Photoshop 2020 doesn't use dGPU or eGPU for acceleration

Notifications
Clear all

Photoshop 2020 doesn't use dGPU or eGPU for acceleration  

RSS

craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

For a few years I've always had trouble with Photoshop running smoothly on a MacBook Pro without causing massive throttling and lately that just got worse and worse and worse, to the point that using a MacBook Pro was causing me stress or financial loss. The Radeon VII eGPU helped a little, not much to make a difference. Switching to the officially supported 5700 XT eGPU has done nothing to help.

Looking at the Activity Monitor we can see the problem quite clearly. Whereas on Windows the GPU will accelerate every operation and tool, on macOS the CPU is doing nearly all the work and the GPU is doing almost nothing. The same goes for the internal dGPU and the eGPU. 

I present my system energy settings attached, my Photoshop Performance settings, and the Activity Monitor. In the screenshots we see that Photoshop is consuming up to 90% of CPU resources for the most basic functions such as brushing, cloning, transforming, moving layers. The dGPU and eGPU is only hitting between 5-20% utilisation and most of that isn't Photoshop but the Window Server. Performing the exact same test on Windows, we see CPU never goes higher than 10% and the GPU utilisation is 50-60%.

Unless Adobe remedies this situation ASAP, I can't recommend that creatives and creators waste their money on an eGPU for this set up. 

Greatly appreciated if everyone reading this can perform the same test and provide screenshots of the same. Will be interesting to see if dGPU in iMacs and Mac Pros are also not being utilised. I've read a few comments online over the years and would like Adobe to understand this isn't acceptable.

8576 Screenshot 2019 12 17 at 201355
8577 Screenshot 2019 12 17 at 201321
8578 Screenshot 2019 12 17 at 201219
Screenshot 2019 12 17 at 20.10.41
Screenshot 2019 12 17 at 20.11.11
This topic was modified 5 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I just try to avoid adobe products in general. I hate their subscription model.

sorry that’s of no use to you...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@megaseppl)
Eminent Member

Have you already tried to downgrade to version 2019? Others have reported that the speed increased dramatically after returning to the older version:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-running-slow/td-p/10719152?profile.language=de

I can check this evening (MEZ) if I have the same problems with version 2020.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @megaseppl

Have you already tried to downgrade to version 2019? Others have reported that the speed increased dramatically after returning to the older version:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-running-slow/td-p/10719152?profile.language=de

I can check this evening (MEZ) if I have the same problems with version 2020.

I could check, but I'd rather move forward and have this performance issue fixed. If I go back to an old version I could be giving up new features and be landed with other types of bugs. If we take steps back and don't pressure corporations to fix their mess then we aren't progressing. It's useful sometimes, but it breeds complacency.

This post was modified 5 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@megaseppl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @craftsman

I could check, but I'd rather move forward and have this performance issue fixed. If I go back to an old version I could be giving up new features and be landed with other types of bugs. If we take steps back and don't pressure corporations to fix their mess then we aren't progressing. It's useful sometimes, but it breeds complacency.

Checking the old version does not automatically mean to change back to the old version. It just could help finding a solution. I think you even can install both versions side by side to compare them and use PS Automation with a batch job (with GPU tasks) and Activity Monitor to measure speed and response time. This info even could help Adobe to fix that problem. It's easier to tell them that something that already worked is broken now, than to tell them that it's just slower than it should be.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

@megaseppl

I already reported it to Adobe. Just wanted more people to post their Activity Monitor here with different configurations so we have more evidence.

ReplyQuote