Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070

[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070  

of  2
  RSS

harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

I have the AORUS 1080 box and I use it to play Prey and Wolfenstein II on my 2017 MBP. I like the fact that it's all relatively portable and I can take the laptop and the box and play on the TV or on my computer monitor. The only problem? Fan noise.

If you want to replace the fans here's how:

First the box itself has two fans next to the PSU and on the other side of the video card. These serve to expel the hot air that would otherwise be trapped between the GTX1080 and the PSU. The fans are 40mmx10mm PowerLogic and are LOUD. The PSU fan is an ADDA (they make quality fans) but still unnecessarily loud. IMHO, Gigabyte could have used a PSU with a temp controlled fan and they could have used 80 mm / 92mm fans either on the front panel or on the sides. Why they chose to build the box in this manner is beyond me.

Side fans: (note that they're 2-pin, wired in parallel and the leads are short). These come from PowerLogic. I have not been able to figure out their CFM rating but it seems to be pretty high - like definitely 6-7 CFM.

PSU fan: From ADDA US the specs are 8.8 CFM @ 7800 RPM and 36dBA (  http://www.adda.com.tw/data/file/AD4020.pdf)

Replacement fans. I wanted to choose replacement fans that were high quality, didn't cost a small fortune (e.g.: the Noctua fans were priced at 3x the cost of the Scythe replacements) and were 2-pin.

Replacement Side fans: I chose Scythe SY12124010L. These do 4.11 CFM @ 14dB and 3500rpm ( http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/mini-kaze.html) and don't cost that much. This is what they look like wired in parallel and with the proper connector.

Replacement PSU fan: Sunon KDE1204PKV1: This does 8.9 CFM @ 25.5 dB and 7200 rpm. It's a lot quieter and smoother than the ADDA. The new Sunon fans have different model numbers but are functionally equivalent.

DO NOT replace the PSU fan with one that has a much lower CFM rating - doing so is asking for trouble. The PSU is very compact and runs hot. It needs the cooling fan!

All the fans in the AORUS box have JST PH 2-pin headers. Which means they look like this:

If you're working with RC batteries, Raspberry PI or Arduino - these should be familiar. If not - grab a crimping tool (any will do - for example the IWISS SN-2549 or the Engineer PA-09). Grab whatever crimping tool you like and crimp 2-pin connectors to the fans. Measure the lead length so that it is a perfect fit. There's not much space either in the PSU or the box itself. Shorter leads will mean the fan wont fit and longer leads are not particularly safe or useful - especially in the PSU. 

Side cooling: AC Infinity 120mm USB fan: 52CFM @ 18dB and 1300 rpm. This is a USB fan that conveniently runs off one of the the USB ports on the AORUS 1080, and extracts the hot air from the video card and the PSU. It's super quiet, I run it at low or mid and cannot hear it over the GPU fan. It makes a big difference to the overall box temps. Before this I was considering swapping out the top side fan for a Scythe 40mmx20mm. A 20mm thick fan will not fit in the lower fan slot. However this is now unnecessary.

Does all this work? Here's my GPU temps running Prey maxed out at 4K:

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

T430up, Arzen, comfycat and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Excellent work! Thank you for documenting and sharing the fan replacement process in the AORUS Gaming Box.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Awesome! Thanks very much harshw!

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
Markus Koepke
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the guide 1What kind of performance are you getting on your Macbook, fps / resolution wise on Prey? I have the same machine and will be getting the Gaming box 1080 soon. Was wondering if purchasing a 4K screen makes sense? Will the Macbook get to 60fps on 4k with the box?

Oh, and another (potentially dumb) question regarding your fan replacement: did you attach the "AC Infinity 120mm USB fan" to the outside of the box, as shown in the picture? or does the box have a big fan like this inside which you swapped out? In case of the former, how did you attach the fan to the outside – and is it not inconvenient? Is it necessary to add this fan when switching out the other ones? Thanks a lot!

