MacPro w/NVIDIA 1070/ Adobe Applications not Accessing eGPU

MacPro w/NVIDIA 1070/ Adobe Applications not Accessing eGPU  

RSS

spaghettibetty
(@spaghettibetty)

Hey there, 

I'm new to this. This forum is incredible, I've been following it for about a year and finally got an external gpu set up today!

Working with a MacPro late 2013 with 2X AMD Fire D700

Connected a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 to a Sonnet Breakaway 550
TB3–TB2 into the MacPro. 
2 Monitors set up using TB2 to Display Ports out of the MacPro

I first ran the PurgeWrangler script
Then downloaded and installed the webdriver.sh using homebrew
Then used fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh (v0.2α) script

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.5 

My system report says its there, so I thought I was ok but when I run my adobe apps and check the performance they are still using the AMD D700's. 

How can I tell the computer to switch over to use another graphics card specifically when running adobe applications ( won't be rendering for a while but was hoping to still get to access the new GPU for other things) 

Also, should I bother with the NVIDIA 1070? I was under the impression Adobe's Suite runs a lot better on NVIDIA so I went that way but since AMD is more "supported" in the Mac world should I switch it out for an AMD? (open to suggestions, I think I got a little in over my head with this )

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
firestarter451f
(@firestarter451f)

@spaghettibetty have you tried changing the graphics processor in the Prefereces->Performance panel -> Graphics Processor Settings? (in photoshop) Does your eGPU card appears in those options?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
spaghettibetty
(@spaghettibetty)

hey @firestarter451f I checked the tab in photoshop you mentioned but it doesn't allow me to change anything it just says detected "graphics process processor:" then lists AMD Radeon HD - FirePro... I checked "Advanced Settings" underneath that but nothing about changing the Graphics Processor.

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Adobe does not officially support eGPUs. That means you can just render the programs window with the eGPU when it is connected to an external display and you're using PS on this external display. But this does not accelerate the background activities like rendering the images etc. 

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member

Adobe apps should use your eGPU if you have the external displays connected directly to the eGPU. If you're driving the external displays off your Mac's own Thunderbolt 2 ports, it will use your Mac's own GPU.

For example, here is Photoshop detecting and using my eGPU on my 2016 MBP with my external display connected straight to the eGPU:

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, modded with 650W PSU, with Radeon RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
spaghettibetty
(@spaghettibetty)

@nanobit @detunedradios Thanks! Bummer about Adobe not supporting eGPU but when I connect the display to the eGPU it detects it fine. Do you think Adobe would support eGPU in the future? I have 2 AMD cards built in to the computer and I think adobe is only using 1 card instead of both. I'm not totally sure about this stuff but it feels like switching to PC instead of MAC is a better way to get slick performance out of indesign, photoshop, illustrator and lightroom ( my files seem to always slow down each application ) which to me seems unreasonable. thanks for the all the help again! Super easy to follow along for the set up. 

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Try this:

[SCRIPT] Accelerate All Applications On eGPU - macOS 10.13.4+

Not sure what it will do (may vary by application), but worth a shot until we have CC 2019, which I'm sure will add eGPU awareness for its apps. At least I hope so.

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc

ReplyQuote