Premiere Pro running Slower with eGPU - Help Needed
 
Notifications

Premiere Pro running Slower with eGPU - Help Needed  

  RSS

TrentHilborn
(@trenthilborn)
New Member
Joined: 3 months ago
 

Hey Everyone,

I recently picked up a Razer Core X Chroma and a Sapphire Radeon VII 16GB card to plug and play with my 15-inch Late 2016 MBP - 2.9 GHZ Quad-Core i7. I initially tested it out on some games and was getting up to 100% utilization. Then I tried it in Premiere Pro and was getting worse performance than my internal AMD Radeon Pro 460. Nevermore than 9% utilization.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 and have the latest version of Premiere Pro 14.0.

I've checked the "prefer eGPU" box, I've played with both Metal and Open CL in Premiere and my external monitor is being powered via display port so my lid is closed. I've got a 40GBPS TB3.1 cord connecting my computer to the eGPU. I've swapped sides with the cord so it was accessing different thunderbolt Bus connectors and yet I've had no luck.

So with all that being said, does PP 14.0 not offer any benefit? Or am I missing something?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts


ReplyQuote
swithdrawn
(@swithdrawn)
Active Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

I have this issue as well with my mid-2018 MBP. I think there is something up with the Radeon VII or perhaps the latest version of Premiere, though I don't have another card on-hand to test. 

I used to run a Vega 64 eGPU and it would result in improved performance (admittedly never huge). With the Radeon VII, export times are considerably longer, it never utilizes more than 2 percent, and playback speeds in the app are terrible. 

XFX Radeon VII, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 (with upgraded PSU), mid-2018 MacBook Pro 15" (2.9Ghz 6-core i9, 32GB Ram)


ReplyQuote
swithdrawn
(@swithdrawn)
Active Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

After further testing, it appears this is isolated to Premiere Pro 2020. 2019 (13.1.5) handles the Radeon VII as expected

Playback is normal, and export times are significantly reduced on my simple test scene (00:59 vs 3:51). I achieved 40 percent utilization (it could have been more, I imagine it's because the test scene is relatively simple 1080p ProRes with some stacked lumetri nodes). 

I've filed a bug report and suggest you do as well 🙂 https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

This post was modified 2 months ago

XFX Radeon VII, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 (with upgraded PSU), mid-2018 MacBook Pro 15" (2.9Ghz 6-core i9, 32GB Ram)


ReplyQuote