Macbook Pro Touchbar 2017 i7 3.1Ghz Kaby Lake 16GB Ram | Aorus Gaming Box 1080 | HTC Vive | Build guide

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ghostronaut

Thanks for the guide 1What kind of performance are you getting on your Macbook, fps / resolution wise on Prey? I have the same machine and will be getting the Gaming box 1080 soon. Was wondering if purchasing a 4K screen makes sense? Will the Macbook get to 60fps on 4k with the box?

Oh, and another (potentially dumb) question regarding your fan replacement: did you attach the "AC Infinity 120mm USB fan" to the outside of the box, as shown in the picture? or does the box have a big fan like this inside which you swapped out? In case of the former, how did you attach the fan to the outside – and is it not inconvenient? Is it necessary to add this fan when switching out the other ones? Thanks a lot!

I get 50-60 FPS @ 4K and medium detail settings. Be sure to turn vsync off in the game as well. I’ll post some screenshots with the FPS later. Overall the game is quite smooth and I didn’t notice any slowdowns. The real fun is when I can take the MacBookPro and connect it to the GPU and also connect it to my HDTV for some big screen 4K gaming 🙂

As for the 120mm fan - it’s an external fan powered by USB. The enclosure itself only has the two 40mm fans on the side and the one 40mm fan that’s inside the PSU. The GPU has the single 92mm fan attached to it. There are no other fans in the enclosure.

The USB fan comes with a grill on both sides and can stand on its own. Here’s the link:  https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s3-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-120mm/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Markus Koepke
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member

I get 50-60 FPS @ 4K and medium detail settings. Be sure to turn vsync off in the game as well. I’ll post some screenshots with the FPS later. Overall the game is quite smooth and I didn’t notice any slowdowns. The real fun is when I can take the MacBookPro and connect it to the GPU and also connect it to my HDTV for some big screen 4K gaming 🙂

That sounds great! Do you get that kind of performance on the internal screen or already hooked up to an external display? On reddit some people say the performance is really bad when using the internal screen.

As for the 120mm fan - it’s an external fan powered by USB. The enclosure itself only has the two 40mm fans on the side and the one 40mm fan that’s inside the PSU. The GPU has the single 92mm fan attached to it. There are no other fans in the enclosure.

The USB fan comes with a grill on both sides and can stand on its own. Here’s the link:  https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s3-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-120mm/

I see! So did you get that external fan just to get the entire temps even lower, thus reducing the internal fan speeds – or is it a necessity? Because I would like to keep the box mobile and adding another fan on the outside would kind of bug me, I guess. 

Macbook Pro Touchbar 2017 i7 3.1Ghz Kaby Lake 16GB Ram | Aorus Gaming Box 1080 | HTC Vive | Build guide

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ghostronaut

That sounds great! Do you get that kind of performance on the internal screen or already hooked up to an external display? On reddit some people say the performance is really bad when using the internal screen.

I see! So did you get that external fan just to get the entire temps even lower, thus reducing the internal fan speeds – or is it a necessity? Because I would like to keep the box mobile and adding another fan on the outside would kind of bug me, I guess. 

This is with external monitors. I didn't even try with the internal monitor.

If you don't want the external fan, try putting a Sunon 40mm x 20mm to the TOP of the twin fan config on the side. This is louder (25dB) than the Scythe (14dB) but does 8.9 CFM. Remember the total noise is actually decided by the max dB rating of all the fans. Since you already would have a 25 dB PSU fan, putting one more fan on the side in lieu of the 14dB one will not really affect the overall noise level. Check the GPU temps and the box temps (although you would need a laser thermometer for that). The original side fans are high CFM for a reason 🙂

