Photoshop 2020 & Navi GPU's

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Photoshop 2020 & Navi GPU's  

RSS

Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

Does it suck for everyone else? My setup is in my signature and I can't use any version of Photoshop CC 2020 (specifically 21.2.0 but I've tried them all) without major graphical glitches. I've messed with every preference setting in the damn thing for hours. I've spent hours chatting with tech support. I've even had them remote into my mac mini 3 times with no solution reached. The oldest update they had around was the final update for ps 2019 (20.0.9) and it works flawlessly with my 5700xt

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Photoshop on macOS makes bare minimum use of GPU except when running OpenCL accelerated actions such as batch resizing. Test the brushes and stamp tool with Activity Monitor open and you'll see that even paint strokes will use 100% of the CPU and almost nothing on the GPU. Contrast that with Windows where it is about 10% CPU and 20-30% GPU.

This post was modified 4 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

@craftsman

In truth, you're right. But in real-world use, I will have to disagree. An egpu with my setup makes a massive difference. All tools display smoother with actions happening in real time. My most common tools being healing, clone and brush tools. I also use a lot of adjustment layers and there are some glitches with those as well. Without an egpu with my ultra wide 5k, the experience isn't optimal. That said, after a few more days of troubleshooting, it's not an egpu issue but a photoshop issue. Many of the issues I was having, other users were reporting on adobe forums with users having all different types of computer setups. I think it was just a perfect storm of getting the new gpu and newest version of photoshop. I went back to 2019 and it runs flawlessly now. 

TLDR: Went back to photoshop 2019, all is well again.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote