isn’t using it. At least not to it’s fullest potential. 

Not a gamer so can’t confirm those stats. But, those results seem good as there is support. 

This info isn’t really around as not a lot of those in the corporate world get to experiment with this but if I share my screen in Skype for Business I get poor results. A frame a second or so and my Bluetooth headset and FaceTime camera crash after a few minutes. 

I am am very interested in the Nvidia results if the Adobe programs actually read the eGPU in High Sierra. Haven’t found that info yet.. If it does, I’d sell and invest in that. The SIP disable and risk of crashes make me a bit worried about my downtime. For now, it is going to sit here as is until support happens. I still get the Ethernet Port, USB ports, and SATA slot for an SSD. 

I would not recommend an AMD eGPU right now if you are looking for Adobe CC on MacOS. I’d wait. 

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2018 3:38 am
jmhogge869
(@jmhogge869)

I wanted to chime in here as well.  I have had a similar experience to fizzlewizzle - 2017 MacBook Pro (the non Touch Bar model), Sonnet Breakaway Box 350w + AMD RX580.  High Sierra recognizes the setup immediately.  Adobe apps see the card as well...I can't speak to Premiere Pro; I'm a designer who mainly uses Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign professionally.  Frankly I know these apps are CPU dependent. But had some hopes for 3D in Photoshop.  I'm doing the way finding for a conference, and was going to include some very large 3D design work....however when I went to render a relatively simple scene photoshop said it would take 12 hours to finish - insane.  I ended up exporting the layer to Blender and it did the same work in 10m using the GPU.  Crazy.

Anyway, my cinebench score with the EGPU is 77fps, vs 41 fps for the Iris plus 640 graphics.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 3:03 pm fizzlewizzle liked