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Thanks for this guide, may try as you stated, put two 20mm thick sunons, one in the PSU, and the other in the top slot, with they scythe on the lower.  I'm only tempted because I love projects like these.  Because I use a 2m cable, I can tuck the AGB 1070 out of sight and mask the industrial sound it makes after an hour of gaming.  Perhaps with this mod, it will be more pleasant to have on the desk and it's fun to poke around inside and see what this thing is made of.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Partially completed project here.  A few points

I ended up installing two 40x20mm Sunon fans (rated at 8200 RPM/10.2CFM/27 dBA) - so not the same as the OP.  I placed one in the PSU, and the other along with the Scythe 40x10 in the chassis - the screws used to secure the 10mm thick fans don't really work with the 20mm...I ended up using a drill to "countersink" the posts a bit along with a little removable adhesive tape.

IMG 0132

The specific Sunon Maglev I bought was actually louder than stock when running as the chassis fan (but moves a ton of air), so I'm currently using a ~200 ohm resister to cut voltage to around 5V.  The Scythe 10mm fan is very quiet.  I plan to source a new 40x20 and second Scythe.  It's a GDCTech (5800 RPM/8.3CFM/22 dBA) - I think I will end up with the GDCTech in the PSU, an two Scythe 10mm fans for the chassis.

The PSU fan is voltage regulated by the PSU.  It defaults a little over 4V on a cold startup - I don't know what it ramps up to, but it's not the full 12V.  The chassis fans run at 12V from boot as far as I can tell.

The header leads I bought needed to be wired in reverse (so red to black on the fan, and black to red on the fan leads)

Even with my shoddy EE work - the results are an impressive reduction in sound output.  Add to that that the sound profile is more pleasing (it's more whooshing than buzzing or industrial sounding).

Here is table of my results measuring from multiple points

Measurement Before After
6" above trackpad 45 41.6
GTX 1070 Fan 55.4 50.7
PSU Fan 50.3 47.4
Chassis Fan 55.2 50.3
GPU Temp* 75C 73C

* This is after 1 hour of Unigine Heaven Benchmark running on loop

IMG 0122
IMG 0136

Based on the reduced temp under load - I think the two Scythe 10mm fans will be sufficient in the chassis without worry (and no resistor).  Since the PSU regulates voltage on the other fan, my Sunon may stay in there since it can get up to over 10CFM, but I may try the GDCTech in there to see if I can cut sound output even more. I may also leave the PSU alone and put that GDCTech in as the second fan.  Not sure yet.

Update:

I wanted to say I finalized my setup.  I decided to stick with two of these:

Sunon 40x40x20 Fan

The one in the PSU is already voltage regulated - and at 12V max, the fan can be fairly loud, but I'm not noticing that the PSU drives the fan to that voltage(yet).  On the chassis, I used a 1/2 watt 150 ohm resistor to cut the fan noise to a level that's on par with the scythe, but pushes significantly more air.

The GDSTime 40x40x20 is a solid alternative ( GDS Time 40x40x20) , and comes with long post screws which are useful to mount the 20mm fan in the chassis mount.  However, I found it to be loud enough at 12V that it still needed a resistor to cut the RPMs and the overall fan profile was a bit more whiny/buzzy than the Sunon.  Also, I noticed when I put the GDSTime in the PSU, it was VERY quiet, but seemed to push significantly less air.  I'm erring on the side of a fan with higher CFM for now.  

This whole setup is so much quieter, not only in sound output, but there is no industrial sounding buzzing/whirring - it is a much more pleasing sound profile.  Thanks so much to the OP for pioneering the way here!  If anyone has any questions, I'd love to hear them.

I highly recommend this mod for even moderately skilled DIYers - I have no problem gaming with the Aorus Gaming Box right next to the laptop.  For the most part, the laptop speakers completely eclipse the fan noise from the box, and it is actually running cooler now (at least the GPU).

ReplyQuote
WHC
 WHC
(@whc)

Very good work.

Could you kindly advise me about "wired in parallel" between two side fans?

