Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Akitio node with evga 1080 ti ftw3 hybrid

Akitio node with evga 1080 ti ftw3 hybrid  

RSS

Ishtpreet Singh Hira
(@ishtpreet_singh_hira)

I wanted to ask will evga 1080 ti ftw3 hybrid (850$) fit in akitio node and also will its radiator fan fit in place of akitio node default fan

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

I don't see why not, found this with a search.  If a Titan can fit then a 1080Ti can, too.

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-node-hybrid-cooler-orientation/#post-5806

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Fitment will be fine as @drax392 has linked to the topic on how you can mount the radiator to the Node’s fan bracket. You may need to upgrade the power supply though. Here’s a photo of my GTX 980 Ti Hybrid mounted to the AKiTiO Node. I flipped the fan bracket around and attached the radiator with the cooling lines on top.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

drax392 liked
ReplyQuote
(@arcanefire)

It can be done, with a lot of frustrations.

1. You need to change the PSU, the stock PSU won't sustain a 1080 TI.

2. The water block radiator won't fit into the stock fan bracket. In Sage's photo the bracket was reversed to install the radiator, but with a ftw3 there is not enough room for that way. I had to switch the fan and the radiator to barely fit it into the bracket.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MqJj4O1DwrxXxCye2

I'm running at stable 65 Celsius without the hulk. With the hulk on, the GPU temp can easily hit 80 due while the power and memory still remains at ~ 70 (the memory fan will just blow all the hot air to the liquid radiator, by the end of the day all the hot air has to be relied on the radiator fan).

IMO Akitio node is not designed to handle a 1080ti in the first place, mainly due to the PSU and poor ventilation design. I wish I had bought a Auros box and be done with it.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

Posted by: arc

It can be done, with a lot of frustrations.

1. You need to change the PSU, the stock PSU won't sustain a 1080 TI.

IMO Akitio node is not designed to handle a 1080ti in the first place, mainly due to the PSU and poor ventilation design. I wish I had bought a Auros box and be done with it.

I have to disagree with this assessment, my factory-stock Node had no problem whatsoever powering my EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Gaming under all loads.  It was 100% plug-and-play.  Maybe the power draw from the water pump combined with the GPU itself is too much?  Not sure, all I know is the Node powers air-cooled 1080Ti cards just fine.  In fact, the AORUS box comes with a 450W PSU, just like the Node.  There's no reason to think the AORUS box would work any better than the Node, stock for stock.

The only reason I replaced my PSU was because the factory PSU was too loud.

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

ReplyQuote
(@arcanefire)

Previously I threw a zotac 1080 ti amp extreme there, the PSU will automatically shut down using stock OC settings. I had to reduce the core clock to prevent it from turning off.

Fairly speaking the node is a decent eGPU box given the price, but a 1080ti might just be too much for the PSU and ventilation (with the hulk on) to work well (also you'll get more performance loss). I would have bought an air-cooled 1070 if I were to choose today (which is good enough to run most games in 1080P at 60 hz with high graph settings), but that would make the Aorus box a better choice due to better mobility and more slick design.

ReplyQuote
milkyjoe2
(@milkyjoe2)
Eminent Member

my akitio node powers my fan cooled gigabyte g1 gaming 1080 all day long 9x out of 10... except there are occasions when it hard freezes requiring forced shutdown. it's clear that it can power it all the time while gaming, but randomly, if a game is not running, like GTA V, WW2 or Doom, it will do the system freeze.  could i save on buying a PSU by underclocking or undervolting? how would i do it

ReplyQuote