I am now confused because there is only one connector but the fans work together.

i4min liked
ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

@usafballer, amazing work, and thanks a lot for explaining your process and outlining multiple options.

Are you still happy with the setup? I'm planning to work on my new 1080 box, and am looking for a fool-proof setup, as the last time I did DUI work was a few years ago.

If I'm reading your steps correctly, the easiest setup would be:
- Sunon 40x40x20 Fan in the PSU
Scythe SY12124010L as the lower side
GDS Time 40x40x20 as the upper side fan (I wonder how much of a difference it would make to run that without a resistor to simplify setup)

Would it be too much to ask what other tools/parts would be needed for the project? Would I need a crimping tool to replace the connectors on all of these? 
I also wonder if I could get away with using a Noctua NF-A4x10 and Noctua NF-40x20 (4.8CFM + 5.5CFM) on the side, given that 1080 GPU has a larger fan compared to 1070 and would push some more air around the box.

Sorry if some of these questions are naive, any advice is highly appreciated!

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

@harshw So the ac infinity fan is not mounted in the box? just standing there?

@usafballer Do you think that sunon 40x20mm kpvx is less loud than the stock psu fan? Thinking whether it is worth the hassle or not

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

@dream3 I'm not @usafballer, but I did a bit of research and found that Sunon pkvx pushes 10.2 CFM @ 8,200 RPM and 27 dBA. According to OP, stock is 8.8 CFM @ 7800 RPM and 36dBA.

This discussion points out that the difference in noise between 27 and 36 is 10x objectively, which for human ear sounds twice as loud.

I'm very far from a DUI overclocking expert, but judging on pure numbers, the difference would be drastic. Especially if PSU unit regulates fan based on temperature, which would make Sunon operate at lower voltages than stock for the same airflow. Otherwise you can get the PKV1 that has exact airflow of the stock at 25.5 dBA, but it's a bit harder to find, being discontinued.

I went with PKVX, will report in 2 weeks when I have time to install it and test.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

@i4min you are right, the PKVX would be less loud and push more air. However I noticed it requires 1.4W at 12V, so 0.12A instead of the 0.10A from the stock fan.
I do no understand electrical jargon that much but wouldn't that put too much strain on the PSU internals?

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

@dream3 these are such microcurrents that it wouldn't move the needle at all. Besides, both @harshw and @usaballer used Sunons and ran extensive tests - so you shouldn't be worried about stability.

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member

Greetings! Thanks @harshw and @usafballer and everyone else for exploring this mod. I have the opposite problem addressed in this thread: my fans are too quiet!

I have the AORUS Gtx 1080 Gaming Box, running off a 2013 Macbook Pro, via a TB3 > TB2 adapter, and I believe this is throwing the drivers for a loop when I run Windows 10 via Bootcamp. The fans run weakly; it may be that only some of them are getting power, or that they're not getting proper speed adjustments from the drivers. I think the USB ports also don't connect to the laptop, if this is any clue. The main center fan spins and speeds up under load, but it's marginal. Also, the LED lights never come on.

Just for reference, under macOS the same gaming box performers loudly! Lights, fans, USB and everything, so it's just a mix-up under bootcamp Windows 10 which unfortunately is where I do all of my gaming.

So I came upon this thread because I'm thinking about modding the fans as a work around. Alternatively I'll also try messing with the various AORUS apps for changing fan speeds. Any suggestions?

Also wondering, what is that empty 4-pin connection near the 2-pin 40mm fan connection? For more fans perhaps?

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: dream3

@harshw So the ac infinity fan is not mounted in the box? just standing there?

@usafballer Do you think that sunon 40x20mm kpvx is less loud than the stock psu fan? Thinking whether it is worth the hassle or not

The AC Infinity Fan is just standing there, it isnt mounted. It can stand on its edge and is quite stable, i.e. it will not fall over

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: comfycat

Greetings! Thanks @harshw and @usafballer and everyone else for exploring this mod. I have the opposite problem addressed in this thread: my fans are too quiet!

I have the AORUS Gtx 1080 Gaming Box, running off a 2013 Macbook Pro, via a TB3 > TB2 adapter, and I believe this is throwing the drivers for a loop when I run Windows 10 via Bootcamp. The fans run weakly; it may be that only some of them are getting power, or that they're not getting proper speed adjustments from the drivers. I think the USB ports also don't connect to the laptop, if this is any clue. The main center fan spins and speeds up under load, but it's marginal. Also, the LED lights never come on.

Just for reference, under macOS the same gaming box performers loudly! Lights, fans, USB and everything, so it's just a mix-up under bootcamp Windows 10 which unfortunately is where I do all of my gaming.

So I came upon this thread because I'm thinking about modding the fans as a work around. Alternatively I'll also try messing with the various AORUS apps for changing fan speeds. Any suggestions?

Also wondering, what is that empty 4-pin connection near the 2-pin 40mm fan connection? For more fans perhaps?

The fans do spin up under MacOS - the main GPU fan spins at full speed. When you boot under Windows, the GPU fan spins down and so does the PSU fan (it's controlled). The two side fans spin at full speed regardless 

The best way to make sure that your fans are doing good is to watch the temps - what are the temps at idle and at load under Windows?

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Yeah it looks like a 4-pin Fan header doesn't it? Probably was meant to be a PWM controlled fan ... One of these days I will check the voltages on those pins ...

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member

Posted by: harsh
The fans do spin up under MacOS - the main GPU fan spins at full speed. When you boot under Windows, the GPU fan spins down and so does the PSU fan (it's controlled). The two side fans spin at full speed regardless

The best way to make sure that your fans are doing good is to watch the temps - what are the temps at idle and at load under Windows?

I've run the Unigine Heaven benchmark, on "Extreme", and the temps get up to 60C within the first ten minutes. I was able to adjust fan speed with the Aorus Game Engine application, which let me ramp up the fans, and this make it obvious that neither of the 40mm side fans are operating at all under Windows 10. The middle fan ramps up with the app controls, and marginally on automatic with the increase in temperature (I think it's generally a slower fan). No LEDs in Windows, and literally nothing from the 40mm. In macOS it's a different story; like I said, full everything. I found another user who said the same thing, similar configuration, also using the TB3 > TB2 adapter... Curious!

And just to clarify, I had the exact same problem with the Aorus 1070 gaming box, which I just returned, so it's not a faulty unit.

UPDATE: I just played Ghost Recon Wildlands for a couple hours, with the "auto" fan setting the temp got up to 87C, which makes me pretty nervous. I was able to manually force the fan speed to 100%, which caused it to speed up and brought the temp down to the 60C range again. Still pretty quiet, and no activity from the 40mms. Maybe I actually have something good going on here... I didn't like the LEDs anyways.

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@mehdi_fanai)

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Sorry I have been AFK for a bit here, spending time ramping up for a deployment so I've not had the time to browse the forums like usual.

If there are any outstanding questions, let me know if any need addressing.  I can report my eGPU has been working flawlessly since the fan mod.  Overall sound output stays in the low 40s even after hours of gaming.  I haven't seen any temp or stability issues yet.  You can definitely go with a resistor free setup, but I found the keep acoustics in check, it was required.  

Side fans are always operating at 12V unless you use a resistor, PSU fan is temp controlled and doesn't really ever hit 12V max.  I'd venture using two Scythe on the side fans and the Sunon I referenced in the PSU would be an easy setup without resistors, but I used a 150 ohm resistor for the sake of moving more air on the side.

As for tools, I used some soldering skills to attach the resistor and also some shrink tubing to secure things where I spliced any wires.  Other than that it's basic needle nose pliers, wire strippers, etc.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: i4min

@usafballer, amazing work, and thanks a lot for explaining your process and outlining multiple options.

Are you still happy with the setup? I'm planning to work on my new 1080 box, and am looking for a fool-proof setup, as the last time I did DUI work was a few years ago.

If I'm reading your steps correctly, the easiest setup would be:
- Sunon 40x40x20 Fan in the PSU
Scythe SY12124010L as the lower side
GDS Time 40x40x20 as the upper side fan (I wonder how much of a difference it would make to run that without a resistor to simplify setup)

Would it be too much to ask what other tools/parts would be needed for the project? Would I need a crimping tool to replace the connectors on all of these? 
I also wonder if I could get away with using a Noctua NF-A4x10 and Noctua NF-40x20 (4.8CFM + 5.5CFM) on the side, given that 1080 GPU has a larger fan compared to 1070 and would push some more air around the box.

Sorry if some of these questions are naive, any advice is highly appreciated!

I would recco going with two Scythe fans on the side if you want to avoid resistors, and one Sunon in the PSU.  The GDSTime was nice because it included the longer mounting screws which were compatible with the upper bracket on the side, but I ended up using two 40mm Sunon fans (one in the PSU and the other on the top side mount using the GDSTime screws - lol).  If you use two Scythe on the side, just run a benchmark and a game or two and monitor GPU temps for a while to see if all is well.  I know there is no way to assess the PSU temp inside the AORUS Box, so YMMV.  Without the resistor, I found both the specific Sunon model and GDSTime 40mm fan I bought didn't offer much of a change over stock fans in terms of noise!

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

Thanks for the response! I ended up getting 2 Noctua fans (40x10 and 40x20) for the sides just to stay safe. Noise-wise they should be similar to 2x Scythe but will push a little more air.
I’ll report as soon as I get a chance to work on this setup next weekend.

Good to know that your setup has been stable! Are you running in macOS or Windows?

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

I mainly run in bootcamp - don't find performance in Mac to be good enough in most titles - and I spent the time getting everything setup in Windows.  I have a few games I run off the iGPU that seems to work quite well in both OSes.  One day I hope for smooth hot plug capability in Windows though.  I've also debated just grabbing a Windows based ultrabook to pair with the eGPU - such a better experience.  Still prefer Mac OS for everything else though day to day.

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

Posted by: usafballer

I mainly run in bootcamp - don't find performance in Mac to be good enough in most titles - and I spent the time getting everything setup in Windows.  I have a few games I run off the iGPU that seems to work quite well in both OSes.  One day I hope for smooth hot plug capability in Windows though.  I've also debated just grabbing a Windows based ultrabook to pair with the eGPU - such a better experience.  Still prefer Mac OS for everything else though day to day.

Got it! What issues are you still experiencing in Windows? Do the USB ports work? Do you have to disable some of the Thunderbolt ports?
i’m actually debating whether I should get a MacBook or a windows ultrabook as my secondary laptop, and it will depend a lot on how well eGPU is supported.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: i4min
Posted by: usafballer

Got it! What issues are you still experiencing in Windows? Do the USB ports work? Do you have to disable some of the Thunderbolt ports?
i’m actually debating whether I should get a MacBook or a windows ultrabook as my secondary laptop, and it will depend a lot on how well eGPU is supported. 

USB Ports work, I have a 4TB Western Digital and literally taped a Samsung T5 500GB SSD to it as well.  Both plug into the USB ports on the Aorus Box.  I use a BT connected Xbox One controller and a BT mouse.  I find that if I do plug something in the right side TB3 ports on the MacBook, I have issues.  I haven't formally disabled anything in device manager though, I just don't use the right side ports.  I also use a 3M cable as well and it works well with minimal loss in any sort of performance.  I also have prevented Windows from updating to the Fall creators update - because I had issues originally in that build.  I also run on the half H2D firmware if you can believe it, because performance deltas aren't enough, and I found that on the full-H2D firmware some games would crash every now and then when running off the external drives.  Additionally, I have to use a script to automate disable-and then re-enabling of audio devices in order to make sure my sound card works in bootcamp!

I am not happy that the thought that a driver or firmware update could render the eGPU non functioning with my MacBook.  Even though I adore the little thing, and this eGPU setup, it's quite a duck-tape like setup.  If you don't have a need for Mac OS, or prefer it heavily, and want to go eGPU, I would stay away from Mac, even though you *CAN* get it working.  Plugging an eGPU into my windows laptop (the Dell 7577) is a breeze in comparison, even though the performance upgrade on my 7577 doesn't really warrant the use of an eGPU at this point.  There are some huge advantages to the eGPU (mainly acoustics and that I can hide the device out of sight with a 3m cable), but a lot of that is offset by the fragility of the setup.

ReplyQuote
TheAlphaLion
(@thealphalion)

Posted by: harshw

Yeah it looks like a 4-pin Fan header doesn't it? Probably was meant to be a PWM controlled fan ... One of these days I will check the voltages on those pins ...

Yes, I'm also wondering if it's a fan header or some kind of diagnostics header for the board. Would be great if it was a fan header. I'm seriously wondering if I can fit the 12mm thick Scythe Slip Stream 120mm fan ( http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-120-mm-slim.html) between the PSU and the grills. It'd do wonders for the cooling, since my box still runs pretty hot under load (the front Aorus panel is pretty hot to the touch), the PSU also gets quite a lot of heat from the backplate of the GPU.

I've also done the mod similar to harshw. 2x scythe SY124010L on the side and Sunon KDE1204PKVX at the PSU. My method was different though, I simply used a soldering iron to disconnect the wires from the original fans and then soldered them to the new fans, so I ended up keeping the same fan wires (easier since the side fan wires are short and connected in parallel, and the PSU fan wire is short and thick). 

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Guys arent the Scythes on the side too weak for the box? Id be worried..

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

The Scythes work fine with the box during heavy gaming. The one thing you could do is replace the top fan with a 40x20mm Sunon or Noctua and the bottom one with a 40x10mm Scythe. Remember that the side fans work at full voltage and are not controlled in any way whatsoever, hence you have a tradeoff between noise and (somewhat) elevated temps due to the hot air from the back of the GPU. 

In my experience, it has been okay - I have run the box at full tilt without the side AC Infinity fan and the temps have been the same as before fan replacement. 

ReplyQuote
Seohn
(@seohn)

Hi y'all, not sure if anyone will respond at this point, but I'll ask anyway. So I ordered 2 of the Scythe fans and one of the Sunon fans, but I have never crimped cables. Looked up some basic crimping tutorials, so I think I'm fine there, but I have no idea what I'm crimping here. How are the 2 Scythe fans put together into one cable? And the Sunon fan is a 3 pin connector, but how will that play out with the psu's 2 pin plug? Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
(@derdings)

Posted by: Seohn

Hi y'all, not sure if anyone will respond at this point, but I'll ask anyway. So I ordered 2 of the Scythe fans and one of the Sunon fans, but I have never crimped cables. Looked up some basic crimping tutorials, so I think I'm fine there, but I have no idea what I'm crimping here. How are the 2 Scythe fans put together into one cable? And the Sunon fan is a 3 pin connector, but how will that play out with the psu's 2 pin plug? Thanks in advance!

Hi Seohn, I've not done this mod but I can tell you something about crimping and the fan electronics.
You can combine two cables at one crimp connector. I've done this with my PC PSU cables. You have to lay both wires into the connector, align everything carefully and then crimp it. The crimping tool is able to compress the isolator into the connector. If not already done, buy a few connectors more, you will need them 😉
The fan RPM lead is not necessary. You can cut it off or leave it untouched but make sure the lead is isolated properly.

Feel free to ask whatever you need to be answered.

Greetings

Seohn liked
ReplyQuote
drifty2345
(@drifty2345)

I'm thinking of using 2 of the noctua 40mm x 40mm x10mm for the fan replacement. Is it possible to use the 40mm x 40mm x 20mm noctua fan for the PSU?

ReplyQuote
usafballer70
(@usafballer70)

I'm the same USAFBALLER from earlier in this thread - and I can continue to report after a few months my setup has remained perfectly stable.  I have no thermal issues, and overall the entire AGB box continues to run much quieter than stock.  This was a pretty easy mod, and I recco the use the two Sunon fans, one with a 150-ohm resistor in the top side of the case, and the other in the PSU.  I use a Scythe on the bottom.  If this didn't work long term (something broke, or overheat issues) - I would definitely sell the AGB and go with a quieter chassis.  As it stands right now, I have a cool and fairly quiet AGB that I can use reliably day in and day out without fail. 

I also bought an Amazon Basics "pelican" style hard case to transport the eGPU around and it fits snugly but well enough:

AmazonBasics Hard Camera Case - Small

I still may pick up one of the other boxes (Sonnet is cheaper now), or Razer Core X so I can pop an 11 series card in later this year.  I plan to pick up the Dell 9570, which means I no longer need to really bring the eGPU with me when I travel.  Although I'm not sure I will see any real benefit to upgrading to the 11 series TBH.

ReplyQuote
(@derdings)

Hey guys,

I recently swapped the fans. 
I used:
2 x SUNON HA40101V4 4500 RPM, 5.3 CFM (9 m3/h) @ 18.2 dB
and 
1 x SUNON MB40201VX 8200 RPM, 10.8 CFM (18 m3/h) @ 27.5 dB

Building:
I crimped the JST PH connectors and it’s a pain in the a** to do it with 2 wires parallel but it is possible. Be patient and leave the wire a little bit longer as needed. Maybe you need to cut off the connector and try again.

Inserting the fans is fairly simple. The PSU fan mounting holes are bigger than the originals. Because I had no (don’t know the English word: Senkkopfschraube) proper screws at home I left the fan unscrewed. It fits tight and I think it will work at first.

Temps and noise:
To be continued. The MacBook Pro is studying outside at the moment and will be back at weekends. I try everything later and keep the post updated.

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)

Posted by: DerDings

Hey guys,

I recently swapped the fans. 
I used:
2 x SUNON HA40101V4 4500 RPM, 5.3 CFM (9 m3/h) @ 18.2 dB
and 
1 x SUNON MB40201VX 8200 RPM, 10.8 CFM (18 m3/h) @ 27.5 dB

Building:
I crimped the JST PH connectors and it’s a pain in the a** to do it with 2 wires parallel but it is possible. Be patient and leave the wire a little bit longer as needed. Maybe you need to cut off the connector and try again.

Inserting the fans is fairly simple. The PSU fan mounting holes are bigger than the originals. Because I had no (don’t know the English word: Senkkopfschraube) proper screws at home I left the fan unscrewed. It fits tight and I think it will work at first.

Temps and noise:
To be continued. The MacBook Pro is studying outside at the moment and will be back at weekends. I try everything later and keep the post updated.

I'm planning on doing a very similar setup on a GIGABYTE RX580 Gaming Box. Can you let me know how you're feeling about your configuration?

I am planning on using MF40201VX-1000U-A99 (40x20mm, 12VDC, 10.8CFM, 0.96W, 27.5dBA, 8000RPM, 0.29inch H2O, Vapo Bearing, MagLev Motor) for the PSU and MF40101V1-1000U-A99 (40x10mm, 12VDC, 8CFM, 0.62W, 27.3dBA, 7000RPM, 0.19inch H2O, Vapo Bearing, MagLev Motor) for the two side fans.

I figured since the PSU is running at 27.5 dBA that I may as well run the side fans at around the same dBA... maybe that is a bad choice since the PSU fan is thermal controlled... Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
 of  2